Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from UK post-Brexit

Options
  • 06-01-2021 4:20pm

Has anyone brought equipment into the country, in the past few weeks?

Trying to get a picture of what a Celestron Nexstar Evo-6 will come to after customs and VAT.
    The retail price and delivery is £1207 (ex charges), how painful will it be to bring in though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Has anyone brought equipment into the country, in the past few weeks?

Trying to get a picture of what a Celestron Nexstar Evo-6 will come to after customs and VAT.
    The retail price and delivery is £1207 (ex charges), how painful will it be to bring in though?

Duty buying that in the UK will be the same as if you bought it from USA.
    4.2% according to this site -
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

Deduct UK VAT , add shipping , apply 4.2% Duty to the total.
    Then add Irish VAT (21%)

By my calc. - about £1230 if that £1207 includes UK vat and using £10 delivery charge.

Ogham wrote: »
    Duty buying that in the UK will be the same as if you bought it from USA.
    4.2% according to this site -
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

Deduct UK VAT , add shipping , apply 4.2% Duty to the total.
    Then add Irish VAT (21%)

By my calc. - about £1230 if that £1207 includes UK vat and using £10 delivery charge.

No that's excluding UK VAT but including shipping.

So £1522 or €1684?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

No that's excluding UK VAT but including shipping.

So £1522 or €1684?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I bought an electronic focuser, a couple of dew straps and some cables for £235 delivered by DHL from FLO. I was ordered to pay €83 customs before delivery :( 7 days earlier and I'd have paid nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

I bought an electronic focuser, a couple of dew straps and some cables for £235 delivered by DHL from FLO. I was ordered to pay €83 customs before delivery :( 7 days earlier and I'd have paid nothing.

Did FLO charge you UK VAT also? If they did, maybe you could get it refunded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

tjhook wrote: »
    Did FLO charge you UK VAT also? If they did, maybe you could get it refunded?

No I contacted FLO before ordering and this is what he said:
    FLO wrote:
    We still do not know exactly what will happen if this did knock over into the new year.

However, UK VAT will be deducted from the cost, which should offset any import duties when coming into your country, so we do not expect this to affect the price that much.

So it seems I only paid the difference in VAT + import duty + DHL's ridiculous charge. I'll get the customs papers in the post eventually, so I won't know the exact breakdown until then.

Advertisement