Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Holywell Swords

Options
  • 14-06-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at apartments and I see that Holywell is reasonably priced. What is the area like to live in? I'm also interested in Applewood if anyone has any insights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Holywell is fine, haven't heard anything negative about the area.

The apartments in Applewood are pretty much the same so not much difference. However Holywell has better access to M1 and also has a Tesco/Airside within walking distance whereas Applewood only has a small Spar.

Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I wouldn't be mad about the bottom of Applewood where the apartments are or Holywell in general myself. The reason they are reasonably priced is because they are not that desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi

I'm looking at apartments and I see that Holywell is reasonably priced. What is the area like to live in? I'm also interested in Applewood if anyone has any insights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holywell,_Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hi

Know people in Holywell. Nice area and generally better facilities locally than Applewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Inquitus wrote: »
    I wouldn't be mad about the bottom of Applewood where the apartments are or Holywell in general myself. The reason they are reasonably priced is because they are not that desirable.
    Not sure where that claim came from. Never heard anything bad about the area. People I know have been there since the beginning. What I would say is that some of the houses are a bit small, but being very well located makes up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I agree about Holywell it seems to be mostly fine , OP do you work in town if so Holywell is a much better location ,

Applewood has alot more than just a spar shop tho , a pub , chipper , bakers , hairdresser , dog groomers , a bookie , Chinese , butchers , ATM ,basically everything you need if you don't drive .

Both have pluses , if you drive I'd favour Holywell ,but I've never lived in either so don't have any concrete advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This area over to Kinsealy Malahide and Portmarnock will inevitably get a fair blast from planes taking off once the new runway opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

This area over to Kinsealy Malahide and Portmarnock will inevitably get a fair blast from planes taking off once the new runway opens.

Sure you could include Rivervalley in there too.

However if you look at the plans, planes landing towards the west will primarily land on the existing south runway with the north runway being used for takeoff. This is reversed when planes are landing easterly. I don't think it will be as bad as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

My partner and I looked at houses in both last year before purchasing a lovely house in Applewood. I work in the city centre and the Swords Express is very good for getting in and out. Holywell is closer to town but the issue with the Swords Express is they are usually full by the time they reach Holywell in the mornings if you are boarding there.

Applewood has a nice village feel to it - The pub is good, cafe, bakery and butchers are all really nice and the bonus of having Gym Plus with the pool.
    Feel free to DM me if you want any more advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Decent place to live, quiet enough, handy location. Lived there 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally I feel if you are buying you should avoid high rental areas, both Holywell and Applewood are both high rental. The best thing I ever did for my family was moving out of Applewood to Glen Ellan, 500m in distance but a world away in terms of the kids lives and the general ambience of it all. The house is smaller but I couldn't be happier. Garbage was strewn at the Applewood apartments, drug dealing, the astro and the playground were overrun with teenagers. It got particularly bad when the property crash hit and rental allowance covered rents in Applewood, prior to that it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Those areas are already under the glide path on the main current runway 10/28.

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/north-runway/about/frequently-asked-questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I lived in Holywell for 5 years and always enjoyed it. There was the occasional bit of noise from people but nothing major. This was before Tesco was built so not sure what it's like for traffic and such these days. Also the Swords Express stops on the main road so quick and handy bus service to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Bluezar wrote: »
    Holywell is closer to town but the issue with the Swords Express is they are usually full by the time they reach Holywell in the mornings if you are boarding there.

It's usually not a problem. If the main Swords Express bus is full there is a back up bus which has plenty of space. There's also the option of the 142 and the 41x which passes Holywell and goes through the tunnel in the morning.

I live near Holywell and have never heard of any problems, my only complaint would be that estate seems a bit soulless.

Advertisement