Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Balbriggan to Dublin

Options
  • 22-05-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner are thinking about buying a house in Balbriggan. I work in the city centre, near Baggot St. and would like to hear of people's experiences of commuting from Balbriggan to the city centre. How are the buses (101x, 33 etc) and trains? Are they frequent enough? Are they always full? Would you always get a seat or not? If I was able to get a seat and work on the train that would be a big plus for me. I have a car and could drive some days, so it would be good to hear how people find the drive too, although I prefer the idea of public transport. Google maps tells me the drive is only 35 minutes, but is that accurate during rush hour?

I know Balbriggan isn't the most sought after location, but with our budget of €200,000, it's about all we can afford.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

marykat749 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner are thinking about buying a house in Balbriggan. I work in the city centre, near Baggot St. and would like to hear of people's experiences of commuting from Balbriggan to the city centre. How are the buses (101x, 33 etc) and trains? Are they frequent enough? Are they always full? Would you always get a seat or not? If I was able to get a seat and work on the train that would be a big plus for me. I have a car and could drive some days, so it would be good to hear how people find the drive too, although I prefer the idea of public transport. Google maps tells me the drive is only 35 minutes, but is that accurate during rush hour?

I know Balbriggan isn't the most sought after location, but with our budget of €200,000, it's about all we can afford.

Thanks!

Depends what time you would be leaving at? But rush hour you wouldn't be doing it in 35 mins. Covid might change things though. Less people on buses, less people having to commute to work etc. Take a day off work and drive to balbriggan and then drive to town at the time you expect to be leaving at would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Would you always get a seat or not?...
    The bicycle is your friend. Healthy, no fuel costs, no fares, no parking charges and always guaranteed a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I work in the city centre, near Baggot St.

I used to do the commute at off peak times (very late at night or early morning) from Balbriggan to near O' Connell Street and it would take me about 40- 45 minutes. I would say you should easily double it for rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Worked with someone who commuted to Baggot Street about 20 years ago. At that time it was the usual CIE headmelt of train strikes, breakdowns general unreliability. Heartbreaking. Thats all I know but I would research from someone who actually lives there now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the 33 bus route is about to end if bus connects happens, it'll be replaced by a bus to Dublin airport, and then another from the airport into the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say it is unlikely you would get a seat on the train in Balbriggan at rush hour, I think it fills up (or at least all the seats do) before it gets to Balbriggan. If a seat is vital to work then the bus is your better option. Dublin Bus pretty slow though. Not sure if Matthews bus have anything in or around Balbriggan. Swords express could be another option if you're willing to drive somewhere to get it, after that it goes through the post tunnel very quickly and you could hop off on the quays and take a Dublin bike to Baggot St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Up until March i would have been getting the train every day. I would very rarely not get a seat, though on the train i took you would need to stand in the right place to get one. Also, getting on at Pearse you have your best chance of a seat on the way back. There were earlier trains that had better availability though. I work near leeson St and would never consider driving in, but maybe that's just me. Of course you'd have some delays from time to time but I found them reasonably reliable. No idea what timetable like at the moment or when it'll be back to normal but there would be additional trains at rush hour, but then about one an hour outside of that and at non peak times / weekends you'd have to change at Connolly, which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

At the peak of the Celtic Tiger you wouldn't have got a seat on the train at Balbriggan. However nowadays you can 9 times out of 10. The only exception to that is the train 6.44am train. As it's only 4 carriages long, not all Balbriggan passengers get a seat - the first few on will but not everyone. All other trains have 8 carriages.

Research all the options mentioned by previous posters and add the 191 from Millfield Shopping Centre to Eden Quay via the Port Tunnel to your list.

https://www.balbriggan.info/balbriggan-express-191-bus-timetable/

Oh and Matthews Coach don't go through Balbriggan. They stop at the CityNorth Hotel at exit 7 on the M1 and then go straight down the M1 via the Port Tunnel to the City Centre. So that's not an option really.

Driving in yourself could take anything from 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours. I just don't go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Driving to City North , parking there and getting the Matthews bus from there is very doable . Drive is less than 10 mins then about 30 mins on the bus .
    More or less guaranteed a seat .

Driving to City North , parking there and getting the Matthews bus from there is very doable . Drive is less than 10 mins then about 30 mins on the bus .
    More or less guaranteed a seat .

Thats what I had thought, even though the OP would be driving backwards in the wrong direction at least when they get it it flys up the M1 into the Port Tunnel and is in the city centre in no time. Equally the Swords Express might be just as quick.

Anyway if others are saying it is possible to get a seat on the train at Balbriggan that sounds a good way to go. I had just presumed that all the seats would be gone by the time it leaves Drogheda and the other stops like Laytown and Gormanstown.

Just another thing OP have you considered looking at Kildare as in Naas/Newbrige? Apartments available there for about 200k and good rail links to Dublin as well, Newbridge in particular has a morning train from Cork that stops there as its last stop and then bullets it into the city in about 30-35 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats what I had thought, even though the OP would be driving backwards in the wrong direction at least when they get it it flys up the M1 into the Port Tunnel and is in the city centre in no time. Equally the Swords Express might be just as quick.
    The traffic can be backed up beyond exit 7 a couple of times a week due to an accident or whatever. I think driving back on yourself is madness TBH. The 101 Express goes through the Port Tunnel as well. You could park opposite the church in Balbriggan for free and catch it at the church bus stop. I've no clue of how busy it gets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I commute from Drogheda (well before the lockdown) on the train.

You will get a seat at Balbriggan if you are quick and don't jump on the most obvious carriage. You will get to baggot street in about an hour, bit quicker if you bring a fold up bike.

Be careful with Balbriggan, on my opinion it is a total kip, and as someone who lives in Drogheda I think I'm pretty qualified to recognise a kip. I wouldn't live there of you paid me, there's a reason why the house prices are the same as Drogheda even though it's in County Dublin.

Be careful with Balbriggan, on my opinion it is a total kip, and as someone who lives in Drogheda I think I'm pretty qualified to recognise a kip. I wouldn't live there of you paid me, there's a reason why the house prices are the same as Drogheda even though it's in County Dublin.

Didnt want to say that but its why I suggested that the OP see is there anything in Kildare within their budget. Unfortunately the long term outlook for Balbriggan as a nice place to live and bring up kids isnt great. Some parts of it are okay but the OP needs to do their research on what estates are like, they dont want to end up living next to feuding families.

If Gormanstown/Stamillen is in their budget that would be a better option even though it is further out from the city. Train station at Gormanstown too and its only a few minutes up the track from Balbriggan. .

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

I would say that you would get a poor house or one in the least desired areas of Balbriggan for 200k. You might need to add an additional 50k to get something decent if you are looking for a house

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The 101X is a great service. I haven't been on it in my weeks though. Usually took 45-55 mins from Balbriggan to Wilton Terrace depending on traffic. You're pretty much guaranteed a seat up to the stop before Wavin. If you don't get a seat you don't get on - no standing allowed on a coach service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marykat749

Thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate it, this has been extremely informative, lots of food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi OP,

I'm living in Balbriggan myself for the last 9 years and in one of the cheaper estates too :eek:

I commuted for most of that time on the train and pretty much always got a seat, you'll figure out where to stand to get one. I occasionally cycled into the city centre but that was an exception rather than the norm.

In regards to Balbriggan, I bought here because it's in a great location and I didn't want to be burdened with a large mortgage each month. Close enough to the city centre that it's very commutable by road, rail and bus but close to Swords and Drogheda too if you don't want to go into town but still have good shops to visit. There's also wonderful countryside too and multiple beaches.

Like anywhere there are one or two estates you wouldn't want to live on but my own, which was cheap, is lovely. I haven't experienced any serious issues in the time I've been here. People are friendly, the estate is clean with plenty of areas's for kids to play on and they are out playing each day of summer on the estate.

It's very easy to generalise about an area but I think it's better you do your own research into it rather than take advice from people who haven't lived there and possibly never even visited it to any great degree. It's not a dream destination by any measure but it's a good place to put down some roots and start building your life.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I bought 15 years ago, spent a few years abroad in between but living there full time the last 6 years. I'm not in one of the newer estates, maybe missing out on a lot of the problems? I've found it great over the last few months, being able to go to the beach etc. Yes, there are a lot of things that could be improved, but I'm not sure where would be better for similar money.
    Anyway, on the topic of commuting, i have to go into Dublin tomorrow and don't have access to car. What are the trains like these days. Is the social distancing being maintained?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would they get a house for 200k in Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would they get a house for 200k in Balbriggan?

You can, aye. Not sufe what those areas are like though!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-north-county/house-for-sale-in-balbriggan?maxprice=225000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP,

Id look at Ashbourne or Swords 1st before looking at Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭GIMP

You won't get much in either town for the ops budget of 200k. Ashbourne is expensive for anything like a 3 bed. Swords worse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I'd push towards laytown and Drogheda even though the commute will be a bit longer. Or look into Kildare, Portarlington, Portlaoise etc.

Yeah Balbriggan is the cheapest area to buy a house that is within 15 mile radius of Dublin city centre. Not sure what prices in Stamullen/Gormanstown are like but they are only a few miles up the road so might also be an option.

Advertisement