Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Up Chemistry as an External Candidate; Need a H2

• 07-02-2021 5:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey, I am planning on sitting the chemistry exam in June. I did my LC a few years ago and did not do chemistry. I am on illness benefit atm so my income, well I'm in debt from basic necessities like rent and food shopping, getting grinds and a tutor is soooo out of the question. On the one positive side, as I am sick I am not at work so can dedicate time to study when my symptoms aren't flaring up-which happens numerous times a day but I can work around that I guess. I need a H2, yes I need to start and finish the course in 4 months and be so excelent at it I get a minimum of 80 per cent. Big ask. Has anyone tips or hints or resources? Obviously I know practice is key, to do as many past papers as possible, but anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Hey, I am planning on sitting the chemistry exam in June. I did my LC a few years ago and did not do chemistry. I am on illness benefit atm so my income, well I'm in debt from basic necessities like rent and food shopping, getting grinds and a tutor is soooo out of the question. On the one positive side, as I am sick I am not at work so can dedicate time to study when my symptoms aren't flaring up-which happens numerous times a day but I can work around that I guess. I need a H2, yes I need to start and finish the course in 4 months and be so excelent at it I get a minimum of 80 per cent. Big ask. Has anyone tips or hints or resources? Obviously I know practice is key, to do as many past papers as possible, but anyone have any advice?

I caught your other post before clicking into this one: did you sit and pass the GAMSAT? I suspect Chemistry will be fairly straightforward if so.

I did as you’re doing but along with Biology and got A1s in both; and if I can do it just about anyone can.

You could study essentially for free by just going through the syllabus documents from the Dept. and taking advantage of YouTube and resources like Khan Academy. Then in terms of exam practice the usual going through past papers.

I would however recommend something like the Chemistry Live book assuming it’s still available; I found it useful especially for the experiments which you may not find as easily from other sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

ronivek wrote: »
    I caught your other post before clicking into this one: did you sit and pass the GAMSAT? I suspect Chemistry will be fairly straightforward if so.

I did as you’re doing but along with Biology and got A1s in both; and if I can do it just about anyone can.

You could study essentially for free by just going through the syllabus documents from the Dept. and taking advantage of YouTube and resources like Khan Academy. Then in terms of exam practice the usual going through past papers.

I would however recommend something like the Chemistry Live book assuming it’s still available; I found it useful especially for the experiments which you may not find as easily from other sources.
    I did the GAMSAT 2 years ago-its still good for UK entry, where I got a 57 in science, but I know if I was to take it today I would probably struggle to even pass. I studied science in college and really struggled in my first year as that was the general year-I specified into biology based subjects after that. I got an A1 in Bio back in the day, but tbh I am afraid of struggling with chemistry, I actually did do it for like a month or two in 5th year and truly struggled so I swapped to a different subject. That's amazing btw, congrats on the A1s-Ill definitely look into those tips-do you have any other general advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I did the GAMSAT 2 years ago-its still good for UK entry, where I got a 57 in science, but I know if I was to take it today I would probably struggle to even pass. I studied science in college and really struggled in my first year as that was the general year-I specified into biology based subjects after that. I got an A1 in Bio back in the day, but tbh I am afraid of struggling with chemistry, I actually did do it for like a month or two in 5th year and truly struggled so I swapped to a different subject. That's amazing btw, congrats on the A1s-Ill definitely look into those tips-do you have any other general advice?

A couple of tools you may not be familiar with which can help (although not specific to Chemistry):
    1. Pomodoro Technique: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique: really simple time management technique which I found particularly useful to help with difficult days or periods where I wasn't feeling great. You may already have heard of it or tried it.
    2. Spaced Repetition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition: you've likely used a form of this in the past with flashcards but something like Anki takes all the guesswork out of how often you should review your cards. Also super easy to just copy something from a site or document and slap it onto a digital flashcard to look up later.

Other than that if you can just stay consistent and do a little every day you'll finish the course before you know it. It's very doable; and any sticking points you have I guarantee Khan Academy or YouTube will have plenty to help you get unstuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eman1234

ronivek wrote: »

Hi, I am planning on repeating as an external candidate this year and am doing biology, physics and chemistry. How did you go about doing the labwork for biology and chemistry. If not, do you think the SEC will cancel my exams if I don't do it ?

Advertisement