Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP or Python

Options
  • 29-12-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

I am looking to make some fairly simple and similar looking sites and down through the years I would have used PHP for this. But havn't made any sites now for a few years and people say PHP on the way out. Should I be looking at some python framework to make it with instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Without much else to go on, for "fairly simple and similar looking" websites I think PHP is a better option that Python. There's much more support and emphasis for that sort of thing within the PHP community, whereas Python would be more geared towards machine learning and more 'serious' programming.

'Old PHP' was justifiably lambasted but there have been huge improvements in the last few years and it's a solid choice for web development. The Laravel framework, and it's associated tools, community, and documentation, is a great place to start: https://laravel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Goodshape wrote: »
    Without much else to go on, for "fairly simple and similar looking" websites I think PHP is a better option that Python. There's much more support and emphasis for that sort of thing within the PHP community, whereas Python would be more geared towards machine learning and more 'serious' programming.

'Old PHP' was justifiably lambasted but there have been huge improvements in the last few years and it's a solid choice for web development. The Laravel framework, and it's associated tools, community, and documentation, is a great place to start: https://laravel.com/

That iis good news about PHP anyway. If there was a quicker and tidier way of making a site in Python I woulld be tempted since Ive written a nice bit of it in recent times. Just never for webby stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Goodshape wrote: »
    The Laravel framework, and it's associated tools, community, and documentation, is a great place to start: https://laravel.com/

To add to this, checkout TailWind CSS, JetStream and LiveWire. You can skeleton a full app in hours. It's almost comical how fast you can build an MVP.

PHP just got it's 8.0 release and it powers WordPress, which in turn powers a huge portion of the web. It's going nowhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a few Python based frameworks for building sites, but unless you have a burning desire to use Python "just because" stick with PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Though the use of PHP is decreasing but it offers more frameworks as compared to the Python. It is also the choice of web developers and Python is preferred for AI and data science projects. In short, both have their pros and limitations and you should see which one is more compatible with your project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Most people dislike PHP purely because it is old not even realizing that "old" PHP5 is completely different than PHP7 or 8.
    And for someone who started with HTML / CSS and just want to progress PHP seems like natural next step (unless brave to start with JS ;)

While Python seems to be tool on its own good for data management and presentation in form of websites if having any other advantage over PHP.

I remember trying to create web service with Ruby / Rails few years ago (purely because I realized I have Ruby as part of my hosting) and struggling at every step with conscious of how much easier it wound be done in PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CodeApples

probably not the answer you are looking for, but you can make fairly simple but usable websites using something like Wix, which also has some coding options for anything more demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

CodeApples wrote: »
    probably not the answer you are looking for, but you can make fairly simple but usable websites using something like Wix, which also has some coding options for anything more demanding.

And Wix is build using Scala / Java

Advertisement