Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subjects easier to get H1 in?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I’m going into fifth year and I’ve chosen German, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Art.

I’ve been researching more about these subjects and preparing myself, and according to most articles Art is the hardest H1 to get. Apparently the marking scheme is very subjective? It makes sense, I don’t think there is a proper guideline to mark projects/drawing and it’s entirely based on the examiners opinion.

This really worries me. I’m aiming for high points and it’s terrifying to think the Art examiner might give me a H6 on my drawing just because it doesn’t provoke a “”deep and emotional”” response no matter how hard I work at it.

I feel like it’s much safer to do a subject without subjective marking, just a marking scheme on whether it’s right or wrong and no wiggle room so my hard work can actually pay off. Only thing is, I have no clue on what to do instead.. I’m already doing the three sciences.

What would you recommend based on that criteria?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Can you do history or business? Are you any good at maths, because there's always applied maths or accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Home ec is generally easy enough if you're good at learning off information. It also overlaps a good bit with Biology and 20% is done before the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Its not subjective - there are guidelines in place for marking. Also it's not a reflection on the difficulty of one subject over another. The reason there are so few H1 is that the LC is graded on a curve. Right now the government want more people doing STEM subjects so they get higher marks. If it was decided that society needed more artists and musicians then you'd see Art and Music start to get higher marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Technical Drawing (if it's still called that) used to have the highest percentage of top grades, kind of art-y, but just stick to the formula for answering the questions, draw neat lines, and get 100%....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Technical Drawing (if it's still called that) used to have the highest percentage of top grades, kind of art-y, but just stick to the formula for answering the questions, draw neat lines, and get 100%....

Only problem with that subject is it can hard to get teachers, let alone any sort of decent ones for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tiktoktoegirl

I think it’s called DCG for LC? It isn’t offered at my school anyways (or technical drawing for JC), a shame because it definitely looks like something I’d really enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tiktoktoegirl

Its not subjective - there are guidelines in place for marking. Also it's not a reflection on the difficulty of one subject over another. The reason there are so few H1 is that the LC is graded on a curve. Right now the government want more people doing STEM subjects so they get higher marks. If it was decided that society needed more artists and musicians then you'd see Art and Music start to get higher marks.

That’s true, but of course the guidelines would be more vague compared to science/maths subjects where there is simply a right or wrong answer.

I’ll try art out this week and the next, I’ll see how I get on and then I’ll consider changing if it isn’t for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

That’s true, but of course the guidelines would be more vague compared to science/maths subjects where there is simply a right or wrong answer.

I’ll try art out this week and the next, I’ll see how I get on and then I’ll consider changing if it isn’t for me.

You need to study subjects where there is a degree of cross over, home economics, biology and agri-science. All three have common subject material. Reducing the amount of study..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you're any way good at maths and physics and applying formula to real world scenarios then Applied Maths is the way to go. Hard to get it timetabled in some schools though, a lot do it during lunch or outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Geography or Home Ec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

I did economic history and home economics for points ( a good while ago though!)
    Economic history- did outside of school as a grind. Sinfully boring but helped my points.
    Home economics- the majority of my class who did home ec were messers, so I think it was easier to do well. A lot of learning off by heart which suited me. The paper was vert formulaic which helped i.e. Q1A was always on a nutrient or vitamin so you could bank certain points for that.
    If you're a logical thinker Accounting is a good one. Once you can understand the logic behind the different types of accounts then you can pretty much do the majority of the questions in that area.

Best of luck with it all. If you're really worried after 5th year you can take up a subject in 6th year. That's what I did for economic history cause I knew I was screwed in English!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Ag Science has a very small course and a great uptake as the grades are usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

mycro2013 wrote: »
    You need to study subjects where there is a degree of cross over, home economics, biology and agri-science. All three have common subject material. Reducing the amount of study..

Just watch out when taking Biology and Ag science IF you only do 6 subjects. These subjects are counted for points but not as separate for matriculation purposes in TCD I know. Too much of overlap apparently. Seems strange to allow for points but not matric requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ag Science has a very small course and a great uptake as the grades are usually good.

It's not a small course and what does 'the grades are usually good' even mean? H1s are not given out like penny sweets. People seem to be under the impression that it's an easy H1 and it's not.

No subject is an easy H1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

xraylady wrote: »
    Just watch out when taking Biology and Ag science IF you only do 6 subjects. These subjects are counted for points but not as separate for matriculation purposes in TCD I know. Too much of overlap apparently. Seems strange to allow for points but not matric requirements.

It would be worth finding out from TCD if this is changing as Ag Science has a new syllabus which is going to be examined for the first time in 2021. There is pretty much no overlap between the subjects now. What is there is minimal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No subject is an easy H1.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I’m going into fifth year and I’ve chosen German, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Art.

I’ve been researching more about these subjects and preparing myself, and according to most articles Art is the hardest H1 to get. Apparently the marking scheme is very subjective? It makes sense, I don’t think there is a proper guideline to mark projects/drawing and it’s entirely based on the examiners opinion.

This really worries me. I’m aiming for high points and it’s terrifying to think the Art examiner might give me a H6 on my drawing just because it doesn’t provoke a “”deep and emotional”” response no matter how hard I work at it.

I feel like it’s much safer to do a subject without subjective marking, just a marking scheme on whether it’s right or wrong and no wiggle room so my hard work can actually pay off. Only thing is, I have no clue on what to do instead.. I’m already doing the three sciences.

What would you recommend based on that criteria?

Applied Maths if you are good at Maths.

Advertisement