Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights off at Motorway junctions

Options
  • 03-09-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Noticed this yesterday. Whole of M6 from kilbeggan to Athlone unlit at junctions.

Was this planned? Really if theyre trying to save electricity costs then just leave a few of them on to highlight the junction. Seems quite unsafe the way it has been done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Noticed this yesterday. Whole of M6 from kilbeggan to Athlone unlit at junctions.

Was this planned? Really if theyre trying to save electricity costs then just leave a few of them on to highlight the junction. Seems quite unsafe the way it has been done.

They have been trying this at junction 3 on the M6 with a view to doing it on more of the rural junctions. It’s just the main line lights that are off, the slips etc are still lit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Capex of installing solar lights would be the equivalent of leaving the existing ones running for years and years. So no, its not happening.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

TII published some safety data year ago that showed that keeping the mainline unlit at junctions was safer because drivers eyes didn't need to adjust from dark to light and back again. I'd imagine there's very little money saved by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

This work is actually just bringing older junctions in line with the lighting standards that all newer junctions have been built to, with a reduced lighting footprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

markpb wrote: »
    TII published some safety data year ago that showed that keeping the mainline unlit at junctions was safer because drivers eyes didn't need to adjust from dark to light and back again. I'd imagine there's very little money saved by doing this.

Yeah I think it's safety first and light pollution second. I don't think money really came into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

We have a terrible record on light pollution in this country. Good to see sensible changes like this. Should be a lot more done of course.

Advertisement