Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help connecting VM 360 box

Options
  • 05-01-2021 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if any of you TV / Broadband gurus can help and if this is an appropriate forum to ask for help.

Basically my situation is this:

I have a Horizon media box. It provides Wifi and a basic Virgin TV package (RTE, BBC, TG4 ITV and a few others plus these channels +1 for an hour later).

The girlfriend decided that she wanted to upgrade to get a few more channels Scyfy and stuff like that) and a higher internet connection so ordered an upgrade from Virgin.

Today the Virgin 360 box arrived. Now I'm a technical guy in that I am an IT nerd but stuff like TV's and media boxes make my blood freeze as I can NEVER seem to get them to work or what they send is either wrong, missing a part or my existing setup (which couldn't be simpler) is not working with the new box or what not.

So, my existing Horizon box has a coax cable from the little Virgin box on the wall to its coax socket on the back of the box. Then there is of course the power cable, a phone cable connected to a landline (I know...medieval) and a HDMI cable to the back of the telly. All good. TV works, wifi works, landline works when I decide to use it once a year.

Now the VM 360 box set up requires a coax cable connection in to it, a HDMI connection to the telly and an internet connection either via WIFI or Ethernet cable to the router/modem/hub whatever you want to call it which is my original Horizon box.

Of course I disconnect the coax from the Horizon box and plug it into the back of the VM360 box, then connect 360 box via HDMI to the telly then power up.

The setup up program on the telly starts (location...Ireland, etc) then asks to connect the VM 360 to the internet. I connect it via ethernet cable to the Horizon box and it tries to connect but can't...surprise surprise because the Horizon box is no longer connected to the wall Virgin box (which only has one connector) so the wifi is offline (phone, laptop etc confirmed this).

I then tried reconnecting the Horizon box to the wall and just connecting the VM 360 box to the Horizon box via Ethernet cable and also VM360 box to telly via HDMI. It tried to install some updates, rebooted and eventually failed with a CS1010 error saying "unable to retrieve your settings. Try again after 30 minutes"

Rebooted and tried again and again. The wifi is ok but the 360 box is not happening.

So, am I doing something wrong OR does it mean that I need to have a coax cable going from the wall to the VM360 box AND one going to the original Horizon box since without a wall connection to the original Horizon box I have no wifi. I actually thought this new VM 360 box would replace the old Horizon box but it appears that the 360 is only a TV box....no wifi on it.

I also thought that the 360 box might just work with an ethernet connection to the Horizon box to get the TV channels but that's probably not how it works.

So that's my predicament. Do I need to get some kind of a splitter for the single-connector Virgin wall unit and run a coax cable to both Horizon TV/internet box and another to the VM360 box and have the VM360 then connect to the telly via HDMI and connect to the Horizon box via ethernet?

Sorry for the epic, long-winded description but thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Hey

Nowhere does the old hZN box be used anymore. In this setup this gets binned.

The setup requires two things 1) RF for TV progammes via Coax from the wall to the 360 box and 2)DOCIS (Internet) via coax to the new modem. For this you need a splitter and a new modem. You should have gotten both from VM.

Wall socket>Coax> splitter >
    Splitter>VM Modem (new to your setup if you used the old hzn box for broadband previously)
    Splitter>New 360 Box

The 360 Box also needs an internet connection for Replay, Video on demand. Nertflix etc etc etc

So Part 2 is

>360 box > WPS wireless to new modem
    or
    >360 Box> Ethernet cable to new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the Horizon box goes into recycling, it's now dead. You need a new broadband router because the TV360 box doesn't have networking built in as the Horizon box did. It's now a separate box with wi-fi and four Ethernet ports. And as it will be close to the wall point, you should connect one of the four ports to the TV360 box using an Ethernet cable. The co-ax signal from the wall will go into a (VM supplied) splitter from where there will be co-ax cables, one to the TV360 box and the other to the broadband router.

Tell VM they should have sent you a broadband router.

Advertisement