Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polyamourous curiosities

Options
  • 16-07-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I was just wondering what everyone's views on polyamoury and raising children/teenagers with pagan polyamourous parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

As long as the children are loved and in a supportive environment which meets their needs and all the relationships which they see modeled are respectful ones then so what tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

You might be interested in this:

http://www.meetup.com/Polyamory-Ireland/

They meet once a month to discuss polyamory and how it affects their lives. I think some members are pagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Dont think theres much interest for this topic mods please close!

I am not so sure of lack of interest so much as lack of applicability. It is so rare and unheard of (relatively) that most people do not stop to consider it much. Though one can always stimulate interest in ones threads if one actually partakes in them :) You do not appear to have even responded to the first two people who replied to it. Were you planning on being an observer only - or partaking?

I am - I guess - actually living in the kind of relationship you describe. The polyamoury part that is - though I have never used or reffered to myself in that label. I have little to no knowledge of "paganism" - what it is - or if it applies to me in any way at all - or how it applies to the polyamoury topic?

I have been with my two partners for over a decade now. We have lived together for most of that - have 2 of 4 planned children - a house - a canine - the works. We are in every way the same as any standard couple with the sole exception of the number of us in the relationship. It is no different in any other noticeable way however.

As for raising children - we are doing so far so good - with a now 4 year old and a now 6 month old.

Just a few things.....

It actually never occured to me that I wasnt partaking, it is my first thread so my apologies to all.

I have a mild curiosity in polyamoury simply because my brother in law has taken on another wife with children and his family are going ballistic, me personally I think let them get on with it.

It is in my ignorance I posted this thread here as my brother in law is a practising wiccan/ pagan i assumed both were synonymous with each other. Not to offend any religions or beliefs, I am aware its a choice.

taxAHcruel - Out of curiosity do you think the children will find it difficult when they become aware your relationship is different from the norm?

Do you find that people who dont know you very well judge you harshly?

These questions are not ment to be offensive, ill admit I am ignorant in this topic.

• Advertisement

Howdy again - No problems with questions. I like talking about myself as much as the next person :)

No - I do not think the choice has anything to do with paganism per se. I can not even think of any link that might have led you to this - except as you say that they were both localised in your brother in law. I am certainly one of the least religious people on the forum for a start. I only accidentally found this thread in fact - as I do not even read the paganism section.

I do not really expect the children will be bothered much by it at all. Children of gay parents for example - or of single parents - appear to me to grow up not with confusion about the differences in their family structure - but rather with a better awareness that family structures _can and do_ differ - than their peers from "standard" family units. They are not confused at all by their situation - and in fact appear to understand the variety in the world of family better than "normal" children I think.

Me and the girls are not overtly or obviously "together" in public so most people who do not know us do not even notice the dynamic. So it is rarely a problem. There have been a couple of occasions where someone in a pub or night club has somehow copped the dynamic - leading to drunken guys with a mis-applied sense of chivalry to feel they need to some how "defend" the girls in the form of bringing violence to me. Thankfully - thus far at least - such encounters have ended well for me and badly for them. But one does wish such things would not come to pass.

Other than that most people either do not notice - or do not care. In our circle of friends a couple of people took badly to it and left our lives as friends - for whatever reasons - but they are by far the minority in our experience.

^ Thanks I feel like an idiot for even starting a thread on this, I appreciate your input and somewhat less prejudiced.
    Again you hit the nail on the head when my association between polyamoury and paganism are linked to brother in law.

Advertisement