Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicca as contd from christianity forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

so then ... what's revealed on initiation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You have to be initiated to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Dang! thought I might catch someone with their guards down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cactus Col wrote:

pure wholesome humour. i love these posts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Asiaprod wrote:
    Sapien, My regards as always.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but are we talking Correllian Wicca here. which was introduced in 1479, and is descended via marriage from Cherokee Didanvwisgi and a line of Scottish Traditional Witches. The descendants of which were further influenced by Aradian Witchcraft and by the Spiritualist Church. What happened prior to 1479 and what is the Cherokee influence. Did a net search but must have been looking in the wrong place.
    ?
    Given the few different changes that have gone on (as is the case with any group of course) it's hard to place exactly when the Correllian tradition should best be said to have started, but the best date is probably 1992.

Even the claim of 1479 is using a calendar based on the Age of Pisces, and dating the start of that Age at 400BCE, so when they say "1479" they mean 1879. So even accepting the Correllians claims to their history and agreeing with them as to when the tradition should best be claimed to have begun it goes back no furhter than 1879.

Even accepting the claim about Scottish Traditional Witches, and even if none of the practices inhereted from them had been lost or altered, that would not make them Wiccan in the stricter sense.

• Advertisement

Cactus Col wrote:
    LOL. Of course the most important revelations aren't a matter of secrets but of experiences that take place during and/or because of the initiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

Talliesin wrote:
    LOL. Of course the most important revelations aren't a matter of secrets but of experiences that take place during and/or because of the initiation.
    I'm so glad you said "the most important".
    It really bugs me when people say "all of the".
    I've had this out with several people who's spiritual paths, while perfectly valid, just aren't wicca. <satire basis="experience">"What do you mean I can't preform the Great Rite with Artemis and Lugh, they'd make such a cute couple"</satire>

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

"What do you mean I can't preform the Great Rite with Artemis and Lugh, they'd make such a cute couple"</satire>

Reading that I instantly thought of this strip. I think it pretty much sums up everyone's thoughts on the consept of pix'n'mix pantheons.

http://www.accendi.net/putf/archives/?strip=002

NeilJ wrote:
    I think it pretty much sums up everyone's thoughts on the consept of pix'n'mix pantheons.
    LOL. I would say though that sometimes mixing from pantheons works.
    Aradia and Cernunnous have been used as the public names of the Gods of the Wicca, though Aradia comes from Tuscan Witchcraft (dated in her own tale as 14th Century) and Cernunnous is Celtic, but the two can stand beside each other quite comfortably.

Other mixtures can work, and some can work for some people, and indeed this practice is quite ancient (though often done in an arguably capricious way).

Talking of the Gods on the Wicca touches on another difference between Wicca and other forms of modern Pagan Witchcraft, which akari no ryu hinted at. Wicca in the stricter sense works with a particular God and Goddess, the names of which are not revealed publicly. The Wicca may work with other deities much like other Pagan Witches do, but the patron Gods of the traditions are very much private to those who have been introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

Talliesin wrote:
    LOL. I would say though that sometimes mixing from pantheons works.
    Aradia and Cernunnous have been used as the public names of the Gods of the Wicca, though Aradia comes from Tuscan Witchcraft (dated in her own tale as 14th Century) and Cernunnous is Celtic, but the two can stand beside each other quite comfortably.

Other mixtures can work, and some can work for some people, and indeed this practice is quite ancient (though often done in an arguably capricious way).

Talking of the Gods on the Wicca touches on another difference between Wicca and other forms of modern Pagan Witchcraft, which akari no ryu hinted at. Wicca in the stricter sense works with a particular God and Goddess, the names of which are not revealed publicly. The Wicca may work with other deities much like other Pagan Witches do, but the patron Gods of the traditions are very much private to those who have been introduced.
    Yes, but the key difference between Wicca and the people I was satiring is, Wiccans believe the Gods are aspects of the Lord and the Goddesses are aspects of the Lady. The person who inspired that post is convinced that the Goddess she's devoted to is the Lady that Wiccans worship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement