Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanna get a dog... q's..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

sporina wrote: »
    Have no prob walking the dog or taking it to a kennel if i wanna go on hols - but I do have an issue with it being on its own in the house for too long.. i would not do that to it..

Defo gonna get onto the rescue centre or what ever there is here in Cork..

Also, I am gonna put a "dog walking ad" up in the local shop...

Thanks a mill for all the replies.. and indeed.. as someone said - one with batteries might be more suitable for me at the mo lol..

Hi OP - I’m not sure if you are offering yourself as a dog walker or checking to find one ! Just in case - a lot of people use either a daily dog walker who comes to their house when they are at work and walks their dog - leaving you with only one ling and maybe a second short morning walk to do. (Hence dog people loving the whole work from home thing - less expense and
    more pet!) . Before the lockdown people used also use doggy day care where you could drop your dog in amd it would romp, be walked, and play (or snooze) all day while you were at work. A lot have closed now for the period while the covid is about but there used be a fair few in cork that I knew of as well as in Dublin.

As for offering yourself to commercially walk dogs if you’ve no experience I’d be a little wary. Peoples pets are the most precious thing they own & there is a bit of a knack to each dog & a lot of responsibility involved - people are very quick to photograph and call the dog warden who are commercially motivated and the fine for misbehaving or ‘out of control’ dogs goes to the person with/ walking the dog - not the owner. e130.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Nonsense

We went to florida start of year and we have a lovely lady we pay to look after them.... cost us 200 euro for 14 days and nights and I believe that's good value ..... you'll find these people if you take the time and pay them.

That depends on your attitude to dogs, and not everyones the same. That works for you, but it's quite rude and ignorant to dismiss the suggestion of not going on holidays as nonsense.

I agree with not going on holidays. Wouldn't leave my dogs with anyone else, no more I'd leave a child with a stranger. It's been staycations for the last 7 years and the dogs have been on every one.

I'd prefer achill with the dogs for two weeks than florida without them. I'd miss them too much.

OP - a dog once walked and fed and comfortable ( ie indoors with its entertainment/ toys & usually on your couch) - once its not a puppy is usually OK to leave alone for a few hours - but not the whole day. 3 or 4 hours thou would be typically ok for a (not a puppy ) dog! If its a puppy you’d need to be there to check its ok, keep it company, stop it chewing your shoes/couch/skirting-boards etc and help it with its house training. So now woupd ge a great time if you are home all day to get one a be there to train it and supervise (love) it and set it settled in as a well adjusted, nicely trained bundle of love.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge if its something you think is right for you and that your lifestyle and pocket can facilitate.
    Here’s some idea of practical costs at the
    moment!

Pet - purchase - skys your limit
    Pet - rescue - about e250
    Allinaz Pet Insurance - e200 ( a must have from puppy age - seriously keeps massive costs away)

Dog food & treats from e100-e200 per month depending on size dog & choice of food/delivery

Dog bed & startup collar/leads etc - e100-e150
    Vet shots for puppy & 1st vet visit - e120 aprox
    Puppy/Dog worming tablets - e30 aprox p.a.

Ongoing and Annual Stuff:
    Dog walker if working away from home daily fee
    Holidaying kennel charges (whose going anywhere nowadays! Aprox e20/30 per overnight)
    Reinsure dog annually (essential) e200 aprox
    Annual vet booster shots trip - e80 aprox
    Surgical extraction of item from dog/ broken toe/ panic trip for dog x-ray find fathers watch etc - with insurance e70 without insurance e300+

There you go!

& Poo bags! 200 for a euro if you shop in Lidl and are happy to use scented nappy bags!
    Fancy shoes and raincoat* ( for you!) for all that walking!
    * raincoat for dog to keep its hair mostly dry optional!)

Wash your own dog in the sink/ outdoors and save yourself a fortune😎
    Added vodka for telling dog stories or nerve calming. (optional!)

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/shih-tzu

lots of different descriptions of dog breeds and their generalised characteristics here !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

@justathought - wow thanks for taking the time to compose such an informative (and funny) post lol..

there is a lot to think about.. I think a shelter/rescue is 1st port of call.. see if I could volunteer or something,. become more familiar with them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Its funny because we're in the same boat. We're looking for a small dog that can become part of our family. I have 2 girls - youngest has a fear of dogs while the eldest literally loves every animal. We're hoping a smaller dog will help with the fear, but also be the pet that both girls can love.
    We're looked at all the cross breed as they're advertised as hypoallergenic and non shedding (sounds like a tree), but oh man the costs are insane. 1600 for a male Cavachon! We're doing a lot of research - just hoping to find the right one to join our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Its funny because we're in the same boat. We're looking for a small dog that can become part of our family. I have 2 girls - youngest has a fear of dogs while the eldest literally loves every animal. We're hoping a smaller dog will help with the fear, but also be the pet that both girls can love.
    We're looked at all the cross breed as they're advertised as hypoallergenic and non shedding (sounds like a tree), but oh man the costs are insane. 1600 for a male Cavachon! We're doing a lot of research - just hoping to find the right one to join our family.

And that 1600 goes straight into the greeders pocket while the dogs parents live in misery. There is a very reputable rescue in Wicklow (we are not allowed name rescues here unfortunately) who put up a post on Instagram yesterday about Cava - dogs. It is a very direct post and anyone thinking of getting one of these 'hybrid" dogs should read it.

anewme wrote: »
    And that 1600 goes straight into the greeders pocket while the dogs parents live in misery. There is a very reputable rescue in Wicklow (we are not allowed name rescues here unfortunately) who put up a post on Instagram yesterday about Cava - dogs. It is a very direct post and anyone thinking of getting one of these 'hybrid" dogs should read it.

Ill take a look at that. To be honest, we're completely new to the doggie world. My sister has a Bichon but my wife and little girl said no way to that breed :)
    Im hoping to find the right breed as I know the timing is right for us as a family to get a little dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Ill take a look at that. To be honest, we're completely new to the doggie world. My sister has a Bichon but my wife and little girl said no way to that breed :)
    Im hoping to find the right breed as I know the timing is right for us as a family to get a little dog.

As far as I am aware (it’s posted quite frequently on here) reputable breeders are not breeding at the min due to Covid so I reckon any breeder you may see online right now is in all likelihood a backyard breeder or puppy farm or someone cashing in on the current pandemic (Open to correction on this). Have a look through the shelters and rescues or contact the Irish kennel club for breeder contacts for specific breeds - at least you’ll know who you are dealing with and the IKC breeders may give you an idea of future plans for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Im looking for a little dog myself and its eye opening to be honest.

No way will I support misery for any animal though, so Im being extra thorough. Eoin McDermott the TV presenter had to speak out recently as well as bought from a puppy farm and got a lot of negative feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you considered looking for the right dog rather than the right breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thats probably the best advice so far. The OP should do that and see how he or she feels about picking up dog poo, mopping dog pee, experiencing the occasional aroma that might perfume the night air, and dealing with all the hair.

Alfie is very good at putting his toys away. He also collects things. I cleaned out his bed recently and found the following things:

- a 2 euro coin
    - a water bottle top
    - a hairbrush
    - an unidentifiable thing that I think used to be an end of a sandwich
    - a toy car
    - a lego man
    - a bone
    - 3 balls
    - my sisters debit card

It's a wonder he was able to sleep on all of that.

That brings back memories. One of my cats way back used to hide hand brushes AND my false teeth.

Have you considered looking for the right dog rather than the right breed?

Yep, we have talked about this as a family. The reason we looked at the breed was because of the size. My youngest is very fearful of dogs so a small dog would help her. As for my eldest - she does have allergies. So we're looking for a small dog that doesnt shed too much. We know all dogs shed - its the nature :) But trying to find something on the small size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Yep, we have talked about this as a family. The reason we looked at the breed was because of the size. My youngest is very fearful of dogs so a small dog would help her. As for my eldest - she does have allergies. So we're looking for a small dog that doesnt shed too much. We know all dogs shed - its the nature :) But trying to find something on the small size.

You might be surprised at how gentle and intuitive some larger breeds can be with nervous children. From staffies to labs, to standard poodles. On the allergy front, perhaps volunteer at a shelter for a bit with the children. Mum or dad with the children, other adult with the dog for a walk.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    You might be surprised at how gentle and intuitive some larger breeds can be with nervous children. From staffies to labs, to standard poodles. On the allergy front, perhaps volunteer at a shelter for a bit with the children. Mum or dad with the children, other adult with the dog for a walk.

Perfect idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

yes volunteer or foster to see different types of dogs
    i have 4 dogs a GSD a bernese a terrrier and a lurcher the best of them is the lurcher. Little or no shedding a quick zoom around a field and pretty much sleeps about 20 hours a day healthy just likes to be warm and dry and loves his dinner.
    The GSD allergy problems
    the Bernese sheds a ton of hair all the time despite grooming and i am a qualified groomer
    terrier is very old now but has been a great little dog likes to chase cats mice rats pigeons foxes rabbits, steals food tears open the shopping farts a lot sheds a bit and now she is old she stalks me the shower the loo everywhere i go they are all absolutely great pals and protect my house very well. Wouldn't swap them for gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

yes volunteer or foster to see different types of dogs
    i have 4 dogs a GSD a bernese a terrrier and a lurcher the best of them is the lurcher. Little or no shedding a quick zoom around a field and pretty much sleeps about 20 hours a day healthy just likes to be warm and dry and loves his dinner.
    The GSD allergy problems
    the Bernese sheds a ton of hair all the time despite grooming and i am a qualified groomer
    terrier is very old now but has been a great little dog likes to chase cats mice rats pigeons foxes rabbits, steals food tears open the shopping farts a lot sheds a bit and now she is old she stalks me the shower the loo everywhere i go they are all absolutely great pals and protect my house very well. Wouldn't swap them for gold.

:D

my long hair shepherd is like your bernese, in that he sheds

like theother dog wanting to chase everything
    and roots through the shopping
    and as for belching, burping and farting, he is something else (usually when he was on the steroids)

tries to get in the bath with me, follows me everywhere

even if I got up at night to go to the toilet or woke up early, he follows me, has to be involved in everything.

:D

my long hair shepherd is like your bernese, in that he sheds

like theother dog wanting to chase everything
    and roots through the shopping
    and as for belching, burping and farting, he is something else (usually when he was on the steroids)

tries to get in the bath with me, follows me everywhere

even if I got up at night to go to the toilet or woke up early, he follows me, has to be involved in everything.

dont you just love that a creature could care that much for you it warms my heart and no human has ever warmed my heart like the dogs do i know i must be a nutter but i am not its just animals are very special when you really see them !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

said it before and always stand by it, I would put my dog ahead of almost any human on this planet...exceptions being my own family.

If I were on a sinking boat and there was only room for one more in a lifeboat, my dog would get the spot before women, children, cripples, old etc could drown for all I care, dog comes first before any human outside my family,

uncles, cousins,.,,,yep they are drowning too.

Dogs dont start wars,
    dogs never had slavery
    dogs have a respect for elders which you would not see in most humans

Chances are if you come across a bad dog, its the owners fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I dont think anything can prepare you for a dog, but its imo the best addition to your life.

• Advertisement

i think we are cut from the same cloth its such a pity so many people miss this in their dogs or pets......they really lose out and as for saving the dogs i am with there especially the extended family fcuk 'em they annoy me grab the life jackets too for the dogs !!! He HE HE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’d say there’s a fare few ‘nutters' on here tbh myself included :) our Pom tosses her ball into the shower with me, jumps in to get it & then flys through the place like a fluffy little ginger nut. Drives my OH mad.

My eldest is going to be 9 in January and she is literally animal mad. We steered her away from the dog about 3 years ago because we werent ready as a family. So we got her a Guinea pig. 3 years later and she now has 4 and still goes on about a dog. So I think at this stage we're all ready. I know Ive always wanted a dog and I think our house is ready to welcome a little addition in.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

If you get a dog you must treat it as a family member full stop.A dog will absolutely love you and you love them,I talk to my dog and I tell my dog I love him about 20 times a day.People that don't have dogs do not understand that connection.Enjoy

I know a friend of mums who lost her husband after 40 years of marriage shes in the 60's he never liked dogs so they had a few cats when he died she wanted to die too and my mum told her to get a dog. 3 years on the little dog has saved her life and recently she said she was so sorry to have missed out on the joys of a dog her whole life. Shes in a great spot now and her dog is adorable never underestimate the therapy of a dog. She freely admits the dog saved her life and took her out of the dark place where she had seriously contemplated suicide on more then one occasion in her grief. Dogs rock I think i need another one !!.

em_cat wrote: »
    I’d say there’s a fare few ‘nutters' on here tbh myself included :) our Pom tosses her ball into the shower with me, jumps in to get it & then flys through the place like a fluffy little ginger nut. Drives my OH mad.

One of my Siamese used to jump in the bath with me... lol Now I am lucky if there is room in the bed for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Graces7 wrote: »
    One of my Siamese used to jump in the bath with me... lol Now I am lucky if there is room in the bed for me..

I wonder if it’s a Siamese thing...we had a lovely long haired Siamese that always got into the bath with me as a wee child, it was quite a sight because he was super fluffy and took a very long time to dry.

em_cat wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s a Siamese thing...we had a lovely long haired Siamese that always got into the bath with me as a wee child, it was quite a sight because he was super fluffy and took a very long time to dry.

lol.. They are the athletes and intelligentsia of the cat world and raising kittens is a minefield but wonderful. The sheer devious cunning and energy

The first bath entry was an accident; Tigerlily was being nosy, leapt onto the edge of the bath, miscalculated the width and SPLASH!

She was the one who also used the toilet! I never did get her to flush it though.. Ah I miss her still..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi whitelightrider,
    I don't know what age your kids are, but if the little one is younger than 8ish, I think you're stuck in a bit of a bind here. I'm very concerned about your hopes that the fear your youngest has of dogs will be overcome if you get a dog.... it might, but I've seen this exact situation many times in my line of work, and alas, I'm afraid more often than not, it does not work out.
    It also creates terrible tension in the home, trying to manage a child who's not comfortable in their own home any more, and a dog who doesn't understand why this little person screams every time she sees him, and then, why he has to be got out of the room any time she's about, and then, why he has to be out in the garden on his own when she's about. And then, why he's being rehomed. This situation is way, way too common amongst families who get dogs to see will it heal a child's fear, for me to not comment.
    If your little one is frightened dogs, and you're determined to go ahead and get a dog in the somewhat small hope that she'll learn to love it, then in my opinion, the very, very, very worst thing you could do is to get a puppy. There is simply no quicker way to convince a frightened child that an unstoppably and painfully nippy, bitey, clothes-ripping, foot-chasing, toy-stealing, pissy, poopy, pukey pup that she was right to feel scared of dogs.
    Puppies are VERY hard work at the best of times... they are, quite frankly, a pain in the bum that turn even the most experienced owner's life upside-down for several months until they calm down and learn how to get on in the world. Seriously... throw a screaming child into the mix, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    So, I would appeal to you, if you insist on getting a dog in the hopes that your little one will learn to love it, please, please get yourself a steady, adult dog that has already proved itself to be good with children. Talk to local rescues and be very much prepared to wait for the right dog. By-pass that stressful puppy stage, and do your daughter a favour by not having her forced to live with a walking set of sharp, needle teeth that thinks the sound of screaming must mean she wants pup to keep approaching her to bite some more. Honestly. Seen it far too many times, and rarely seen it work out well for the puppy. It's not fair on the child either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Redkite200

Would I be correct is thinking it'll be impossible to adopt an animal until lockdown ends at the earliest?

Rescue shelters/pounds closed I imagine and no home visits so they can't see if you're suitable and so on?

Advertisement