Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-06-2018, 17:56   #61
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
I think you can put N64 roms in a N64 folder and then associate that folder with that core.
Best I can ascertain is that the PS3 Retroarch comes bundled with all the cores it actually works with, and that you can't add more. So if there's no N64 core, I guess the PS3 isn't compatible with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
Looks like a fun little thing. My youngest would love making that and playing with It, hopefully it'll appear online to buy here. Definite Christmas present.
Very cool little thing indeed. Looks a tad slow while browsing menus etc, but for $30ish, whaddya want
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2018, 17:59   #62
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post

Very cool little thing indeed. Looks a tad slow while browsing menus etc, but for $30ish, whaddya want
Yeah did take a while browsing/loading, but I think the making and setting up would appeal to him anyway.
25-06-2018, 18:19   #63
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
hopefully it'll appear online to buy here. Definite Christmas present.
Because $30~ €50 - https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?r...product_id=838
Thanks from:
25-06-2018, 18:36   #64
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
D'oh. That's annoying.
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 11:01   #65
guile4582

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
I think you can put N64 roms in a N64 folder and then associate that folder with that core.

I am only new to it myself. I have all the roms (all arcarde) just on the root of a USB key, when I go into "Load Content" and select one it brings up a choice of cores I could use, and I pick one of the MAME ones. So if you go to load conent and click on the N64 rom it might do the same.

Neither of my MAME emus seem that good though, I am wondering what the best is. One is MAME 2000 can't remember the other. Maybe I should be downloading a 3rd?

Some games (e.g. splatterhouse) do not load at all. The rom works fine on mame on a PC.
Retroarch doesnt recognise the N64 content in my folder - so its an empty folder
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 15:05   #66
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile4582 View Post
Retroarch doesnt recognise the N64 content in my folder - so its an empty folder
It seems N64 on the PS3 isn't a runner, hence no Retorarch core for it - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comment.../n64_emulator/
28-06-2018, 10:44   #67
guile4582

Quote:
It seems N64 on the PS3 isn't a runner, hence no Retorarch core for it - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comment.../n64_emulator/

all i want it for is Mario Kart 64
playing Mario Kart on the SNES just doesnt cut it
28-06-2018, 15:20   #68
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile4582 View Post

all i want it for is Mario Kart 64
playing Mario Kart on the SNES just doesnt cut it
Pi3 as a solution? Skip to 11:30

01-07-2018, 23:27   #69
Doge

Man the Vita hack was an absolute pig to do but I got there in the end despite no sleep from partying the night before!

Lots of faffing about with the command line, no more is it a simple case of visiting a website.

One obstacle I had was that I have windows 10 N installed on my laptop which doesn't have the old windows media player and the Sony Vita content management assistant wouldn't install without it.

One limitation of Retroarch on the Vita is that it doesn't support shaders for CRT emulation, only overlays and the one CRT overlay I saw for the system darkens the image and doesn't look good.

Very happy thought to have a fairly inexpensive retro gaming portable with decent controls. Just waiting on sd2vita and a 128gb Microsd card next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180701_224903.jpg (645.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180701_224859.jpg (770.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Doge; 01-07-2018 at 23:31.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2018, 12:26   #70
eddhorse

Send a message via ICQ to eddhorse
Nice work well done
Thanks from:
04-07-2018, 20:20   #71
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Man the Vita hack was an absolute pig to do
There's some automated tools coming out now it seems, to take the work out of it. Reminds me of when the Nes/Snes Mini's were originally hacked, they were quite labour intensive to hack, but not long after there became automated/easier ways to do it. Anyway - http://wololo.net/2018/07/03/auto-h-...-your-ps-vita/
Thanks from:
05-07-2018, 14:24   #72
2ndcoming

What's the most painless route to a little portable emulation machine?

I had been considering a 1st gen 3DS XL with R4 card for Nes/Snes/MD emulation, anyone got an opinion on these?

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it without hacking or hardmodding the machine ie still have access to Nintendo shop for 3DS / Virtual console titles and access to online play etc.
05-07-2018, 23:33   #73
Gamer Bhoy 89

Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer Bhoy 89
I have always wanted to ask this question....

When it comes to emulating games, does anyone here actually sit down and play the roms for a significant length of time - maybe even finishing them?

I have attempted it a few times but something consciously hits me on the back of my mind telling me "you're doing it wrong" and I often won't bother playing the game properly because it doesn't feel right...........

I often use emulation as a way to mess around and try a bunch of games I never heard of for no longer than 5 minutes, mostly for the novelty.

Is it just me??

Last edited by Gamer Bhoy 89; 05-07-2018 at 23:53.
Thanks from:
06-07-2018, 01:16   #74
2ndcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer Bhoy 89 View Post

When it comes to emulating games, does anyone here actually sit down and play the roms for a significant length of time - maybe even finishing them?

I have attempted it a few times but something consciously hits me on the back of my mind telling me "you're doing it wrong" and I often won't bother playing the game properly because it doesn't feel right...........

I often use emulation as a way to mess around and try a bunch of games I never heard of for no longer than 5 minutes, mostly for the novelty.

Is it just me??
I've played through Super Mario World, Super Metroid and A Link To The Past on emulators once every year or two since about 2006. Aside from that it's mostly messing around trying different stuff for me as well.
06-07-2018, 09:41   #75
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer Bhoy 89 View Post

Is it just me??

I find you need to have a proper library interface, in order to avoid the feeling you describe. If it’s a case of opening an emulator, clicking load, selecting a rom, and maximizing the screen, I’ll definitely agree it feels like an incomplete, disjointed experience.

How I’ve handled it, is to have all my emulators set up and running under Launchbox. This way, it’s presented to me as a much more polished experience. It scrapes artwork like box art, cart images, gameplay pictures, emumovies previewsif you choose, and so forth. It also scrapes metadata for all the systems and games. Personally I browse my games by system, and then it shows the box art for the games for that system.

It’s akin to browsing games on a Snes Mini, or browsing digital titles on any modern console, etc, the polished GUI makes it feel more complete. As a result, when I play a given game, I don’t get that “this isn’t quite right” feeling. Setting up Launchbox and Retroarch can be a bit of a time investment, but for me, it’s been wholly worth it to avoid that feeling you’re talking about.

Edit - I meant to add, it also helps hugely to be using a tv (with some of the gorgeous RetroArch display options) instead of a computer monitor on a computer desk. Couple that with a decent controller like an 8bitdo or Xbox One controller, and it goes from “not quite right”, to, “this is actually pretty cool.”

Last edited by Inviere; 06-07-2018 at 10:16.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion