Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-05-2018, 17:07   #16
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaten View Post
There's an exploit for the firmware directly below the most recent but it hasn't been released. So I don't think there's absolutely no hope.
I think though that for that to work, you will have to have upgraded to that firmware from an exploited 3.60. I think. In other words, it’s not a cold exploit, it requires you to have had modded firmware in the first place.

Last edited by Inviere; 06-05-2018 at 17:16.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-05-2018, 20:34   #17
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Well, I checked my Vita and it's at least than 3.6, the PS TV is the second afaik.
10-05-2018, 09:21   #18
Inviere

Nice video Retroarch's new Runahead Latency Reduction feature.

TL - DR is input lag seems to have been completely eliminated, and is adjustable per game. Will try it out & report back!

10-05-2018, 10:01   #19
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
Will try it out & report back!
Short answer - wow, incredible. I can play Super Mario World again, and not be rubbish at it!!! It really makes a huge difference to games where input lag bogs controls down.

Long answer - as above, but there are some errors in the tutorial video apparently.

Firstly, when you have the game paused & are figuring out how many frames you need to account for, you need to choose one less than your result. Ie, if you have the game paused, press jump, and press 'k' three times before you see the jump animation, then you need to set the runahead number to '2'. Secondly, I got some sound distortion when using the feature, so you need to turn on 'second instance' in the runahead settings to resolve that.

Chuffed with this, it's a huge, huge improvement.
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2018, 10:04   #20
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

I'm guessing it works like the lag compensation in Guitar Hero?
Advertisement
18-05-2018, 19:14   #21
Hellrazer

Heres a question.

I have one of these I was thinking of making into just a pure emulation machine.
https://www.zotac.com/vg/product/mini_pcs/id11

Atom d510,Nvidia Ion gpu 2 gb ddr.500Gb hard drive.
Its running windows 10 at the minute.
Whats the best front end to use in windows?
Not looking to emulate everything but snes genesis etc.Its runs them really well but Id like to be able to set it to boot up straight into the front end and just use a controller to control everything

Thanks
18-05-2018, 21:07   #22
super_furry

I've always been a fan of Launchbox myself. https://www.launchbox-app.com
(2) thanks from:
20-05-2018, 23:56   #23
Hellrazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
I've always been a fan of Launchbox myself. https://www.launchbox-app.com
Thanks for that.Just spent the day setting it all up.
So far Ive Snes , Neo geo ,N64 and Mame linked through Launchbox and all working fine so far..
Great little program. Going to have to buy the premium for the bigscreen version now!!
21-05-2018, 16:15   #24
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrazer View Post
Going to have to buy the premium for the bigscreen version now!!
Controller support is also premium version if I recall correctly. Very worth it though, & they always have good discounts on Black Friday for when the time comes around.

Never knew the GPD Win2 was this beefy

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2018, 18:12   #25
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

That's insane!
21-05-2018, 18:59   #26
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
That's insane!
Then I seen the price, ouch
22-05-2018, 17:49   #27
Inviere

Original Xbox emulation has always been a rather neglected, and perhaps un-needed system in terms of emulation. Most of its library was third party, with a handful of 1st party titles seemingly not being enough to attract anyone capable enough to work on its emulation. It's kinda changing of late though, there's been a bit of 'scene' interest in getting original Xbox emulation to the fray. Perhaps it's nostalgia, as some who grew up playing it now possess the skills to emulate it, or perhaps it's just seen as a kind of 'cool' thing to work on. Anyway, it's getting better!

Thanks from:
22-05-2018, 18:00   #28
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

The Xbox was the least essential system of that generation but there is some absolutely cracking exclusives on the system. Sega had some brilliant games, with Panzer Dragoon Orta being a highlight and the pinnacle of Rail shooters for me. And then Ninja Gaiden Black which is arguably a better character action games than even anything Capcom and Platinum have put out. Playing it now and it's so good it's kind of spoiled the new God of War on me as it's no where near as good.

I think the PS4 is kind of on the same level now as the Xbox was when it's run ended. Lots of third party stuff that was available on PC with a handful of exclusives. The PS4 only recently I feel I could say is worth purchasing but will probably surpass the Xbox by the end of this year and definitely in it's lifetime.
22-05-2018, 18:22   #29
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
The PS4 only recently I feel I could say is worth purchasing but will probably surpass the Xbox by the end of this year and definitely in it's lifetime.
It's been such a drab generation of consoles this eight generation. Sony have recently stated the PS4 has entered it's end-of-life cycle, and aside from a literal handful of exclusives, there's still no killer reason to own one. The Xbox One is the same (worse even!) in terms of worthwhile exclusives. Similarly, with decent gpu's bottlenecked by utterly gimped cpu's (I'm looking at you Xbox One X & PS4 Pro), we're still, in 2018, gaming for the most part at 30fps. Focus has been on resolution, rather than framerate, which aligns with the sub-par cpu architecture (I know they're APU's but you get my point).

The only thing I'm half excited about PS4 wise is my ESP8266 is en route, and when it arrives, I'll be able to exploit it & mess about with it. By all accounts, the upcoming 5.05 exploit is going to be a timed release, coinciding with Mira, a HEN that'll come with homebrew development tools...so people should be able to finally start coding for the PS4.
22-05-2018, 18:47   #30
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Yeah the One in particular has been so lacking it's the only big console since 2000 that I have no desire to buy. Maybe later I'll get a cheap one but only for the backwards compatibility.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion