Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2018, 18:08   #1
Inviere

General Emulation Discussion

Hopefully it's ok with the mods to create this thread, but I figured, without a dedicated chat thread for emulation, the topic never stands much chance of standing out on its own here. Most everything emulation related gets lost in the ether of the normal chat thread, and it's very hard to find good info in it that comes up from time to time. So maybe this might work?

Anyway, to kick things off, some recent emulation related news:

Retroarch 1.7.2 has been released - this would seem an important release as it features some fancy new tech called Runahead Latency Reduction. This promises better latency than the real hardware! More info here - https://www.libretro.com/index.php/r...-7-2-released/

Yuzu, a Switch emulator, boots it's first Switch exclusive, 1-2-Switch:

The N64 iQue roms have finally been dumped, almost 15 years later! There are some exclusive bug fixes and features in these roms apparently - https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/...11050430279680
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-04-2018, 18:12   #2
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

This thread is fine, once it's primary goal is the art of emulation, but I'd prefer it not to become a hub for current console piracy tbh.
To be clear, having a Switch emu running is interesting, linking or sharing Switch dumps is not allowed.

Otherwise it's all good ...

I wonder if it's time to consider a forum name change.....
Thanks from:
29-04-2018, 18:14   #3
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

And, on another note, that iQue business is great news, seeing as it's impossible to obtain content for the format any more.
Might be worth picking one up, if it's possible to load them only original hardware.
Can only be a matter of time before N64 titles proper can be used...
29-04-2018, 18:15   #4
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
This thread is fine, once it's primary goal is the art of emulation, but I'd prefer it not to become a hub for current console piracy tbh.
To be clear, having a Switch emu running is interesting, linking or sharing Switch dumps is not allowed.

Otherwise it's all good ...
Cheers Cidey, indeed, piracy & linking to copyright protected stuff is a no go, goes without saying I think it could be good for keeping up to date with things, helping with configs, & all other manner of helpful things. Emulation can be as simple or as complex as you like it to be, so it can definitely help to have a single place to seek such help.

Quote:
I wonder if it's time to consider a forum name change.....
Thanks from:
29-04-2018, 23:05   #5
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I'd like to more of the PSP running on a Vita malarkey.
I'd be even more interested in the PSP in the Vita running PS games!
Plenty of storage to hold my favourite PS games, like Raiden Project and Gradius Gaiden.
Advertisement
29-04-2018, 23:15   #6
Tom Mann Centuria

Why not have console modding given a bit of life by renaming that forum Emulation and Console Modding. It's pretty well screwed otherwise.
Thanks from:
29-04-2018, 23:19   #7
sugarman

Quote:
Plenty of storage to hold my favourite PS games, like Raiden Project and Gradius Gaiden.
PSP still has to be the best handheld emulation device around in terms of both ability and price.

I've a Vita since almost launch and do use it for emulation at home, but the PSP is still my main source for on the go as its cheap as chips and I wouldnt care all that much if it went missing or got damaged. Id actually care more about losing the Micro SDs in it than the console

Must mess around with Retroarch. Never tried it past the early betas.

I tried PCSX2 recently enough and was blown away at how advanced PS2 emulation has come. Tried a few games upscaled to 4K and only had 1 issue with compatibility / frame rates but that was down to the game. Runs crap on the actual PS2 too. The way its going, dare I say it, I can see myself playing this than the real thing.

Last edited by sugarman; 29-04-2018 at 23:24.
Thanks from:
30-04-2018, 15:09   #8
Inviere

Quote:
I'm due to give my Vita TV the modding treatment over the summer (my Vita is already exploited, though I must update to the latest version too), it's pretty much exactly the same as a Vita. I could do a write up on it, & post here if there's any interest? Obviously it's be boards-friendly et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
Why not have console modding given a bit of life by renaming that forum Emulation and Console Modding. It's pretty well screwed otherwise.
The only console modding going on these days is the likes of the Switch exploit, the recent PS4 fw4.55 exploit, basically all modern/current gen stuff. A&R would seem to cover modding of any retro machine, so I say go the whole hog & rebrand the Console Modding forum as the Emulation forum! For anything at all to happen though, I suppose it'd be good to show evidence that emulation discussion can be active and boards-friendly. As it stands, it doesn't stand out as it all gets lost within other dedicated threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
PSP still has to be the best handheld emulation device around in terms of both ability and price.
In terms of price, you're spot on, PSP all the way. For ability though, the Vita blows the PSP away for emulation & even for PSP stuff.

Last edited by Inviere; 30-04-2018 at 15:20.
30-04-2018, 15:48   #9
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post

Retroarch 1.7.2 has been released - this would seem an important release as it features some fancy new tech called Runahead Latency Reduction. This promises better latency than the real hardware! More info here - https://www.libretro.com/index.php/r...-7-2-released/
This sounds like it will be great for android. I'm not sure if modern version of the OS still have the same problem but I remember latency being a big problem with emulators on earlier version of android.
Advertisement
30-04-2018, 23:10   #10
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

My Vita TV is little more than a TxK device, so anything to make it more useful would be great!
Thanks from:
01-05-2018, 16:05   #11
Inviere

Quote:
My Vita TV is little more than a TxK device, so anything to make it more useful would be great!
What firmware is it on?
02-05-2018, 06:46   #12
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
What firmware is it on?
I haven't a clue, why?
02-05-2018, 17:52   #13
Inviere

Quote:
I haven't a clue, why?
Higher than 3.60 and...

^^ at least for the moment anyway.
06-05-2018, 00:08   #14
Tom Mann Centuria

My son gave me his vita, unfortunately it's on the latest firmware. All I've read says there is no prospect of it getting hacked, is this still what those itk think? Haven't really delved into emulation on my psp now that's modded, must correct that.

Incidentally I love planes, trains and automobiles, John Candy and Steve Martin did so many great films, especially in the 80s.
(2) thanks from:
06-05-2018, 10:50   #15
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
My son gave me his vita, unfortunately it's on the latest firmware. All I've read says there is no prospect of it getting hacked, is this still what those itk think? Haven't really delved into emulation on my psp now that's modded, must correct that.

Incidentally I love planes, trains and automobiles, John Candy and Steve Martin did so many great films, especially in the 80s.
There's an exploit for the firmware directly below the most recent but it hasn't been released. So I don't think there's absolutely no hope.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion