Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2010, 11:47   #31
brianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgeo View Post
Hey guys help needed,

Bought a NES off Ebay with cables, controller and Bubble Bobble.

58 euro including delivery, not sure if thats a good deal or not considering the below.

When i plug in, Turn on, light flashes red. Now on screen i have managed to tune in the tv to where I Think its the nes. the screen flashes on and off black and white.

How bad is this, should i open up a dispute and get my money back??

Its in decent condition, it could do with a quick clean but its not bad at all. the carts stay down when you put them in too.

Any advice is appreciated. I have yet to leave feedback on it i only got it yesterday and am a bit unsure about what way to proceed.
Try cleaning the cartridge.
Advertisement
15-10-2010, 11:54   #32
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

k, i blew into it a few times, im guessing thats not what you mean though, ive seen guides for cleaning games with emmery boards and that.

I have 3 other games arriving soon mario 1 2 3 and duckhunt i think i will just try them when i get them and if they dont work its fairly certain its the nes?
15-10-2010, 13:13   #33
brianon

Quote:
k, i blew into it a few times, im guessing thats not what you mean though, ive seen guides for cleaning games with emmery boards and that.

I have 3 other games arriving soon mario 1 2 3 and duckhunt i think i will just try them when i get them and if they dont work its fairly certain its the nes?
Does the power light (red light) stay lit ? or flash ?

As for cleaning. I clean all my cartridges and you'd be surprised the dirt that comes off them Many of the games that didn't play AT ALL now work great. You can google loads of different ways. I use bronze polish among other things.
15-10-2010, 13:29   #34
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

yeh its flashing on and off
15-10-2010, 13:33   #35
brianon

afaik... flashing red power light means the cartridge is from an incompatable region. They are quite easily modded if that is the problem.

What region is the game from ?
Advertisement
15-10-2010, 14:04   #36
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

dont have it to hand at the minute to be honest, ill check later. a quick search on the net says it could be everything from having to fix and clean the 72 pin or else replace..
15-10-2010, 14:55   #37
brianon

retro does not equal easy thats for sure
15-10-2010, 15:34   #38
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

its a pain in the **** to be honest because now i dont know if i should open a dispute over it on ebay. considering he said it was tested and working. then again it only cost me 50 something delivered so should i keep and try fix??? arrrggghhhhh...
15-10-2010, 15:47   #39
o1s1n

Sounds like your 72 pin connector. The pins aren't making a connection with the cart properly.

They're apparantly very easy to replace, cheap too.

Or if you want, before buying a new one you can also just try and bend all the pins on the connector back.
Advertisement
17-10-2010, 19:39   #40
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

I opened her up, took it apart, took off the 72 pin and cleaned the board. got a pin and bent up all the pins on the connector. I can now get Bubble Bobble going after a couple of trys, i think i still need a new 72 pin and maybe bubble bobble needs a clean but i got it going. Plus the girlfriend scrubbed up the case and it now looks brand new! I have Mario 1, 2, and 3 arriving this week so if they are giving me the same problem i will just replace the 72pin. if they are working fine then i prob just need to open up bubble bobble and give the cart a clean.
16-11-2010, 17:36   #41
Alter Egotist

Quote:
Hey guys help needed,

Bought a NES off Ebay with cables, controller and Bubble Bobble.

58 euro including delivery, not sure if thats a good deal or not considering the below.

When i plug in, Turn on, light flashes red. Now on screen i have managed to tune in the tv to where I Think its the nes. the screen flashes on and off black and white.

How bad is this, should i open up a dispute and get my money back??

Its in decent condition, it could do with a quick clean but its not bad at all. the carts stay down when you put them in too.

Any advice is appreciated. I have yet to leave feedback on it i only got it yesterday and am a bit unsure about what way to proceed.

You probably just need to blow the s##t out of the connectors on the game cart itself. If it continues flashing on and off you'll need to replace the 72 pin adapter or alternatively get a cleaning cart. Dont panic and leave feedback. All nes do this. Its part of their charm
16-11-2010, 17:39   #42
Alter Egotist

if you have a gamebit. take all the games apart and give connectors a good clean with a rubber (normal one like you had at school) and then shine up with a bit of window cleaner. Your away then.

If you havent got a gamebit. try cleaning them with window cleaner and earbuds, wiping back and forth over the connectors and then shine clean with a jewellery cloth. If cloth is getting dirty you need to clean it more.
16-11-2010, 18:38   #43
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

ive since bought a new 72pin, made the nes region free and bought a game bit and cleaned all the games, all now working perfect!
22-11-2010, 17:28   #44
dmcdante

Hi All

My NES will play games for maybe 10 min but then the screen just gets messed up.
Do you think its the 72 pin connecter or something else.
Thanks for the help
22-11-2010, 17:56   #45
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

Could be, they are only 10 quid or something and worth getting if you want to extend its life. i would suggest cleaning your games too, you will need a gamebit to open them up, i use steel wool i think its called (like a brillo pad but without the pink stuff that foams up) to clean the dirt of them. they all work great.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion