Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

snow talk

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

well it certainly seems there will be precip around later tonight and with the temps the way they have been (unless they increase tonight?) can't see why it wouldnt be snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

A few flakes in Saggart (south Co. Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

snow in tallaught - 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Funny sort of a day here tucked in the south Laois hills.

Large clouds pasing over from time to time and the temp drops to 4.5c, then sunshine about for a while and the temps shoot back up to 5.0c and slightly above.

So the sun's strength is quite noticable.

Had a brief, but heavy sleet shower last night around midnight. Brrr. Low of 2.1c overnight and quite cloudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There's a bumble bee at the Rosemary outside the house here :eek:
    stocking up ahead of the coming week ;)

Glorious sunshine now and 5C, was 6C Dewpoint is a low -3C and will only drop further, though it was down at -5C with RH at 46%. That is dry for this part of world.

Just back from the hills above Glendalough. Up at 2000ft+. Glorious sunshine and actually felt warmer than at home, though a lot of the water and marshes were frozen so my feet stayed dry. It looked like that a shower did penetrate in that far as there was the slightest of dusting. Could see snow capped Lug.

Looking at latest radar, nothing is showing over Irish Sea

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after looking at the weekly forecasts on both sky news and bbc and neither give much in the way of snow for ireland this week, sky news are making it out to be much milder in ireland with temperatures of around 8C most of the week while britain will freeze, the bbc on the other hand has us cold but mostly dry and sunny spells with a few flurries in the east and most of the heavy snow confined to southern and south eastern britain with scotland missing out on everything. The bbc also point out that a milder push is gonna start from wednesday night into thursday as continental air dragged up from the mediterranean over cold land will make it feel slightly milder rather than the 3 day siberian blast for monday to wednesday. Its now met eireann which has a better snow risk forcasted for here than any of the other channels. lets see what happens, one of those channels is bound to be right.

I wouldnt pay any attention at all to the sky active forecasts for Ireland, they take no notice of what the Irish sea is capable of.

#As for the BBC, well they always underplay the Irish sea as well unless it is sending stuff into wales in a northerly.

The Beeb unlike carlsberg dont do Ireland...Except NI They throw on a spare symbol allright but thats all - its not a forecast that they pay attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Still a glorious day here near the Phoenix Park.

snow in malin head. tempriture there is 4 degrees

could this mean that this snow band is tracking further west than expected.

I do realise that tempritures elsewhere are quite high. the tempriture at shannon airport hasnt exceeded 5 degrees all day, and from hereon in they are likely to start falling.

could this mean that this snow band is tracking further west than expected.
    No.
    Mallin hd is Irelands most northerly point.
    The wind is still in the north so the north coast is getting some showers.

The showers I got this morning were going north to south down the Irish sea aswell-its just they were close enough to the coast for the western part of each shower to clip the coastline.

Whilst temps are up dew points are remaining much lower and below freezing in fact-so good for this.

Also bear in mind that we just have a northerly at the moment and that from tomorrow night thats going to the East and much colder... and as it's already able to snow....even before that arrives.

The weather front draping down overnight and during tomorrow is one to watch also, it may well give snow even to lower levels in the East rather than the west, but theres more of a chance of that settling on the higher ground than at sea level.

Here currently Dry sunny and a cool 5c

• Advertisement

Well, Irish Meto went for 5 to 7c for today, it has stayed largly 4 to 6c.

Looking at the sat image...

where is the forcasted front for later on tonight and tomorrow coming from?

It's coming down from the north Danno, but its from an atlantic maratime origin.

Is the front yet to form over western Ireland and the Scottish western Isles???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

How'dy all :D

Well tomorrows front isnt going to give as much precipitation
    to the east as expected yesterday, what it will mean though
    is anything that falls in the east or midlands will be of snow :D

Showers will pep up from around midnight as a thick band of cloud moves
    down from the north and light snow showers will break out in the east.
    By morning there will be light snow in the east and midlands and heavier
    rain in the west.

tomorrow morning has the chance of giving around 2-4cm's in some areas
    with coninuos light snow for a few hours before much colder air
    swings in from the east as the winds turn easterly. Heavy snow
    showers will then blow in from the Irish sea and the snow party
    truely begins :D

And looking at things again, Laois could well be the place
    to be tomorrow :eek: ;)

the 12z is starting to come out and its showing a change of wind direction by mid day tomorrow.

Danno wrote:
    Is the front yet to form over western Ireland and the Scottish western Isles???

FFS Danno-1500+ posts on TWO and you are asking me questions like that?? :D

There it is OK :)

Earthman wrote:
    FFS Danno-1500+ posts on TWO and you are asking me questions like that?? :D

There it is OK :)

The posts were made in weeks Earthman :eek: :D:D
    Much like mine :D:D:D

And looking at things again, Laois could well be the place
    to be tomorrow :eek: ;)

I told you all

I told you all!

LOL! :D

Laois, the only county in Ireland that does not have neighbouring counties with a coastline.

We are probably best poised for the warmest in Summer and coldest in Winter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Just up in Knockree/Glaskenny/Glencree area in Wicklow and it started snowing, albeit very lightly.

• Advertisement

Here's how tomorrow's weather is looking across europe
    tomorowsweather.gif

:eek: :D:D:D

Oh my eyes :eek:

Wenesday and thursday look interesting-throw up some charts and ensembles there w.check while i have a mug of coffee.

Here's how tomorrow's weather is looking across europe
    tomorowsweather.gif

:eek: :D:D:D

WHat?? It's going to be snowing eggplant?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Im beginning to get cold feet about this... I see that tonight's snow has been downgraded and I dont like even the mention of the weather turning milder by Thursday. What does GFS say about all this?

On a slightly different note, when will this light snow(if any) start off tonight?

Very overcast now in south Laois. 4.8c.

Earthman wrote:

while i have a mug of coffee.

I'll have one as well.....

And to keep on topic, still sunny, not a flake in sight

Temp 5C, Dewpoint -3C

Interesting: http://www.metcheck.com/premium/precipitype.asp?lat=53&lon=-7&locationID=302

The preciptype chart shows snow over Ireland, Scotland and Wales whilst sleet in England...

Mothman wrote:
    I'll have one as well.....

And to keep on topic, still sunny, not a flake in sight

Temp 5C, Dewpoint -3C
    I like that dewpoint-add that to an East wind and bingo.

the really cold air should have dug in by wenesday,I think.

• Advertisement

Im beginning to get cold feet about this... I see that tonight's snow has been downgraded and I dont like even the mention of the weather turning milder by Thursday. What does GFS say about all this?

On a slightly different note, when will this light snow(if any) start off tonight?
    Mild Thursday...i think not!
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn9617.gif

Nor on Friday
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn12017.gif

Mind you Saturday aint very mild either
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn14417.gif

:p:p:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement