Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk today revealed its new weekday schedule, which will start on 31st August.

124»

Comments

I said I'd giver Ciara Kelly a chance on the Monday morning commute and lasted about 20 seconds before moving to Morning Ireland. I'm not sure there's ever a good time to listen to her, but 8am certainly isn't one of them. Morning Ireland takes itself very seriously but at least I won't be throwing my shoes at the radio.
    I think she's a great broadcaster, but she belongs somewhere between lunchtime and Drivetime, when you want the type of unintellectual background noise that you can absorb with only one of your ears. People actively-listen to breakfast radio, they want to laugh or be intelligently informed.

This breakfast show will be a flop. Moncrieff would have been a better choice for Breakfast — that would have been a demotion for Moncrieff, it is true — but he would offer an alternative to Morning Ireland. Let Kelly take-on Joe Duffy or Ray D'arcy, where she belongs.

Nobody would listen to Joe Duffy at 7am, and Ciara Kelly has the energy with a different accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Has Off The Ball been affected at all, or does it still have all those hours to fill with repeats of clips of itself?

Also, i listened to Splanc for the first time in ages on Friday. Is it all prerecorded, I didn't catch anyone saying to text in and that?

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    You will when foghorn Wilson gets there.

Is she moving to the morning slot?

(I posted this on the Lunchtime Live thread yesterday, too tired to write a new post, so re-posting it here)

I dont like this re-shuffle. I have stopped listening to Newstalk Breakfast as I don't like Ciara Kelly. I honestly cannot understand why Ciara left a vocation like medicine and being a GP, after all her years study and training, to work on the graveyard shift in a radio station?

I thought Andrea would be good at Lunchtime slot but I'm not too sure, I'll give her more than 2 days though. She has had difficult topics on that have been controversial already, like "assisted death/end of life" with Vicky Phelan today. Not the easiest to topics to talk about, and a very thin line to walk as a presenter. Its definitely one you have to listen to both sides of the story with...............so I will forgive her all the "emmmmss"

Really missing Ivan Yates on the Hard Shoulder......he was sharp, sarcastic, a great **** stirrer and funny! Kieran Cuddihy is so bland.
    Switched over yesterday to RTE at 4pm and switched this morning to FM104 - it was actually more uplifting and funny than anything on Newstalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

UsBus wrote: »
    I find her very difficult to listen to. Her over pronunciation of every syllable is very harsh. It's like she doesn't speak naturally, and the conversation doesn't flow as a result.

God, I read that in her voice....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Also, i listened to Splanc for the first time in ages on Friday. Is it all prerecorded, I didn't catch anyone saying to text in and that?

Probably not worth having a textline for the 3 other people who tune in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭893bet

Ciara hasn’t been terrible. Not as bad as I expected but give it a month (90 min commute).

Breakfast has been poor on newstslk for a while though so the bar is low enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

893bet wrote: »
    Ciara hasn’t been terrible. Not as bad as I expected but give it a month (90 min commute).

Breakfast has been poor on newstslk for a while though so the bar is low enough.

I know I’ll probably be shot for saying this but I think she’s improved the morning “slot” so far. I’d usually listen to Marty at that time of day but find Dr. Ciara better suited to the show than when it was the 2 lads.

Still not enjoying the lunchtime show, Andrea Gillian is better at it alright but having to endure the moronic “opinions” of the type of person who calls in to radio shows is just irredeemable.

Would like to see Susan Keogh get a show that’s not buried in the early morning of a weekend. They should give her a decent chunk of the weekend morning so we don’t have to endure that “Home Show” nonsense or Vincent Wall’s drawn out segment.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't mind mornings and I didn't mind them before. I miss Yates but Cuddihy is big improvement on August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I'm pretty much done with Newstalk now with these changes. I'll listen to a bit of Pat Kenny but lunchtime live is now just liveline on a different channel..
    I can't listen to Ciara Kelly any more,.
    It looks like Newstalk is becoming more talk less news...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

Would like to see Susan Keogh get a show that’s not buried in the early morning of a weekend. They should give her a decent chunk of the weekend morning so we don’t have to endure that “Home Show” nonsense or Vincent Wall’s drawn out segment.

Yeah, that Home Show is awful drivel altogether. Have it as a podcast, fair enough, but I can't believe its actually on national radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mikep wrote: »
    I'm pretty much done with Newstalk now with these changes. I'll listen to a bit of Pat Kenny but lunchtime live is now just liveline on a different channel..
    I can't listen to Ciara Kelly any more,.
    It looks like Newstalk is becoming more talk less news...

Many shows have morphed into a "let's throw open the lines to listeners to talk about stuff" type show.
    If I wanted to listen to opinions of the great unwashed I'd tune into Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Many shows have morphed into a "let's throw open the lines to listeners to talk about stuff" type show.
    If I wanted to listen to opinions of the great unwashed I'd tune into Joe.

It’s incredible that they incorporated that into the “breakfast” show. It’s bad enough in the afternoon but in the morning it’s criminal.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Listened to Cuddihy the last two days. Never again. It's like a FG Party Political Broadcast, woeful stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ciara isn't annoying me as much as I thought she would, I liked Ciaran on the breakfast show, just can't fill Ivans shoes, I've been switching to drive time.

As a side Simon Harris was on breakfast this morning, whatever your party politics, he is an excellent communicator, you could tell he knew the brief, was able to answer about other government issues. MM needs to get a few comms lessons off him, even to blag it!

Advertisement