Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Explosion in Beirut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Lastest report from the LBN is that final explosion was caused by the fireworks igniting a build up of dust in a fertilizer added value warehouse situated 500+ meters away.
    The normal cleaner Malika hala El Din was off for c-19 isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Danish fireworks 2000 lbs (it's an american report), very big bangs here. Obviously explosions vary depending on how they are stored, amount, type and the chain reaction length and sequence.

Sodium nitrate, skip to last 15 seconds

Second explosion resembles what happened in Lebanon the best. It could be a combination of things, but a poster tweet about sodium nitrate makes sense.
    Used in solid propellants, explosives, fertilizers, and for many other uses.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrate

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It could be a combination of things, but a poster tweet about sodium nitrate makes sense.

Favourite explosive of the terrorist when Semtex wasn't available and Timothy McVeigh (or similar)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

120,000 tonnes of grain lost to a country who has lost their currency and is rapidly turning into a Weimar Republic is not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Based on the first video, that thing has vaoporised about ten square blocks.
    The video in the office, based on the speed of sound, where the windows blew out was about 1km away and extremely heavy damage even there.

This is extremely bad.
    Sad reflection on society is that it's probably not going to be as big international news as if it had happened in the US or Europe. It will find its way down the headlines by Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don’t know what caused it but this video is scary af

https://twitter.com/priapusiq/status/1290677516278038534?s=21

A pity your man is so useless with the camera. That is a terrible explosion alright. Poor Lebonon just never seems to get any better over there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just seen a few videos...the visible shock wave is like something from a movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Gatling wrote: »
    Favourite explosive of the terrorist when Semtex wasn't available and Timothy McVeigh (or similar)

I reading now it was ammonium nitrate got stored there? We have to see what story true in the coming hours?
    Ammonium nitrate is the ammonium salt of nitric acid. It has a role as a fertilizer, an explosive and an oxidising agent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate

https://twitter.com/AsharqNewsBrk/status/1290708461702057985
    #الشرق_عاجل : Lebanese Interior Minister Mohamed Fahmy told Al-Jadeed TV: The highly explosive materials that were in ward No. 12 are ammonium nitrate, and you should ask customs about the reason for their presence there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Christ, that was some explosion.

Saw a tweet saying they felt the shockwave in Cyprus !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I think it's fairly obvious it's not fireworks at the end.

Reports saying possibly hundreds dead and injured.

Whole apartment buildings just completely destroyed

Not fireworks mate, but some very explosive material, you can clearly see little sparks go off before the second wallop. Must have jumped to a munitions storage area.

Israel, just said they had nothing to do with it.

Prayers to all those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sdanseo wrote: »
    Based on the first video, that thing has vaoporised about ten square blocks.
    The video in the office, based on the speed of sound, where the windows blew out was about 1km away and extremely heavy damage even there.

This is extremely bad.
    Sad reflection on society is that it's probably not going to be as big international news as if it had happened in the US or Europe. It will find its way down the headlines by Thursday.

I work with a guy from Beirut, he only returned from there last week having visited his family. He said it’s very very bad there; this now on top of the problem they already have, the country is in dire straits. It’s so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Hard to believe your own eyes. Imagine seeing that racing towards you. I can only assume the death toll will be enormous and the number of life altering injuries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Hard to believe your own eyes. Imagine seeing that racing towards you. I can only assume the death toll will be enormous and the number of life altering injuries too.

Anyone that was in the port is probably dead but hopefully it won't be in the hundreds. It was a ship with a load of ammonium nitrate on board according to the lebanese interior minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lot of people gone deaf after that I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Overheal wrote: »
    Lot of people gone deaf after that I reckon

Add possible concussive brain injuries too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Looks like a lot of the casualties are Firefighters who were on scene dealing with the initial blaze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The really close building look like they were completely levelled. Must be hell to live there right now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

That’s was my first reaction, just like a movie special effect. Looked to have just blown apart a couple of square miles... wow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Jesus the amount of people in intollerable pain right now either trapped in rubble or turning up at a hospital that has no medicine, people out of work with Id imagine no social welfare system.

The country was about to go broke before this. Horrible.

• Advertisement

I’m watching Al Jazeera. They’re talking to a man now who is talking about the air being toxic.

Any emergency worker, police, firefighter, ambulance, security within a mile or two at a guess is just dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The orange smoke would indicate some kind of nitrous compounds like fertiliser or something like that. Fertiliser being a common explosive also if Hezbollah weapons store are being blamed.

Edit:

Al Jazeera
    Over 30 now dead. 3000 injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Absolutely shocking. The poor people.

I know people hate the DM but they always have the images early. Looks like enormous devastation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8592549/Massive-explosion-rocks-Beirut-destroying-buildings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looks like a gummy shark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This will be one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

• Advertisement

The mail, reporting a roof at the airport, six miles away collapsed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8592549/Massive-explosion-rocks-Beirut-destroying-buildings.html

Advertisement