Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ireland news thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

KevIRL wrote: »
    Barry McCarthy will make his debut today, good luck to him and the team

Delighted for him - a nice guy and a talented cricketer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

And he takes a wicket with his second ball in ODI cricket!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sri Lanka on course for 290-300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Sri Lanka on course for 290-300?

Something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Good over from Rankin, two wickets and put the brakes on them a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

SL finish on 303/7, presumably too high a mountain to climb!

SL finish on 303/7, presumably too high a mountain to climb!
    I'd guess so, we don't have a good record vs Sri Lanka iirc

I'd guess so, we don't have a good record vs Sri Lanka iirc
    This is actually only the 3rd time we have played them, one of those time was way back in the 2007 WC

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/706767.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/247501.html

90/2 after 18 - seem to be making a decent go of it, at the moment anyway. Next five overs will tell though, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket/status/743496883444789254?lang=en

Ireland behind on the Duckworth Lewis at the moment, hopefully the rain won't return.

Wickets went down very quickly at the end, 6 overs 6 wickets and 6 unused overs, pity we didnt get a bit closer at least

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,503 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

6, 6 and 6 - got to take some solace from that......

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Is today's match on TV? Thought it was supposed to be on Eurosport but no sign of it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,503 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With 24 hours of Le Mans dominating one channel and Andy Murray the other as well as cycling on the Eurosport player I suspect the chances of live coverage may depend on the weather at the tennis

• Advertisement

158-1 not looking good

SL scoring at will now it seems, puts Irish bowling in perspective I guess. But we can't improve without playing better teams.

Edited to add: at 260/1 with a dozen overs left, these lads will get 400 no problem at the rate they're going. The Prasanna lad has hit 66 out of 80 in boundaries!

Could be an embarrassing day.

Seems the most we can hope for now is not to set any new records. We seem to have regressed a good bit the last 2 years, I must have a look at the stats later tonight

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2016/engine/match/913621.html

Strange how the URL for the Cricinfo ball by ball for today's match comes up as England v Sri Lanka ^^^

Ireland lost by 136 runs in the end, never really in contention.

Not a great day for the boys in green - 3 losses out of 3 and 2 of them comprehensive. Ah well, roll on another day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Two desperately disappointing results as Sri Lanka didn't look great against England. To let a tail-ender put us to all parts is not good and has summed up our bowling pretty much since Trent Johnston retired. Our bowlers don't seem to be able to control the run rate as much anymore.

On the positive side, it was good to see McCarthy come in for both games as fresh blood is needed in the side and Andy McBrine hit an excellent 79. He seems to be improving all the time, particularly with the bat.

Moving forward, I would like to see Sean Terry ultimately come into the side as we lack a good middle order batsmen, similar to Joyce. He was excellent for Ireland A against Scotland A recently and hopefully he will make the breakthrough.

The Ireland coach, John Bracewell, wasn't impressed by the bowling. He didn't hold back
    "They played smarter than us and we need to smarten up," he said, reflecting on Seekkuge Prasanna's 46-ball 95 at No. 3. "To go and explore a guy when we've got the notes is, in my opinion, a little bit unforgivable.

"We had good notes on him, and our notes showed that he could hit exactly where he did, and we were slow to react. And by the time we did react, seven overs were gone and 100 runs were added - and that cost us any chance of winning the match.

"We had to drag him away from his arc: he likes the ball in close and he hits through it. Our notes said slower balls and yorkers wide - as it turned out he dragged on a wide yorker. It took us a while to make that adjustment. You have to then assess whether that's arrogance, or ignorance or stubbornness."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2016/content/story/1027569.html

Time for a new captain?

Time for a new captain?

For whatever reason, it never seems to be discussed. Porterfield looks like he will be captain for the rest of his Irish career. Strange that Joyce or the O'Brien's have never taken over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We have gone so far backwards we are at Pre-2007. I really hope all this test-cricket talk is put to bed for a while. Looking at England humiliate Sri Lanka in the test series sends shivers down my spine for what they would do to Ireland

We have gone so far backwards we are at Pre-2007. I really hope all this test-cricket talk is put to bed for a while. Looking at England humiliate Sri Lanka in the test series sends shivers down my spine for what they would do to Ireland

I don't agree with you here, I'm afraid. Test cricket and 50-over cricket are very different beasts. I agree that our limited-overs game has gone backwards, but our white-ball game is still very strong. We could hold our own against the weaker nations, and while we'd get a hiding from the top nations, that's not a surprise. New Zealand took 26 years to win their first test match.

VillaMad wrote: »
    For whatever reason, it never seems to be discussed. Porterfield looks like he will be captain for the rest of his Irish career. Strange that Joyce or the O'Brien's have never taken over.
    8 years as captain now I think, I think we really need the shake up at the moment, or at least as Trent Johnston suggested have a separate t20/odi captain
    The problem is though that we need the funding that comes with test cricket in order to be able to develop further in every format, it's really a silly system from the ICC but hopefully it might change soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

TrueDub wrote: »
    I don't agree with you here, I'm afraid. Test cricket and 50-over cricket are very different beasts. I agree that our limited-overs game has gone backwards, but our white-ball game is still very strong. We could hold our own against the weaker nations, and while we'd get a hiding from the top nations, that's not a surprise. New Zealand took 26 years to win their first test match.

Our bowling attack cannot get wickets in white-ball. They will be worse in red-ball when the batsmen don't even need to attack. And our white-ball and Red-Ball teams do not differ that much.

It is widely believed that the ECB would be very likely to have England as our first test match. Playing against Cook, Root, Bairstow, Broad and Anderson (if he is still about) would be nothing short of an embarrassment.

I also think Sri Lanka are one of the weakest nation's in all form ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Playing England in 2 odis next year. In Bristol on May 5th and Lords on May 7th

Ireland face Afghanistan in the morning in Belfast in the first of five ODI's.

Will be interesting to see where the side is after what a been a poor year so far.

The squad is:
    William Porterfield (capt), Mark Adair, John Anderson, Peter Chase, Ed Joyce, Tyrone Kane, Tim Murtagh, Andy McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Kevin O'Brien, Stuart Poynter, Paul Stirling, Sean Terry, Gary Wilson.

No Boyd Rankin as has Warwickshire commitments. No places for Max Sorensen or George Dockrell either who sadly seems to be slipping off the radar somewhat after his release from Somerset last year.

Mark Adair and Sean Terry get their first call-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ireland-Afghanistan seems to have been called off due to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Second ODI went ahead and is streaming here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImmkiDVJpY&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Looked like 300 was likely on the cards when I started watching (around 167/4 off 35 with two fairly well set batsmen) but then it went 195-5, 209-6, 211-7 (the big wicket at 42.3 overs), 228-8, 238-9 and finally 250 all out (49.2). KOB did the initial damage breaking the opening stand (and picking up both openers) and ended up with 4 wickets, Barry Mc picked up 4 also including the other big one of N Zadran and 8,9,10 caught (including a stunning take down leg from Poynter). 1 each for Chase and Dockrell while Murtagh was economical giving up only 28 off 8 (including a 6 "interestingly" hoicked over mid-wicket off the first ball of his last over). After picking 2 spinners (3 if you count Stirling who didn't bowl) McBrine only got 2 overs which went for 20!

So 251 to win right now. I say right now as the rainfall radar makes me far less confident then cricinfo that there won't be some interruptions.

There was a little bit of drizzle I think but no stoppages. A good start of 71 off 14 from Porterfield (25 off 44) and Joyce (62 off 87) and a good cameo from KOB (35 off 22). Anderson a little slow (26 off 55), Stirling just not enough (16 off 21), Poynter a 3 ball duck and while McBrine tried to sort of hold it together (12 off 21) the rest of the tail just couldn't get moving at all: Dockrell 6 off 13, McCarthy 3 off 10, Murtagh 7 off 11 and Chase 1* off 3. End result all out for 211 and lose by 39, very disappointing really when 250 looked below par on a good pitch. Hopefully we can bounce back.

Slip, sliding away this year it seems?

Today's stream on youtube
    Afghanistan won the toss and decided to bat, 74/3 off 20 with Shahzad still there with 43 of them, get rid of him soon and we'll be feeling confident. Wicket each for McCarthy, KOB and McBrine and Wilson (in 1st slip) just dropped Stanikzai (on 4) off Kevin (fairly routine but sharp chance).

Afghanistan 236 all out off 49.1.

Shahzad ended up with 81 off 95 before guiding one into Wilson's hands at slip reducing them to 143-5 off 31.3. Had the pressure on and looked like we might have got them out for under 200 but a really good knock from Nabi (40 off 41) held it together until KOB got him to lift a slower ball to Murtagh at long-on in the 47th over.

Murtagh super economical again with 1-31 off his 10, KOB just as economical but even more dangerous grabbing 3-28 off 9.1, McCarthy 3-57 off his 10 including the first breakthrough getting Ahmadi early, Chase 2-68 off his 10 more expensive again but got the vital Shahzad, McBrine 1-22 off 4 and Stirling 0-28 off 6 shared the 5th bowlers job.

Terry making his debut today (in place of Dockrell) should add more firepower to the batting line-up (and Wilson's experience back in instead of Anderson, though Poynter obviously kept the gloves) so fingers crossed we can chase this down.

2-1 when Porterfield nicked off stupidly having seen everything moving away from him. 12-2 when Terry was given LBW (I thought he was hit outside the line but cricinfo thought it was plumb). 29-3 Poynter sweeps it straight into the hands of backward square. Hundred partnership between Joyce (now 70 off 88) and KOB (56 off 64). Score now 144-3 off 30, 93 required off the last 20 with Stirling still to come (and Wilson), our RR just climbed ahead of the RRR (4.65).

Good win in the end, although the top order was disappointing and.. I am not sure how to phrase this as I mean no disrespect, but KOB being our best bowler does not fill me with confidence as against the top teams he tends to get hammered a bit, we are missing Rankin alright ad McCarthy is getting wickets but we need better

• Advertisement

Game 4 live on youtube. Ireland unchanged from the last game. First wicket fell in Chase's first over 28-1 though it wasn't Shazad. 39/1 off 8 now.

I won't get to see too much today myself as I've to head off to play, the closed days for Irish games are long gone ;)

98/5 now

Good position now at 109/6 off 32.

edited to add: hmmm.. accelerated a fair bit in last 10 overs! Could be tricky yet?

229/7 in the end, which is disappointing. Could certainly be tricky now alright. Bad drop by Murtagh towards the end cost a few runs

Jaysus, 15 runs an over for the final three, poor bowling at the death.

Afghans a bit 'unsporting' in run out of Joyce... what goes around comes around at end of the day.

• Advertisement

I wasn't watching the live coverage at the time, but I saw this photo was posted on cricketeurope

102813.jpg

What a beating that turned into!

I wasn't watching the live coverage at the time, but I saw this photo was posted on cricketeurope

102813.jpg

Disgraceful - he should be dropped for any remaining games and the Afghan captain too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

BarryD wrote: »
    Disgraceful - he should be dropped for any remaining games and the Afghan captain too.

?

Sorry lads don't really know the ins and out... what did he do here?

gufc21 wrote: »
    ?

Sorry lads don't really know the ins and out... what did he do here?

He's touching the ball while also touching the ground beyond the boundary. It should be four runs, but I assume he said it wasn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement