Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Amazing spell from Broad, I watched most of it before I had to head out for a cycle. Really good series win down in South Africa. A lot of excellence on display, Taylor's two stunning catches at short leg, Stokes inswinger to Morris, and Finn and Jimmi doing an excellent support job stiffling the South African batsmen at one end while Broad ran riot at the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

McCullum scores 145 from 79 balls. Fastest ton ever, from 54 balls. Slogged most of them,New Zealand 370 all out. Anderson and himself put on 179 at nearly 10 an over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's his last test too right? Some send-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Grabbed the most sixes in Test Cricket Record, Caught off a No Ball on 39*, Fastest Century in Test Cricket ... farewell appearances are usually anti climaxes, not this time!

He'll probably have to do a bit more in the Second Innings to get a result for NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I was just thinking.Could McCullum be the first player in the history of sport to Set 2 World Records in his final game.

Not actually holding either record before the game but setting them in the game (rather than already holding the records and adding to them in the game which numerous players would have done).

• Advertisement

He will have to bat well in his last innings. Australia are 420/4. Lead by 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

He will have to bat well in his last innings. Australia are 420/4. Lead by 50.

NZ in big trouble - still effectively -14 for 4. They probably need a double century from Kane Williamson to get back into this game.

New Zealand battling. 197/4. Need another 200 or so for a good game. Lead by 62 now.

Australia 201/3. Win by 7 wickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Very sad news about James Taylor. Its a big blow for England aswell:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/997033.html

• Advertisement

Sad indeed for him, to work so hard and then have to retire, but at least considering how serious the condition can be they diagnosed it

Cook doesn't enforce the Follow On with a first Innings lead of 391 and rain on the way.

Seems like a very negative decision. He will get huge criticism if England run out of time in this match.

The test between Sri Lanka and Australia turned into a bit of an epic in the end, bowled out for 117 in the first innings they went on to win by 106 for only their 2nd test win over the Aussies

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-australia-2016/content/story/1040633.html

From 161/8 to all out, Australia went 25.4 overs without adding any runs. Hard to picture that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ireland vs south Africa ODI on sky sports 3.

We're not fielding or bowling too well. tossing up too many half volleys and De Kock making hay.

Couple of dropped catches too

56-0 from 8.3 overs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Make a couple of dropped catches equal to 7 dropped catches. Ya never see that from an ireland team

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

We'll do well to keep this under 340

Another 200 run defeat. Becoming all too regular now..

Far too regular :( I didn't even bother to read the report this time around

Batting first against Australia 101/2 off 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

121-2 to 123-5 25ov

Will be a challenge to bat out the overs.

198 all out. Lasted less than 44 overs. A lot of stiffs in that team.

Lost by 9 wickets. Only took 30 overs. If Ireland get test status, records will tumble.

Afghanistan beat Bangladesh by 2 wickets. Series level 1-1

Nice win for them!

Bangladesh well on their way to handing out a thrashing in todays game

Aussies whitewashed 5-0. Warner played a fantasic innings, 173 off 136 balls, ran himself out near the end. Second highest score was 35. If I played against Imran Tahir I would either kill him by hitting him with the bat, or a bouncer in the head. He is an annoying prick.

If I played against Imran Tahir I would either kill him by hitting him with the bat, or a bouncer in the head. He is an annoying prick.

Considering how Buttler and Stokes reacted to Bangladesh players this week I'm surprised they haven't done just that :D

Derco wrote: »
    Considering how Buttler and Stokes reacted to Bangladesh players this week I'm surprised they haven't done just that :D
    Kill might be a bit strong. Its just a figure of speech. But all that running and racing and overreaction to a wicket is annoying. Jim Laker took 19 wickets in a test, then got his jumper back off the umpire. England v Bangladesh was a good series, West Indies have bowled 55 overs today, no wickets. Pakistan 172/0.

• Advertisement

Bangladesh 71/1 Tamim Iqbal 50* keep going Tamim. The first test was a fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

201/5. England fighting back after a brilliant Tamin century.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

lambayire wrote: »
    201/5. England fighting back after a brilliant Tamin century.

220 all out. Some collapse. England 42-2 in reply. This series has been fantastic.

220 could be enough. What a strange day

• Advertisement

220 could be enough. What a strange day

Looked like being plenty until Woakes and Rashid put on 99 for the 9th wicket. England wind up with a lead of 24. England's lower middle order has bailed them out so many times this year.

England 8 down in 2nd innings, still over 100 runs short. Shocking collapse since tea. The place is going nuts.

Great win for them in the end! 10 wickets in a session.

It would have been a shame if Bangladesh had lost both matches in the series, a good result for them and for Test Cricket in general.

Brilliant from Bangladesh. They are a really improving team. Was a brilliant series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

South Africa without AB go 32/4 on the opening day in Perth, recover to 242.

Australia go to 158/0 in response, Steyn goes off injured shoulder again at 166/1, but they collapse to 244 all out, 86/10 :eek:

Maharaj making a day two Perth pitch look like it's spinning square...without ever actually spinning a ball...

Australia 85 all out against SA just now, they were lucky to get over 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Skid X wrote: »
    Australia 85 all out against SA just now, they were lucky to get over 50.

Aye, horrible morning in Hobart to have to have a bat, they look well behind in this test now, very likely to go 2 down in the series.

England look good in India, should be able to put up an unattainable total quickly in the morning and put the game safe, then have a lash at the Indian batting line-up to see if they can push for an unlikely win, that said it's hard to see anything but a draw coming on Day 5 tomorrow.

Shout out to the young Hameed on debut, looks a real good opening prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Great performance from Morgan today. Excellent knock and very good captaincy in the field.

He is the first England player to score 1500 T20i runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Definitely needed by Morgan. With Root about to take the Test Captaincy, Morgan will be feeling pressure on his own role in the team.

Good tour for him ,especially since he's usually terrible outside England

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alastair Cook has resigned as England captain

Looks like he'll be looking to play on in the test team, with Root expected to become captain

No surprises at all, and hopefully it will allow Cook to once again flourish as an opener, although his batting didn't seem to suffer that much when he had the additional responsibility of captaincy.

I was a bit surprised to see Cook's average as Skipper was marginally better than before his appointment

As captain 59 Tests Average: 46.53
    In the ranks 81 Tests Average: 46.36

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/10723081/alastair-cook-england-captaincy-in-stats

Seems like the right time for a change anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he performs without the Captaincy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He's arguably at the time in his career when he can best capitalise on his experience. IIRC when he started off in the test team he was prolific but also a bit more aggressive in his approach. Perhaps the captaincy took that aggressive streak away as he would battle for the good of the team rather than any personal glory. Hopefully he'll really flourish without the responsibility of the captaincy

I only hope Root does not suffer in a similar way, but he is so talented (as well as a down to earth Yorkshireman;)) I'm hoping he will stand up to the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have mixed feelings on it.

I don't think Cook is a particularly good captain. He is ridiculously conservative and can be quite spiteful towards bowlers that were selected but doesn't fancy himself.

However, I do not see what Joe Root has shown that he will be better at captaining a cricket team than Alastair Cook. SSN showed his captaincy history over his lifetime. He has captained a team 17 times in his life. This included local underage level. They even included an under 13s game :pac:

Whilst I don't rate nor like Cook as a captain, are they so convinced that Joe Root will be better at setting fields, choosing bowlers, settings declarations etc?

There is a ridiculous clamour to blame captains after a bad series. The first test in India was Cooks fault and his obsessively negative captaincy but they were beaten up in the rest of the series. Those were not Cooks fault.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Cook gone. He is a wonderful batsman but a horrible person and a negative captain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement