Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byrne's think I gone as far as I can...

Options
  • 02-07-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

So following on from my thread "family disappear" ... I have gained some more info, but it seems to end there.

I have gotten back to my ggg-grandfather Joseph Byrne, B. 1807 D. 1881 from Ballyinacloe and his wife Anne Byrne (O'Toole) B.1821 and D 1881. I don't have marriage details or birth records for either of them, I got this info from their grave inscription.

Have I gone back as far as I can go? Does any one think I could go back any further?

Is there any point to keep searching. I think I have done pretty well getting all this info online for free...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I would say more thank likely.

BUT....you are into local history research now and there are all sorts of other types of records that could prove fruitful.

An obvious one, but if the parish registers start before 1807 then search 'em page by page.

Chief Secretary's Office Papers begin 1818 and contain loads of petitions, maybe Joseph Byrne's father signed one.

Whatever local newspapers exist for the time. Check out the Newspaper database on the NLI website

Records of the local landlord. A long shot but you never know.

The DIPPAM website has all sorts stuff beginning in 1801

Get on Google Books and do local history research. I have found all sorts of stuff for the small village I am from.

Local history/education/archaeology/genealogy groups who publish articles and journals.

Try and build a detailed picture of where they were from for the 1800-1820 period and other clues might emerge.

Advertisement