Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Search Question

Options
  • 20-01-2011 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am searching my great grandparent wedding cert.

Nellis Davis
    John Vance

married in Belfast...there is a near match on the family search. Only the film number and DFN is the same as well as year and place of marriage. Could these be a match?

Name:Nellie DavisRegistration District:BelfastEvent Type:MARRIAGESRegistration Quarter and Year:Oct - Dec 1921Estimated Birth Year:Age (at Death):Mother's Maiden Name:Film Number:101264Volume Number:1Page Number:230Digital Folder Number:4199366Image Number:00629

Name:John VanceRegistration District:BelfastEvent Type:MARRIAGESRegistration Quarter and Year:Oct - Dec 1921Estimated Birth Year:Age (at Death):Mother's Maiden Name:Film Number:101264Volume Number:1Page Number:250Digital Folder Number:4199366Image Number:00653

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the details that need to match for a possible marriage are - the registration district, year/quarter, volume number and page.

The other details are LDS internal references and not relevant to the GRO

The page number is different on the two details you quoted - therefore these two people cannot have married each other.

Shane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    The page number is different on the two details you quoted - therefore these two people cannot have married each other.

Shane

I don't know what LDS records look like but isn't it possible that they have 2 sets of records, one for each person, one 2 separate pages?

hayzer, as Shane said you'll need the GRO references in order to order the cert (LDS can't help you here) but you could just go to your closest LDS center and check there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the page number refers to the page in the marriage register which the bride and groom sign after the ceremony - so a single page might look something like :

Register Volume 2 / page 240

27th Dec 1879 Joe Murphy & Sarah Kelly
    2nd Jan 1880 Patrick O'Sullivan & Kathleen O'Reilly

i.e. two marriages on this register page - some registers have more than two per page. This is the page number which appears on the Index - both the index books in the GRO and on familysearch. The references for this page (the 2/240) will appear in the index books in four separate pages - i.e. under each of the names involved, only sorted alphabetically.

The same year-qtr/district/volume/page matching technique works with the actual index books.

The page and volume numbers on the familysearch index are as-used by the GRO - the other references (film & image number etc) are created by FamilySearch and relate to their films of the Index.

Shane

Advertisement