Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Census Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Right, I had a good look using Maguire, McGuire, MacGuire and even MacUidhir. Can't find them. I tried searching for just first names in combination with the birth county and approx ages, as well as searching for each of the 3 eldest sons. From the 1911 census, there's a 6th child, probably the eldest who is absent from this return.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Right, I had a good look using Maguire, McGuire, MacGuire and even MacUidhir. Can't find them. I tried searching for just first names in combination with the birth county and approx ages, as well as searching for each of the 3 eldest sons. From the 1911 census, there's a 6th child, probably the eldest who is absent from this return.

So is it possible they didn't live in Ireland then?

It's much more likely to be bad transcription. But you'd have to click through to each potential and view the forms yourself to be sure.

Try this: select 12 year child 1911 and find his birth cert using familysearch. Get the address from that and try it in the 1901 census. The chances are good that they'd still be in that place. If no joy, get the addresses for the 2 younger daughters, I know they wouldn't have been born in 1901, but again, more addresses to try.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's beaten me.

There is no "Mary Anne" born in County Louth, ~30years of age and married who matches up even if the surname was registered as something different.

Yeah - she could easily be down as just "Mary" on the 1901.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

This is a hard one!

I did find a possible/probable birth record here for the 12 year old Thomas. I searched the whole area of that address for 1901 and found nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I was going to suggest that the street number (7 Harmony Row) may have been mis-recorded or mis-transcribed on that baptism record, as numbers 5 to 12 Harmony Row are listed on the 1901 building returns as 'carriage works' ... but then spotted Thomas's 1911 occupation of 'coach smith', so looking like a good connection.

see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003814040/ (building return)

Even thought the works is listed on the census building return as unoccupied, maybe the family was living in some accommodation in the works and the enumerator missed them ?

The works is also shown at the same location in Thom's 1894 as 'Coach Works', with John Begley as the proprietor. There's one named household (Mr. Michael Cashin) and a few businesses listed on the street (the coach works, provision dealer, slater & horseshoer), and there are also a few tenement at 1,2,14,15,16,18 & 19

Shane

Nice piece of detective work, Shane. That looks a good possibility. OP: it may be worth going into the National Archives and looking at the original returns for that street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement