Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Strange Stereotypes in Film and TV

Options
  • 27-01-2003 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Trying to compile a few of these. Not the usual ones, but inexplicable ones like:

(Primarily in American Films) Gay men are speaking on the telephone will always do so topless and lying on a bed. (Thankfully this doesn't seem to apply to cell-phones).

(Primarily in British period dramas) Lesbians in bed with each other will spend at least 5 minutes giggling in a knowing way. Whether this is before, after or instead of sex isn't made clear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

In American films older gay men were all Liberace clones and always had some ugly ****ing poddle or some other poofy dog.

Uhm, Police Academy , The Blue Oyster Club :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Oh. Dungarees.
    Only ever worn by house-painters, pregnant women, lesbians, pregnant lesbian house-painters and members of Dexy's Midnight Runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Tight tops cut off to show off the belly, with shorts and perhaps the greatest give away of all "bottled water".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gay men never tell unfunny jokes, and rarely do they tell non-risqué ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Gay men never tell unfunny jokes

and that's a bad thing? Although yeah, a lot of gay people I know are funnier than straight people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Gay men are speaking on the telephone will always do so topless and lying on a bed.

I bet this causes problems when they apply for jobs at call centres....

Tight tops cut off to show off the belly, with shorts and perhaps the greatest give away of all "bottled water".

That's not a million miles off the truth in some gay clubs. If you've got it, flaunt it! Unfortunately some of the people flaunting it quite distinctly don't have it, or have rather too much of it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"the greatest give away of all "bottled water"."

(Sorry for breaking off into a tangent here) Heh, was the first person in my school shop to buy it. Got some weird looks.

Am always drinking bottled water these days though - but I think there definitely is a distinct comparison between the brand you drink and the type of person you are.

Evian and Volvic (perhaps Perrier?) are generally the gay water groups - Ballygowan, River Rock and such are just normal guy water.

:P That's what I see on a daily basis anyway.

My local train station only sells Evian. Should I accuse the bloke behind the counter of having a hidden gay agenda? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hang on a second there now, u saying not all ghey men have great bodies and less self control than women!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If there's a gay guy in a movie (usu a teen movie but anything recent and mainstream), he's the one everyone comes to for advice. He is willing to travel across the country to give that advice in person. This makes sense as in real life all gay men are capable of wonderful insights into human behaviour, quiet introspection and generally making the world a better place. This is especially true when the guy is Rupert Everett.

Where the gay character is a woman, she's a little bit cynical, a little bit cute, a little bit underappreciated. Unlike her male equivalent, she really does have the answers to all life's problems. Someday she'll be the president. In the meantime, she's happy to be just outside the mainstream keeping a healthy cynicism about people who don't think for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Evian, heh. I have an Evian hat and t-shirt at home

sceptre - both of those are broadly true though :)

Advertisement