Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PMC83 wrote: »
    So Snyman says he'll be missing for international duty. What do Munster fans reckon? Seems like a bit of a stinger but likely the coaching ticket knew this was the case before signing.

I remember reading that there was a 'Gentleman's agreement' with Fardy when he joined Leinster from the Brumbies. Whether its true or not I have no idea.
    No player can stop being called up for games or training camps inside international window. Munster likely did know it and he wont miss any big games
    Fardy wouldnt have been able to stop being called up for games inside test window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No player can stop being called up for games or training camps inside international window. Munster likely did know it and he wont miss any big games
    Fardy wouldnt have been able to stop being called up for games inside test window.

Fardy didn’t have enough caps for the exemption that Aussies have if I remember right. So although they could call him up he knew they wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭PMC83

Officially they cant be stopped, but very likely a head coach has at some stage said 'we really need someone whos available for the full club calendar year' to a potential overseas signing, which is fair enough in my book.

Regardless of all that if Synman plays Rugby Championship during Nov and Dec, he will deffo be missing a few big games.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rg-snyman-confirms-he-will-choose-springboks-over-munster/?fbclid=IwAR2wMZDY_X2eTD-gnFzjv0GbzCzUMFCZ5KFME2ocI6YHBgz1UEtgJs4yhdk

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In hindsight it's unlikely Snyman or DDA would give up Springbok selection in a Lions season. It's the only opportunity in their careers to be involved.

It's the business end of the season where Munster have been mostly found wanting. We come up against a Racing/Leinster/Saracens and don't have enough on the pitch to get the job done. As long as Snyman and DDA are fit and available for those games, we can't begrudge them international callups. The wear and tear of playing all year round might be an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In hindsight it's unlikely Snyman or DDA would give up Springbok selection in a Lions season. It's the only opportunity in their careers to be involved.

It's the business end of the season where Munster have been mostly found wanting. We come up against a Racing/Leinster/Saracens and don't have enough on the pitch to get the job done. As long as Snyman and DDA are fit and available for those games, we can't begrudge them international callups. The wear and tear of playing all year round might be an issue.

Neither of them have played since the Japanese season finished in February, so they'll be grand this year.

• Advertisement

So Snyman says he'll be missing for international duty. What do Munster fans reckon? Seems like a bit of a stinger but likely the coaching ticket knew this was the case before signing.

I remember reading that there was a 'Gentleman's agreement' with Fardy when he joined Leinster from the Brumbies. Whether its true or not I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure most Munster fans were well aware that they'd be available for international selection. There's already been discussions on here about them possibly having to quarantine after returning from the Rugby Championship.

Fair enough! A shame they will not be playing straight away though

Fair enough! A shame they will not be playing straight away though

If fit they'll be available to play against Leinster and Connacht at the end of this month and in the play offs. And they'll be available for the first two or three rounds of next seasons Pro14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Will he not miss the first couple of European games? If the rugby championship finished on Dec 12th, he won't be available to Munster until January.

I presume this applies to De Allende also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Will he not miss the first couple of European games? If the rugby championship finished on Dec 12th, he won't be available to Munster until January.

As the rules currently stand I think they’ll have to quarantine 2 weeks out and 2 weeks on the way home. I’d say though there may be exemptions for some of that and it’s also a good bit away giving plenty of time for things to improve or even get worse. Although that all said I’d say there’s a reasonable chance of that competition not happening at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It's a good thing if your top quality players get called away to play internationally. It keeps them at the top of their game by exposing them to the very best rugby and it gives you a chance to develop other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

In the normal course of a season he wouldn't miss any big games due to the timing of the RC. This year is just different due to Covid and even at this point South Africa themselves have not committed to entering the Tournament as it will be held in one country and not home and away as normal. Neinaber has already spoken publicly about not sending a team if they can't get domestic rugby up and running and their players match fit.

I still think there is a chance European competition may not go ahead this season so I think it's more of a wait and see scenario.

It's a good thing if your top quality players get called away to play internationally. It keeps them at the top of their game by exposing them to the very best rugby and it gives you a chance to develop other players.

Thats a positive way to look at it TBF. But at the same time these guys are marquee signings who were brought in to help Munster win some much needed trophy's. Yes them playing for the boks helps keep them sharp, but it also has them risking injury that could keep them out of red fro even longer.

You really don't want to be developing playing during the business end of a season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is there anything to be said for another mass a build up thread for Saturday fortnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yes they can. They can retire from international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭nerd69

Happy enough that they are tbh. Means more chance of gametime for some of the quality young players coming through at the moment. They are back for the business end of the year and if we are already out of Europe by the time they get back then we didn't deserve it anyway

The only kicker would.be if they get hurt in international duty but it's worth it because I despise the you need to retire for this contract contracts ala nadolo in france

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That he was a back isnt really a factor. I coached and reffed teams that would have played him playing at younger age groups when he was playing in the backs and he wasnt a stand out.

He may not have been a stand out back but he is a stand out second row. My point in relation to him playing in the backs was to do with his speed and positioning down the line. The try he scored against Scotland in this year's under 20s game was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jack Stafford has signed for Harlequins after impressing on trial

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Caranica wrote: »
    He may not have been a stand out back but he is a stand out second row. My point in relation to him playing in the backs was to do with his speed and positioning down the line. The try he scored against Scotland in this year's under 20s game was a thing of beauty.

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1223637841185583106

Caranica wrote: »
    try was a thing of beauty but dont think him playing much in backs was reason for it.

• Advertisement

Jack Stafford has signed for Harlequins after impressing on trial

Only a 3 month deal at the moment. Hopefully it goes well for him.

try was a thing of beauty but dont think him playing much in backs was reason for it.

That's a guy who is 6'9. That's serious pace for a second row.

That's a guy who is 6'9. That's serious pace for a second row.
    Him playing wing or centre in Dungarvan/Youghal was not a factor and i recall coaching/reffing games involving him and he didnt have that pace back then anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Him playing wing or centre in Dungarvan/Youghal was not a factor and i recall coaching/reffing games involving him and he didnt have that pace back then anyway....

we get it, you are a ref.

I'm sorry do you not see the green jersey? I think Youghal is Yellow and black stripes.

I'm sorry do you not see the green jersey? I think Youghal is Yellow and black stripes.
    Well people were saying the pace came from him playing in the backs. He was playing in backs as 13/14 year old and he's been second row since shortly after that. to say all the pace came from playing as a wing in the east munster u14 league isnt really true now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Squad update: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/08/10/squad-update-seven-players-return-to-full-training/

It appears that Salanoa, Beirne, Carbery, Goggin and Haley will be unavailable for the game against Leinster.

Can't believe ye've broken Salanoa already.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can't believe ye've broken Salanoa already.

Like clockwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Like clockwork

RGS and DdA both available for first game tho... That's a serious break from tradition of big signings

Advertisement