Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota CHR, good buy?

• 05-08-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

My grandad wants to change his 171 Golf DSG because it’s too low down and is liking the CHR Hybrid Luna Sport spec.
    I’m just a little concerned it could be a bit of a climb down coming out of a Golf in terms of quality. It’s the car that best combines fitting the budget and requirements.
    Any opinions on this or similar priced alternatives? Hybrid is not a must but car has to be automatic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say drive one first and see. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. He might hate the gearbox, but again he mightn’t care.

There is also the VW T-Roc and T Cross as well as the obligatory SEAT and Skoda cousins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Father in law bought one a few weeks ago, went from a 1.6 petrol focus.. he absolutely loves it.

Saving him a lot on fuel too.

Nice looking and fairly comfortable but would still class it as quite compact.
    I'm 6 foot and hit my head getting out of passenger side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

Only real criticism of them is the boot isn’t huge and the sloping roof means tighter back seat head height. If he doesn’t regularly carry 4 people though, not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d say drive one first and see. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. He might hate the gearbox, but again he mightn’t care.

There is also the VW T-Roc and T Cross as well as the obligatory SEAT and Skoda cousins.

I was more thinking about going from a DSG to CVT would be a bit of a difference. Also his is the Allstar edition so to match that again in VW would be really costly but I think the Luna Sport CHR is almost a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The gearboxes are quite different alright, but some people don’t even think about or notice these things.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    Only real criticism of them is the boot isn’t huge and the sloping roof means tighter back seat head height. If he doesn’t regularly carry 4 people though, not an issue.

No back seats won’t be regularly used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

There's a new suv Toyota Corolla coming out.(Toyota Cross)

horse7 wrote: »
    There's a new suv Toyota Corolla coming out.(Toyota Cross)

Yaris also....

Yes I think it’s called Yaris cross. No idea when it’s in production though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes I think it’s called Yaris cross. No idea when it’s in production though

Not here for another 12 months.

Unless your granddad is flooring the pedal he'd be be hard pressed to notice it's a CVT gearbox.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Not here for another 12 months.

Unless your granddad is flooring the pedal he'd be be hard pressed to notice it's a CVT gearbox.

Far from it! He’s 83 so he takes it easy. The CHR looks like it could be the way to go if the figures are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

I posted this a month ago in response to similiar question:
    "Mother in law (72) loves hers. It's a Sol and she's had since March 2019. Finds easy to drive, park etc Loves hybrid system, quiet and smooth. We test drove good few similiar crossovers, thought she might go Audi, but she thought expensive when specced.
    I've driven it alot myself. Lovely driving position, good handling, comfortable. I probably would find under powered for long haul, but if I was buying for myself would be 2.0 hybrid version. 1.8 hybrid perfect for her.
    The Sol was not cheap, but has lots safety kit ( including BSM) and heated seats. It feels like a quality car, Toyota have upped game on interiors. She has no problem with tech.
    I agree though, rear passenger area a little dark."

scooby77 wrote: »
    I posted this a month ago in response to similiar question:
    "Mother in law (72) loves hers. It's a Sol and she's had since March 2019. Finds easy to drive, park etc Loves hybrid system, quiet and smooth. We test drove good few similiar crossovers, thought she might go Audi, but she thought expensive when specced.
    I've driven it alot myself. Lovely driving position, good handling, comfortable. I probably would find under powered for long haul, but if I was buying for myself would be 2.0 hybrid version. 1.8 hybrid perfect for her.
    The Sol was not cheap, but has lots safety kit ( including BSM) and heated seats. It feels like a quality car, Toyota have upped game on interiors. She has no problem with tech.
    I agree though, rear passenger area a little dark."

Sol looks amazing but really bumps up the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Large blind spot thanks to huge C pillar, worth ensuring he can live with that.

Large blind spot thanks to huge C pillar, worth ensuring he can live with that.

Camera brilliant for parking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Thinking more of actual driving than parking, merging, cyclists and so on.

That’s on the Golf and it’s a really useful feature. We really need to go and see it and drive one properly, and of course get a few figures. I’d be hoping around €12k would do it but maybe I’m dreaming

This got delayed a bit thanks to Covid.

He’s going to look at a 211 Sport trim demo model over the next few days. It’s €32k bit nit sure of cost to change. Would hope for €12-13k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Nice motor. In relation to cost to change, I traded my Astra for a brand new Puma recently, and got significantly more than I was expecting for my trade in. Dealer had a buyer for my car the same day I enquired about changing, so maybe that helped but it would appear Brexit and other factors are boosting used car sales.

Deal done at €13900 for a 211 demo with 2000km on the clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Good job, that was a very good deal. Mine ended up at €13500 (my trade in was 18 reg with 40K on the clock), new car was priced at just under €29K.

Advertisement