Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses object to Merchant's Quay drug injection clinic in Dublin

Options
  • 07-06-2019 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭

I spotted this article from last year in relation to Merchants Quay after I read an article that the HSE has objected to a new injection clinic beside their own offices!!! I wonder why?

Similar proposals are there for Cork as well.

Normally I would never agree with what Vintners want - I actually despise this country's relationship with drink in general and think that's another issue the city council should deal with more.

However, in relation to drug treatment centers in Dublin City Center they are 100% right.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dublin-vintners-hit-out-at-plans-for-drug-injecting-centre-883844.html

Why are we focusing all these problems on the city center of our capital city? To me it's vandalism. Just as bad as grafitti or whatever. They are bringing in addicts from halfway across the country every day - centralising them in the city center.

Of course the businesses are worried about anti social behaviour and tourists etc. If you lower the tone of the city center with large amounts of heroin addicts you can be sure that like flies on sh!t the casual scummers are never far behind and then everything is dragged down for everyone.

What's the solution here? We clearly need to spread the clinics out more.

My own solution is just direct them to abandoned industrial estates somewhere but some will say "they need help" etc.

Fair enough. But I don't see the problem in not congregating them in the center of Dublin. It's hugely damaging for the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

theyre already in the city centre because thats where their source of revenue is (loads of people and businesses to beg/steal from) and thats where the dealers are due to economies of scale. they are already shooting up in alleys and doorways openly. i agree its not ideal to have the services in the city centre but can you name a better location that wont then become a hell hole?

I haven’t been in dublin center in a long time. Would Gardaí walk the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

theyre already in the city centre because thats where their source of revenue is (loads of people and businesses to beg/steal from) and thats where the dealers are due to economies of scale. they are already shooting up in alleys and doorways openly. i agree its not ideal to have the services in the city centre but can you name a better location that wont then become a hell hole?

But..but..the dealers are there because the addicts are there because the addicts are attending the clinics.

Most don't live in the city center. A lot don't live in Dublin!

Treat them locally.

Spread it out. Don't centralise the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I have sympathy with the businesses not wanting an existing social problem concentrated on their doorsteps. Drug addicts and their antics are undeniably highly unwelcome. However, the problem of drugs exists and won't be helped if we don't provide services. I think the solution has to be a business rates reduction to compensate the businesses affected. How exactly you implement that, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But..but..the dealers are there because the addicts are there because the addicts are attending the clinics.

Most don't live in the city center. A lot don't live in Dublin!

Treat them locally.

Spread it out. Don't centralise the problem.
    yep thats reasonable. still think theyll be attracted to the city centre even if the services are elsewherr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I used to work around the corner from merchants Quay. Every day we were being accosted for "money for the bus" or a smoke. Human feces, used needles, zombified corpses were a daily occurance. The injection Centre will get rid of some of that but we still have to deal with these people looking for their €2 or their smokes, and it will also become a legal haven for drug dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I used to work around the corner from merchants Quay. Every day we were being accosted for "money for the bus" or a smoke. Human feces, used needles, zombified corpses were a daily occurance. The injection Centre will get rid of some of that but we still have to deal with these people looking for their €2 or their smokes, and it will also become a legal haven for drug dealing.
    The streets near merchants quay are already a haven for drug dealing, it would take less than 5mins to spot the activity (just stand on the bridge and look around at the different groups gathered, gardai are often in the area but it doesn't deter them)

Advertisement