Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on the other half at xmas?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Nothing, she doesn't want anything and I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It's the thought, not the amount. And after all, isn't it someone else's birthday?
    No. That guys birthday is supposed to be on a different date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

^Ah here, lads, someone give her a kiss, FFS.

Thats the second person on boards this month that thought I was female! :eek:

Got a kiss last night so happy days!

Seriously though, the most I spent on a gf was €280. It was alot for me at the time cas I was in college and next thing to broke. I never spent less than 150 on my ex, but depending on fiances I think any novalty thingimybob over 500quid is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

My OH refuses to do suprises so I always have to tell him what to get!. We spent about 100 euro each which I think is grand when I hear of people spending 500-600 I am shocked. Spent about 50 quid each on my brothers and sister and about 150 on my mam but she does so much for me that thats nothing in comparision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Myself and my OH had initally set a limit of €300.00 to spend on each other but that has since gone. We're just back from NYC and while there he bought me a new IPod and lots of accessories to go with it and apparently he has some other small presents for me that I don't know about so I'm guessing he has spent €500.00 approx. I bought him a new Canon digital camera and lens that he really wanted which was bloody expensive (:( ) but its worth it if its what he really wants. I also have a couple of DVDs for him that I had bought before we left for New York. Whatever way you look at it the budget is well gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

where is car mad gone, i loved his posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I don't have an other half, and there is no such thing as Xmas. Speaking of spending money on people, Christmas is coming up and I'll spend a bit on presents, but probably not as much as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

prob about 50squids. he's got everything he wants/needs so usually its some bits, jokey stuff etc. he hasn't got much money so gets really embarrassed or feels guilty if he thinks i've spent too much. most i ever spent was about 100 and that would be the limit, its silly spending stupid amounts of money, more money does not equal more love, and i prefer to buy small things that mean something, funny t-shirts i know he'll like, art materials etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love to get stuff for my boyf, we're both in college, he has no job and feels bad when I get him presents. :rolleyes: I spent about 150e on him last year. Video game, clothes, bits n pieces I thought he'd like. This year we're goin to London after Xmas so wont be much cash for pressies :(

• Advertisement

how do yous pronounce xmas?? :mad:

I think you should all get x-men for christmas :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It varies. I don't care what things cost, it's the choposing that is annoying. Why do girls like Nothing? :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just saw this topic, just added up my stuff there..
    jasus.. lookin at about 1100-1150 i spent on her,
    But I've been buying lot of stuff from a month or two ago and or was throwin 100 quid into the cc now an then so kinda dind't actualy feel that i was out of pocket which is the worse thing defo will be setting a limit with each other next year tho. ah well.. its only money I'll just have to work harder to re-coop it
    have no bills at the moment and stop taking drugs so supppose its going to better things,

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

My god - what did you buy her???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

mukki wrote:
    where is car mad gone, i loved his posts
    my ears are burning :eek:
    you know she wanted ring so i bought her home an ould peice of copper ring and put it in a big box she wasnt happy that day:o
    ah i did buy her a few penny jellies there last week though you have to splash out now and again;)
    but you know i done such a great job on the car she dont want anything for xmas.but we did go for a spin in the car the other nite.it was great we pulled in to a quite spot just me and her ........................... and the gards
    How yis lads :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

KTRIC wrote:
    This is a trap, you've been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

emm, i got her a 32" lcd telly.. do be in her gaff a lot an stay a fair bit so I really wanted it lol!
    we were ment to go halfs on a digital camera for christmas but think ill just give it to her cause i know if we go anywere i'll be the one taking the pics before i get myself in bits!
    other things such as a few dvds.. perfume bubble bath, few belly rings...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cjt156 wrote:
    This is a trap, you've been warned.
    Warned again, don't be a fool!
    She will use this against you!
    :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

bugler wrote:
    I can't agree with those who spend little or nothing at all on gifts at Christmas. Don't you like receiving and giving presents? They don't have to be expensive to be good of course, but often they are.
    Lol, excessive consumerism blows, gifts are simply an expression of kindness towards someone you love, the less associated with money and the commercial world it is the better present it is. I can cater for a lot of my interests for free due to the internet(there's no point in buying me video games, DVDs or CDs) and a lot of times when anyone's gotten me clothes I've not liked them. My parents usually get me some expensive luxury I want although I try and never let them spend an excessive amount on me(this year a €250 MP3 player and I hope not to get much else). Besides this, these days I guess I don't particularly like receiving presents in general as I can't remember the last time anyone got me something I REALLY liked. I love the day and being with my relatives, but the presents do little to enhance it for anyone but the children.

As for giving presents I usually just get something small for my sis and parents(had a gf last Xmas and spent about €30 - I'm only 17 and have no job so I actually couldn't afford these extortionate sums, but I can't imagine going over €50 on an Xmas present even if I did). IMO people spend such large amounts of money because they have no imagination. It's a surefire way to ensure your partner will be happy with little creative effort from yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

about a grand this year laptop and phone and hair ****e.

She spent about 1400 on me, im a a "i want " person CPU Ram GPU Monitor Wii + games :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Never spend much more than about €200 give or take a few bob..
    We normally just end up buying stuff for each other that we wanted to buy anyway - music cds & dvds..

I have about 6 birthdays to buy for too between Christmas and the 7th of January, so try not to over do it!

A lot of people I work with use their husband/boyfriends Christmas bonus' to go buy themselves jewellery or expensive shoes etc., before ever getting their presents. One woman got a wallet worth over €300 as part of her Christmas present last year - that's just cracked imo..

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote:
    my ears are burning :eek:
    you know she wanted ring so i bought her home an ould peice of copper ring and put it in a big box she wasnt happy that day:o
    ah i did buy her a few penny jellies there last week though you have to splash out now and again;)
    but you know i done such a great job on the car she dont want anything for xmas.but we did go for a spin in the car the other nite.it was great we pulled in to a quite spot just me and her ........................... and the gards
    How yis lads :(

perfect thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

We set a limit of €200 this year. I pretty much told him what I wanted (best to make it easier on him) but he has no idea what I got for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm spending €856.95. Getting the lassy everything on page 239 in the Argos catelogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

KTRIC wrote:

I'm hearing this too.............

I probably started it by saying I didn't want anything...really I don't, I have my quota of toys and gadgets and don't need anything atm.

So she says 'I don't want anything either'.....

Then she says 'but I have to get you something'....'what will I get ?'

It's actually causing a bit of friction between us :(

So here we are 1 week to Christmas -nothing got for 'herself'

I have a bad feeling about this.......:(

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I'm hearing this too.............

I probably started it by saying I didn't want anything...really I don't, I have my quota of toys and gadgets and don't need anything atm.

So she says 'I don't want anything either'.....

Then she says 'but I have to get you something'....'what will I get ?'

It's actually causing a bit of friction between us :(

So here we are 1 week to Christmas -nothing got for 'herself'

I have a bad feeling about this.......:(

I think perhaps this lady would like you to surprise her with how much you lurrv her and appreciate her and think of her.

Put it this way, it was my birthday yesterday, i felt like the most special and loved girl ever and he didn't have to spend much. I was surprised with little things during the day. Now it wasnt planned gifts by him, ideas just seemed to spring to his mind during the day. and it worked, it was well rewarded...tee hee.

So get her something thoughtful, special...has she been hinting about anything the last while, and you haven't been paying any notice to her.
    But whatever you do DO NOT NOT get her something...it'll be MORDOR!!!!!! for you...MORDOR!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just spent €1400 on myself. Being single is awesome :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Only with my current gf nearly 2 months - however, I have been close friends with her for many years (just were complications back then!). Spending a little less then €200 on various items. She doesnt know how much I am getting her, as I dont think she should feel that she has to match. :)

Some people wouldnt bother spending that much considering im only with her a short time, but thats love for ya I guess! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

pretty sweet considering you have only been with her a couple of months, but as you have known her for years it probably makes sense.
    good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Elessar wrote:
    Haha touché! :p

KTRIC wrote:
    My dad's cousin and girlfriend stayed with us one christmas years ago. He said they were saving up for a house, just had a baby and money was very tight. Both agreed to not buy each other a christmas present. Good plan?
    Not really. Christmas morning came, we all exchange gifts. She comes along and gives him a small present. It was a nice watch. She was saving a few pound here and there over the weeks to pay for it.
    The look on his face was priceless. As was hers when she got NOTHING.

No matter what the other half says. If they say they don't want a gift. Get them a gift, no matter how crap or cheap it is. It is the thought that matters, it is christmas after all.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote:
    I don't know.
    those hookers weren't that good. I've had better.

Did you ask for a partial refund?

nah. that would have been pushing it. Elessar paid.

Come on, have you never haggled with hooker? They all can be knocked down in price. Refunds and discounts for poor service are common.

Advertisement