Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sopranos

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

^^^ How much does it cost to get the complete series box set?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Riddle101 wrote: »
    ^^^ How much does it cost to get the complete series box set?

On Amazon the Blu-ray is about €140

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diaby2

I picked it up for €75 Christmas before last. Greatest show of all time bar none. It's got a mgic to it that is so hard to match. An unbelievable soundtrack as well, got into so much music from watching it.

Diaby2 wrote: »
    I picked it up for €75 Christmas before last. Greatest show of all time bar none. It's got a mgic to it that is so hard to match. An unbelievable soundtrack as well, got into so much music from watching it.

I know this gets thrown around all the time, but I would say it's debatable about whether it is the greatest show. Personally I think it's a tie between The Sopranos and The Wire for Greatest show of all time. Both are just fantastic, and so well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I know this gets thrown around all the time, but I would say it's debatable about whether it is the greatest show. Personally I think it's a tie between The Sopranos and The Wire for Greatest show of all time. Both are just fantastic, and so well written.

I am of the opinion that The Wire is the greatest ever TV show but it would never have been made or shown if the Sopranos hadnt been such a success. The Sopranos made people look at what could be achieved in a television show in a different way, and paved the way for everything else after it. Its a true classic. Few weak bits in season 6 but aside from that, The Sopranos is pretty much flawless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Diaby2

The Wire is a great show. The reason why i love the Soprano's is the wide range of characters that you get drawn into and their own stories. I think that's more prominent in the Soprano's than the Wire or Breaking Bad (both shows which i think are brilliant). I also think as good as the Wire is its more a social commentary while with the Soprano's you get more into an individual's characters and their personal issues which i find more interesting.

Both great shows though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The Wire is a great show. The reason why i love the Soprano's is the wide range of characters that you get drawn into and their own stories. I think that's more prominent in the Soprano's than the Wire or Breaking Bad (both shows which i think are brilliant). I also think as good as the Wire is its more a social commentary while with the Soprano's you get more into an individual's characters and their personal issues which i find more interesting.

Both great shows though.

I nearly have this box set of the Sopranos worn out :pac:

I do struggle with Breaking Bad though sort of got stuck midway Season 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that The Wire is the greatest ever TV show but it would never have been made or shown if the Sopranos hadnt been such a success. The Sopranos made people look at what could be achieved in a television show in a different way, and paved the way for everything else after it. Its a true classic. Few weak bits in season 6 but aside from that, The Sopranos is pretty much flawless.

I think the fifth season of The Wire is fairly poor. It's a fantastic show, but those final episodes (in particular the McNulty plot-line) left a bad taste in my mouth. The Sopranos has some weak moments, but its writers never slipped up in quite the same fashion as David Simon and co. It's a pointless comparison though, because they're two completely different shows. The dream sequences alone place The Sopranos in a whole other category. Not better, or worse. Just different.

I'm going to re-watch Breaking Bad soon to see if it was as good as I remember. The scary thing is that I remember it being the best show I've ever seen! And that's a huge admission from someone so in love with both of the above shows. Also, if True Detective maintains the same standards we could be looking at another powerhouse in the making.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Well in fairness, The Wire was a spin-off of The Corner, which was released in 2000. By all means I think it was because of the of The Corner that The Wire was made. Even then HBO was willing to take a chance on shows that were gritty and well written, like for instance the prison drama Oz, which came out in 97 and was a really good show because it gave us insight into a whole different world that people hadn't really seen before. Although Oz is very different to The Sopranos and The Wire of course, but my point is that HBO had been bringing out shows that gave you a look at the gritty underworld of things before The Sopranos came out.

But I will admit that The Sopranos had a bigger impact then both shows I mentioned before, so maybe it did contribute a little as well. But I think The Wire would still have been successful regardless.

Both great shows though.

But The Wire was no different though. The show also had a wide range of characters with some really great stories as well.

For instance the story that got me hooked on The Wire was Omar Little's. But as I continued to watch other character's stories also really got to me. Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale, The Sobotka Family, D'Angelo and Bodie's stories, Bubble's story, Michael, Randy, Dukie, Cutty. I could go on but i'll stop.

As for the social commentary. I think the social aspects of the show such a politics, education, the war on drugs really shed a good light on The Wire, and is a good reflection of society. At least in the US anyway.

But whatever, I still think both shows are tied for greatest show ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Can anyone recommend the best box set of The Sopranos with extras, commentary etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Can anyone recommend the best box set of The Sopranos with extras, commentary etc?

This is "decent" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DQUASQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Extras:
    • S1 Commentaries e1; interview Chase/Bogdanovich; behind the scenes
    • S2 - 2 featurettes
    • S3 Commentaries e9,11, &12; featurette "On the set"
    • S4 4x audio commentaries
    • S5 5x audio commentaries
    • S6 4 x audio comms
    • S6 Final - Making Cleaver; Music of Sopranos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

This is "decent" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DQUASQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Extras:
    • S1 Commentaries e1; interview Chase/Bogdanovich; behind the scenes
    • S2 - 2 featurettes
    • S3 Commentaries e9,11, &12; featurette "On the set"
    • S4 4x audio commentaries
    • S5 5x audio commentaries
    • S6 4 x audio comms
    • S6 Final - Making Cleaver; Music of Sopranos

Any box sets with commentary on the S6 final?

Advertisement