Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Station at Claremorris?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

According to the daily data there is now an 'old' Claremorris station (of which data is still being used in daily summary on the yesterday's weather page,), while a 'Claremorris (A) (obviously in a different location) has been reporting since the 15th August.

Old Claremorris reports yesterday:
    171720.JPG

Claremorris (A) reports yesterday:

171721.JPG

The (A) station seems to be reporting slightly cooler temperatures so far and the data from this station is being used in the Ogimet reports. There was also a difference of 0.3mm of rain between the 2 stations yesterday as well, so they must be a fair bit apart.

Would be interesting to find out where the newer station (if that's what it actually is) is located.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

wonder how much of a distance is between both of them ?

quiet a difference in readings alright !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

0.3mm difference in rain seems quite significant, as does the grass min temp.

Could this affect the IMT? Which data is going to be used?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

According to the daily data there is now an 'old' Claremorris station (of which data is still being used in daily summary on the yesterday's weather page,), while a 'Claremorris (A) (obviously in a different location) has been reporting since the 15th August.

Old Claremorris reports yesterday:
    171720.JPG

Claremorris (A) reports yesterday:

171721.JPG

The (A) station seems to be reporting slightly cooler temperatures so far and the data from this station is being used in the Ogimet reports. There was also a difference of 0.3mm of rain between the 2 stations yesterday as well, so they must be a fair bit apart.

Would be interesting to find out where the newer station (if that's what it actually is) is located.

I checked and according to Met Eireann

'The new Claremorris Tucson station is on the same site as the old station. At the moment, they are both running in parallel, however we will shortly cease updating the current weather from the old station, and it will remain for historical purposes only.'

They also suggest that the differences in some of the values might be attributed to the change of instrumentation, but to bear in mind that even identical instruments at the same site will tend to give differing readings, due to normal variation.

The differences in rainfall between the two stations does appear to be odd, with differences ranging between 0.1mm and 0.5mm from the 19/08 to the 21/08, the new Claremorris (A) consistently recording higher amounts

So there you go DE :)

Ox!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

(A) denotes automatic readings as opposed to the manual readings of the "old" instruments.

muckish wrote: »
    (A) denotes automatic readings as opposed to the manual readings of the "old" instruments.

Yes, Claremorris (A) refers to the new automatic TUCSON station which is currently operating in parallel with the old station Claremorris (old) on the same site but the difference between the two in terms of rainfall recorded is still noteworthy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Rainfall on 23rd Claremorris
    Old 7.7mm
    (A) 6.8mm

I'm assuming that there is still calibration to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fionagus wrote: »
    I checked and according to Met Eireann

...bear in mind that even identical instruments at the same site will tend to give differing readings, due to normal variation.

Thanks a million Fi. There was a difference of 0.9mm of rain between the 2 stations in the one location yesterday, which MM above has pointed out as well. I doubt you would even get that much of a difference between readings if you had 2 cheapo, 2nd rate weather stations side by side.

Mothman wrote: »
    I'm assuming that there is still calibration to be done.
    I doubt you would even get that much of a difference between readings if you had 2 cheapo, 2nd rate weather stations side by side.

Which then begs the question, which of the data sets is the more accurate?

Once the data from Claremorris (old) ceases, going by the current readings Claremorris (A) will, over time, show a trend towards cooler temps and higher rainfall.

Moreover, are there other instances of this type of anomaly that have gone unnoticed ? Mullingar was also replaced by one of these new TUCSON stations relatively recently as far as I know.

CLAREMORRIS (A) 25/8/2011 14.3 mm

CLAREMORRIS (old) 25/8/2011 13.2 mm

Ongoing & significant differences in rainfall recorded at CLAREMORRIS

Advertisement