Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cavities filled just 6 weeks after HSE orthodontic review

Options
  • 03-11-2018 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭

I'd welcome views on this situation from people who know more than me!

My 14 year old had a review assessment with HSE Orthodontic consultant about 6 weeks ago. I had a brief but helpful chat with the HSE consultant about options after a visual assessment. The emphasis of the discussion was on avoiding expensive treatments. The consultant noted that the child's hygiene was excellent.

This week, my missus took the child to the local, private clinic, who found and filled two cavities on the spot, after taking xrays.

I don't know much about these things, but it seems unusual that the HSE person wouldn't have noticed and mentioned the cavities in passing. I know the HSE wouldn't be involved in filling them at that age, but I'd have thought that they would/should have at least flagged them up.

Is there something strange about this? Could the cavities have developed to a visible stage over that six week period? Should the HSE consultant have noticed the cavities without xrays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

HSE orthodontists are really advising on orthodontic need. They will tell.you if they see obvious decay but not take specific xrays or test to look for decay.
    It is likely they showed up with the xrays combined with the clinical exam.
    Fillings are done so I suggest you move on, if you were concerned you needed to get a 2nd opiniin prior to the filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the update.
    work wrote: »
    HSE orthodontists are really advising on orthodontic need. They will tell.you if they see obvious decay but not take specific xrays or test to look for decay.
    I suppose this is the key question - what are the chances that cavities that needed filling last week have been 'obvious decay' six weeks ago?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

It's not an orthodontists' job to diagnose or treat decay.
    Their focus is on crooked teeth, & jaw & bite discrepancies,& how to correct these. So when or how long the decay was there is irrelevant- it's not their job. It's like taking your car to a panel beaters& wanting them to look under the bonnet/do an engine service.
    This is why all orthodontic patients need to see their regular general dentist before& throughout orthodontic treatment....to check for decay, gum disease, screen for oral cancer, ect.

Xrays (I'm guessing "bitewings") are specifically to detect decay between teeth that contact each other; ie- areas not visible to the naked eye. Unless someone is flossing daily, these areas are prone to decay, because toothbrushing only cleans 3 out of the 5 sides (Or 60%) of the tooth surface

Advertisement