Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Dental council exam

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Please guide me about the Registration exam for foreign trained dentists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Taken from http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/exam-details.php

Examination Details:

EXAMINATION FOR DENTISTS APPLYING FOR FULL REGISTRATION IN THE REGISTER OF DENTISTS UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 27 (2) (D) OF THE DENTISTS ACT 1985

1. Section 27 (2) of the Dentists Act 1985 provides for the admission to full registration in the Register of Dentists of any person who satisfies the Council that he/she has undergone such courses of training and passed such examinations as are specified in rules made by the Council. This provision is in addition to the provisions made in the Act for the admission to full registration of persons holding primary qualifications awarded by the licensing authorities in Ireland and of persons, being nationals of EEA member states, who have graduated within the EEA with a scheduled dental degree/diploma.

2. Council has decided that persons seeking registration under the provisions of Section 27 (2) (d) of the Act should normally be required to present for and pass a special examination.

3. This examination will be a Council examination conducted by the universities on its behalf and administered by an Examination Board appointed by the Council on which both dental schools and the Council will be represented.

4. An applicant for registration under the provisions of Section27 (2) (d) of the Act should, in the first instance, submit to Council a transcript of his/her training and qualifications for assessment. Any person who, as a result of this assessment, has been deemed to have followed an acceptable course of study and has indicated to the Council his/her competency to communicate in the English language will normally be permitted to present for the examination. An acceptable course of study in this context would be equivalent to that laid down in the Dental Directives viz. at least a five year full-time course of theoretical and practical instruction given in a university or similar educational institution, with training to provide the dentist with the skills necessary for carrying out all activities involving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of anomalies and diseases of the teeth, jaws and associated tissues.

5. The examination will be held in two parts
    1. Part 1 will include an examination in:
    1. The application of the basic sciences to dentistry incorporating written papers in the following subjects:
    1. General and oral anatomy
    2. Physiology and biochemistry
    3. Pharmacology, Pathology and Microbiology
    2. a practical examination in operative techniques in the clinical subjects e.g. a class 2 cavity and restoration, a class 4 cavity and restoration, or a crown preparation.
    3. The clinical assessment of a patient.
    2. Part 11 will include a theoretical examination to test the candidates knowledge of the subjects necessary for the practice of dentistry including general medicine/general surgery, restorative dentistry (conservative dentistry, prosthetics and periodontology), preventive dentistry, paediatric dentistry, therapeutics, anaesthesiology, radiology, law and ethics and an examination in the clinical aspects of these subjects. The examinations will be searching and test, to a standard not less than that required of an Irish graduate, the knowledge and skill required for the delivery of primary dental care to patients.

6. Examinations will be held at times appointed by Council following consultation with the universities. Not more than one examination for each part will be held each year.

7. Candidates will be allowed a maximum of two opportunities in which to pass Part 1 of the examination and a maximum of three in respect of Part 11 of the examination. Candidates must have credit for Part 1 of the examination before proceeding to Part 11.

8. Council and the universities will ensure that all legal requirements for the holding of the examinations are met and that adequate insurance cover is provided.

9. The examination fee payable by candidates will be fixed by Council with the approval of the Minister for Health and Children. The fee, at present, for entry to the examination is €1,500. A non-refundable deposit of €250 must be submitted with the application form and the balance of €1,250 must be paid before 1 March. In the event of a candidate having to repeat a part of the examination an additional fee of €750.00 will be payable.

10. Applications for entry to the examination must be submitted between the 1 September and the 30 November. Only candidates who have submitted completed applications and paid the non-refundable deposit by the closing date will be considered for acceptance to sit the examinations. Applicants must submit
    1. Fully completed application form
    2. Non-refundable deposit of €250
    3. Two passport sized photographs with the candidates name and signature on the reverse
    4. Certified copy of diploma / degrees, and a certified translated copy if not in English
    5. Certified copy of academic transcripts, and a certified translated copy if not in English
    6. Evidence of having being engaged in the lawful practice of dentistry for a period of three consecutive years in the previous five years
    7. Original Certificate of Good Standing (and a certified translated copy if not in English) from registration board in the jurisdiction the applicant last practiced dentistry
    8. One of the following, to have been completed within the two years previous to receipt of the completed application, as evidence of proficiency in the English Language
    i. IELTS (Overall Band Score): 7 or higher
    ii. TOFEL (paper based): 600 or higher
    iii. TOFEL (Internet based or iBT): 100 or higher
    iv. TOFEL (Computer based or CBT): 250 or higher

11. Candidates who have previously sat the examinations and who are required to repeat either Part I or Part II must apply in writing to the Council before 30 November if they wish to be considered for acceptance to the examination.

12. Candidates should note that success in the examination confers entitlement to registration in the Register of Dentists for Ireland. There is no ongoing entitlement to registration in the United Kingdom or any other EEA Member State.

13. Candidates are strongly advised to establish from the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment that they would be entitled to a work permit to practise dentistry in Ireland if admitted to registration in the Register of Dentists.

14. The Council reserves the right to put a limitation on the number of candidates admitted to the examination in any year.

Revised 1 September 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dm2010

and what about the books required to pass the exam:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dude ask the dental council (:rolleyes: symbol is scarcasm and is a bit rude TBH seeing as I was the only one to answer your post) , your text books from Dental School will have all the information required. If you read the post above you can see the topics covered, basic sciences and anatomy and restorative dentistry. There is no syllabus or text books recommended, you are expected to have the knowledge and skills of an Irish dentist who has just graduated. Ask the dental council for further information and past papers, nobody on hear is a member of that council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dm2010

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4 putane

hi, can anyone give me past papers to study for dental registration exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 putane

hi again
    can anyone let me know where can i take up TOFEL OR IELTS exams which is required to register in dental registration exam.all details pls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Putane not to put to fine a point on it, as the exams you are asking about are to register here in Ireland, have you considered asking the Irish Dental Council for past papers?, this is a public discussion forum, all the Irish dentists posting here automatically qualify for registration as a result of passing our University final exams, read Fitzgeme's post and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The dentist

Hi Dear,

After being searching all the forums for weeks, I could finally this one on boards.ie . I was looking for someone who could help me regarding the Irish dental exam for non-EU dentists. I would like to take the exam and I was trying to contact Irish dental council to get some information, but they were not really helpful and responsive. I would highly appreciate if you could answer below questions :
    1)     As one the requirements I need to have 3 continues years of practical experience in the past 5 years in which I have that, but there is a gap of 11 months in between where I was preparing myself for the board exam in Japan. It took me a year in order to complete the board exam, do you think this gap will stop me of doing the am in Ireland?
    2)     Have you done the exam and how it looks like in term of the difficulties ? any recommendations for preparation?
    3)     Any study materials or books you can suggest me to obtain in order to get prepared for the exam
    4)     Can I practice as dentist in Ireland (with temporary registration) while I get prepared for the exam as it will take me almost a year to be out of practice.
    5)     Can I work as dental nurse while I am preparing myself for the exam?
    Please kindly respond to my questions as I am frustrated after being sending 10 emails to the Irish dental council and no one had replied.
    Your kindness is highly appreciated
    Maggei

Advertisement