Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

macOS 10.14 Mojave

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hope you don't mind Black Oil but I split this into a separate thread. I meant to start one after the keynote.

Mojave drops support for quite a lot of Macs unfortunately. Real slap in the face to Mac users, especially given the efforts Apple made to ensure iOS 12 supported all the same devices as iOS 11.

I haven't installed it myself, but here's the list of Macs supported by the developer beta:

MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
    Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
    iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
    iMac Pro (2017)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

All the following are no longer supported: MacBook (Late 2009), MacBook (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Early 2011), MacBook Pro (Late 2011), iMac (Late 2009), iMac (Mid 2010), iMac (Mid 2011), Mac mini (Mid 2010), or Mac mini (Mid 2011).

End of the road for my 2011 MacBook Air. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's a pity alright. I'll stay away from the beta, tbh.

If your Air your main machine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's a pity alright. I'll stay away from the beta, tbh.

If your Air your main machine?

Kinda, yeah. I use it a desktop hooked up to a display, so it's always on. Because of the screen I still use it a lot. But I have a second-gen 12-inch MacBook as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any more news about Mojave, even on the mildly exciting front?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hope you don't mind Black Oil but I split this into a separate thread. I meant to start one after the keynote.

Mojave drops support for quite a lot of Macs unfortunately. Real slap in the face to Mac users, especially given the efforts Apple made to ensure iOS 12 supported all the same devices as iOS 11.

I haven't installed it myself, but here's the list of Macs supported by the developer beta:

MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
    Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
    iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
    iMac Pro (2017)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

All the following are no longer supported: MacBook (Late 2009), MacBook (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Early 2011), MacBook Pro (Late 2011), iMac (Late 2009), iMac (Mid 2010), iMac (Mid 2011), Mac mini (Mid 2010), or Mac mini (Mid 2011).

End of the road for my 2011 MacBook Air. :(

It seems that some of the people over on MacRumors have had success in getting Mojave running on pre-2012 MacBooks with Nvidia and Intel graphics. So I wouldn't give up yet! ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, though what i know of previous such efforts is that you can expect a lot of bugs and hassle updating, etc. But I'm going to keep on eye on it.

I'm hoping Apple will release a new Mini in the next year without increasing the price by €300, neither of which is likely.

Have this running on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro very nicely indeed. Few cool new additions since High Sierra - dynamic desktop brightness (night mode) and the dark skin/menus are particularly cool.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Have this running on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro very nicely indeed. Few cool new additions since High Sierra - dynamic desktop brightness (night mode) and the dark skin/menus are particularly cool.

Any (non-beta related) issues running it on a non-supported machine?

Any (non-beta related) issues running it on a non-supported machine?

Only one I've seen so far is that the light mode theme doesn't render properly - screenshot attached. According to MacRumours its due to the graphics chip being pre-Metal. Doesnt affect graphics acceleration at all though.

Looks absolutely fine in dark theme, and runs perfectly. For a fairly early beta release its very stable on this machine so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Installed it today. Told myself after last year that I'd stay away from betas until nearer the release date, but I don't learn.
    Only issue I had was with internet not working, uninstalled my VPN and Little Snitch and that solved it.
    Nothing else to report as of now, running quite smoothly and the dark mode and dynamic desktops both look quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Honestly, they would want to dedicate a stronger team to Mac OS. It is becoming the biggest POS since 7.5, and that is saying something. I've had to restart a brand new MBP in 6 months more often than I did my 6 year old MBA. I'm so sorry I bought it. Next time I'll have to figure out how to break free of the OS and look at a surface or something.

Official release date for 10.14 is tomorrow, I believe. Probably best to wait until 14.1 or 14.2 to arrive before upgrading though!

Out now, though you might have to do a search for "macos" in the App Store to find it as it's not showing up in Updates for everyone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A lots been made about Dark Mode but after having it on for the past half hour or so since I updated, I've gone back to the light mode which I think I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Out now, though you might have to do a search for "macos" in the App Store to find it as it's not showing up in Updates for everyone yet.

yep..not seen as update so found it and downloaded

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I like dark mode so far. Other than that not a huge amount to get excited about, except maybe the Mac App Store redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I would prefer if the Finder could still be displayed with the black text on white background while in Dark Mode. Find it quite hard to use currently in this new mode.

New Mac App Store is so much faster! It should also be noted that OS updates have been moved to System Preferences.

New App Store is definitely nice. Got it running on my 2010 MacBook Pro as a dual boot with Sierra, so it'll be good to see it develop.

Can't see I use the App Store store much at all, tbh.

10.14 installed fine for me. I don't wait for the .1 as I've not had issues with past new versions of Mac OS. Dark Mode - giving it a go, not sure about how it looks with Finder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Wow, bit annoying... Bootcamp is not able to be used with Mojave on certain iMacs with 3tb fusion drives. Including my late 2013 27":mad:

Have gotten used to dark mode now and barely notice it.

Have gotten used to dark mode now and barely notice it.

I like it. Always used darker themes in Linux distros so its all good with me. Can see why longtime Mac users don't like it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Didn’t like full Dark Mode so tried the following and much prefer it. Call it a hybrid Dark Mode if you will...

http://osxdaily.com/2018/10/15/dark-menu-dock-light-theme-macos/

10.14.2 is now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

10.14.2 is now available.

Doesn't seem to be downloading for me. Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Narcissus wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be downloading for me. Anyone else having issues?

Yep. Downloads and then says it didn't download and says it'll try again later. Sends you into one of those infernal eternal loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

10.14.4 is out, but I am getting "A server with the Specified Hostname cannot be found" error

Anyone know why ? or whats the fix ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

10.14.4 is out, but I am getting "A server with the Specified Hostname cannot be found" error

Anyone know why ? or whats the fix ?

Mine downloaded ok but as has been the norm with all Mojave updates, nothing shows up in software updates so I have to get it direct from the App Store.

Advertisement