Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-06-2017, 13:39   #1
Johnboy1951

PCLinuxOS releases a new ISO

PCLinuxOS does not often release new ISOs because it is essentially a 'rolling release' so if you have it installed it is a rare occasion when you might need to reinstall.
Even then most users take a 'snapshot' of their running install and save it as an ISO (using mylivecd utility) so it can be used for installation on any hardware in the future. Those installations will then be as up to date as the snapshot.

Anyway there is a June 2017 release of PCLinuxOS featuring KDE Plasma 5 .... notice here ...
http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

Items of note .....
there is no systemd
sudo is not used by default
it is not 'secure boot' compatible (Secure Boot must be off) but is UEFI/GPT compatible.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2017, 16:40   #2
PropJoe10

Been using PCLinuxOS on my travelling laptop with the MATE desktop for a few months now and love it. Really solid, current software with the rolling release model and reliable/stable. Nice package management system too. Great distro. One of the best I've tried out. Community seems helpful and tight-knit too.
30-10-2017, 20:46   #3
Johnboy1951

Yeah, community is very tight and almost always helpful.

Only time i have noticed anything 'unhelpful' is when a post comes across as complaining, demanding or disparaging.
Some apparently do not appreciate they are receiving a full OS without payment or any other input. Very few, thankfully.

Glad to know it has suited you
Thanks from:
31-10-2017, 19:43   #4
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
Yeah, community is very tight and almost always helpful.

Only time i have noticed anything 'unhelpful' is when a post comes across as complaining, demanding or disparaging.
Some apparently do not appreciate they are receiving a full OS without payment or any other input. Very few, thankfully.

Glad to know it has suited you
Yeah I've noticed that! Have only had one issue that I've needed to visit the forums about (related to Steam) but it seems that for every dodgy thread, theres 50 helpful ones. Which is all good.

It's the best distro I've used in a while. Works incredibly well on this old laptop, and will keep it going for a few years yet, hopefully!
08-06-2019, 20:03   #5
PropJoe10

Have used a lot of distros over the last few years and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. PCLinuxOS with the MATE desktop is just really great and easy to use. Nice package management system and a solid choice of software, and it runs really well on my old Lenovo Thinkpad. Love this distro!
Advertisement
08-06-2019, 20:09   #6
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe10 View Post
Have used a lot of distros over the last few years and for some reason I keep coming back to this one. PCLinuxOS with the MATE desktop is just really great and easy to use. Nice package management system and a solid choice of software, and it runs really well on my old Lenovo Thinkpad. Love this distro!
I've been using nothing else for some years now.
Try a few when there are releases but nothing that has caused me to change my main distro.

Long may it last
Thanks from:
09-06-2019, 17:29   #7
rayzercork

might give it a spin later. had tried it a few years back when it had more desktops and wasnt as well known.
09-06-2019, 18:38   #8
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzercork View Post
might give it a spin later. had tried it a few years back when it had more desktops and wasnt as well known.
At the moment there are recent (within 6 months) ISOs for
KDE
Mate
LXQT
TDE
There used to be Xfce but it seems to have fallen a little out of favour although quite a few still use it.

I hope you have a good experience with it.
09-06-2019, 20:05   #9
rayzercork

playing with the mate edition right now, its decent but really slow unless you disable marco compositor. might take mint cinnamon off my backup usb and put this on instead. feels like a fully loaded debian with a more recent kernel, so far so good
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 12:56   #10
Worztron

I recall reading a while back that the lead dev, Bill Reynolds aka 'Texstar'; was not well - cancer. I've not heard much since so presume he's thankfully doing better.
10-06-2019, 13:17   #11
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worztron View Post
I recall reading a while back that the lead dev, Bill Reynolds aka 'Texstar'; was not well - cancer. I've not heard much since so presume he's thankfully doing better.
Seems to be ....... this is his second bout apparently ....... other than that I can only say there are daily updates so a lot of work is being done.
11-06-2019, 17:34   #12
mcmoustache

This used to be my daily driver until around 9 or 10 years ago. I don't remember why, but I switched to ubuntu gnome and remained with it until unity and have used kubuntu since.

I might give it another spin to see how what I might be missing.
16-06-2019, 16:21   #13
rayzercork

having given it a few test runs ive decided to use it as my backup distro instead of mint, feels much easier to use than it was when i tried it years ago. mate needs a few tweaks in the compositor mostly disabling the animations and it runs smoother
Thanks from:
19-06-2019, 12:17   #14
Johnboy1951

A new batch of ISOs have been released this month from PCLinuxOS, for those who require a new install.
The rest of us just continue to update from the repository as it is a 'rolling' release.

The main releases are
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/dis...live-cd/64bit/
KDE Darkstar ....... a basic KDE release with very few packages, relying on the user to install what they need.
KDE5 .................. the full version with lots of packages for most users needs.
Mate .................. a full Mate DE version

A community edition TDE release is also available this month.

Community releases can be found here and include TDE, LXDE, LXQT and Xfce
https://pclosusers.com/communityiso/

Torrent links are also posted in the forum in the announcement threads usually.

Window managers, if required, can be added from the repository to any of the releases.

Should be something for everyone.
(2) thanks from:
19-06-2019, 19:39   #15
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
Seems to be ....... this is his second bout apparently ....... other than that I can only say there are daily updates so a lot of work is being done.
Yeah, getting daily updates here lately which is great. Distribution seems very well maintained anyway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion