Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infra red filter remove from Canon 6D

Options
  • 13-10-2020 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello Guys,

Could you please recommend someone who might help with infra red filter remove from 6D in Dublin? I have contacted 6 biggest camera services in city and nobody can help on it.

Cheers,
    Raf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

YouTube!

There's a place in the UK that modifies: https://www.cheapastrophotography.com/Customer-Modification-Service.html

But the 6d costs more. They also sell modified cameras. Some camera's are supposed to be harder to modify than others so you would probably be better off buying either a dedicated astro camera or one that is affordably modifiable.

Have not used that site and there may be others that are more reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 raf2020

Thanks for your respond,

If this would be 600D or 60D probably I would try to do it on my own as per youtube instruction. I just bought it from UK so I don't rly look to send it back there and pay 1/3 of camera price for modification and delivery ;/

Seriously nobody in Ireland doing it?

Regards

raf2020 wrote: »
    Thanks for your respond,

If this would be 600D or 60D probably I would try to do it on my own as per youtube instruction. I just bought it from UK so I don't rly look to send it back there and pay 1/3 of camera price for modification and delivery ;/

Seriously nobody in Ireland doing it?

Regards

I'd be waiting until the warranty is up before doing it either way, if you just purchased then it could be faulty and you would not know. Modifying it voids the warranty.

Yes, this is good point. I want to test it a bit before modification to see the difference and how in general it will work with my scope. Hopefully I will be able to find someone in Dublin who has experience with this kind of modifications.

Cheers

Yes, this is good point. I want to test it a bit before modification to see the difference and how in general it will work with my scope. Hopefully I will be able to find someone in Dublin who has experience with this kind of modifications.

Cheers

Get what you can out of it first before modifying it. You will learn a lot from using it unmodified if eventually you do get it modified you already have your setup tuned to a point where you are comfortable.

• Advertisement

I think you are right. What about light pollution filter? Should I buy it straight away or first do some tests without? I have occasion to buy Astronomik EOS XL Clip-Filter CLS in mint condition for 60% of price.

Thanks for advises

I think you are right. What about light pollution filter? Should I buy it straight away or first do some tests without? I have occasion to buy Astronomik EOS XL Clip-Filter CLS in mint condition for 60% of price.

Thanks for advises

LPF's are decent enough. Optolong L-Extreme is one I'll be looking to get but it does not come in a clip in version. Optolong L-Pro and L-Enhanced will give better results I believe. L-Pro EOS-FF would be for full frame. The Astronomik I think will only get rid of glare of light pollution what you see in the sky will only apply to the filter. Those 3 Optolong filters Would be slightly better.

ak_cls_transmission_chart.png

yellow lines light pollution
    opt_l-pro_transmission_chart.png

link: L-Pro

opt_l-enhance_transmission.png

link: L-Ehanced

opt_l-extreme_transmission_chart.png

link: L-Extreme

Also depends on what you want to capture. For wide angle and dark enough sky (Bortle 4 or below) the CLS will be good but it does not allow other wavelengths of light as with the l-pro etc. For emission Nebula in Bortle 9 Optolong would be better. There is also many other LPF's available best researching them properly before committing. I would go with an L-Pro over the CLS myself. Bear in mind a non modded camera will start to drop off in the red wavelengths as mentioned in the above video but you can increase the red channel to a degree in post processing, not going to be a good as modded version but would be good enough until you decide to upgrade. Comparison shown of l-pro and l-enhanced here.

Thanks mate for advice again. I think I will go with pro as there is ff clip in version.

Advertisement