Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you make a good mug of tae?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

If you have a few people having tea, a pot is fine. But if it’s just you, it’s like running a bath just to wash your hands.

What you need are pots of various sizes . A little tea for two job.

If you're making good tea, you're not having just one cup. That extra little top up at the end is essential if we're after the "perfect" cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cup of tae
    A decent cup of tea has to be made in a teapot.

1. Boil kettle
    2. Pour a small bit of boiling water into the teapot and empty via the spout to heat
    3. Put in 2 Lyons teabags
    4. Fill the teapot with scaldy boiling water (it should be spitting hot)
    5. Pour out a small bit of the tea into the sink (tradition)
    6. Close teapot quickly and put on teapot stand
    7. Get tea cosy on the teapot in less than 10 seconds
    8. Leave to stand for 3 minutes
    9. The 2nd cup from that teapot is the best
    10. Enjoy tea with brown bread and butter/marmalade or butter/jam.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cup of tae
    Lyon's gold blend is my brand - it just tastes better than the other big ones.

A decent sized mug/cup is crucial. Nothing worse than tea from a pathetic cup.

Bag first, then the water - the water that goes in has to be steaming hot.

Leave it for about 3-4 minutes and take out the bag: I really do not understand people who take the bag out after only a few seconds. You want to be drinking tea, not just tea flavoured water. There are few sights worse in life than someone leaving a bag in the water for about 20 seconds before brusquely flaking it out, but not before crushing it frantically with all their might against the side of the mug with a teaspoon. These people are fcked in the head and aren't doing one the most basic activities in Irish life right; you gotta let it brew a bit.

Add a middling amount of milk. Not too much, not too little. It's a judgment thing and each cup is different and unique. Some need just that bit more, some a little less. Not a fan of milky tea, at all. Alongside their aforementioned sins most of the previously referred to no-time-to-wait teabag brutalisers are also - to add insult to injury - proponents of the "absolutely drown it in milk school". Like I have said, these people are fcked in the head; they don't like tea really. Maybe they are actually like pod people and don't know what they are doing and are just going through the motions of preparing a cup of tea so that their disguises aren't seen through.

No sugar. Tea doesn't need sugar. Biscuits are an essential accompaniment, of course.

Tea does taste better brewed in a pot - there's no dispute there - but I'd never brew it in a pot if I was just having a cup by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

First up, you need proper well water, none of that townie water, and loose leaf tea, heat the pot for a few minutes , empty it, add tea and freshly boiled water, leave to Brew for at least 5 minutes, stir and pour. If you have a teapot that doesn't dribble at the spout it's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cup of tae
    Ring for service. Ask Jeeves to make you a nice pot of tea. Relax. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Cuppa
    gozunda wrote: »
    Ring for service. Ask Jeeves to make you a nice pot of tea. Relax. :pac:

I asked 'Alexa' a couple of weeks ago.....still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Cup of tae
    I used to live with a boy who put the milk in along with the teabag first - then added the hot water. I think he's in jail now, for... Nah, he's not in jail - he was a grand lad. But I never looked at him in the same way ever again. I couldn't trust him. "Never trust a man who puts hot water into cold milk', my old man used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Cup of tae
    If you're making good tea, you're not having just one cup.

“Sure you know I never take a second cup.”

S.B. O'Donnell
    Philadelphia, Here I Come!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Mug of tea
    I used to work in an office in England. The Brits (experts in the field) love a brown tae with a tiny bit of Milk but the Irish love a milky tae.

From close inspection the Brits tend to put the teabag into the cup. Pour boiling water and let it sit for anything upto 4 minutes. No more. A gentle stir of no more than 3 twirls is followed by removing the teabag and dropping the equivalent of 3-4 small teaspoons of semi-skinned or fully skimmed (gay) milk.

The result, a disgustingly warm brown tea that is only ingestible after 20 minutes, after it cools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Cup a Rosie

• Advertisement

Cup of tae
    jmlad2020 wrote: »
    I used to work in an office in England. The Brits (experts in the field) love a brown tae with a tiny bit of Milk but the Irish love a milky tae.

From close inspection the Brits tend to put the teabag into the cup. Pour boiling water and let it sit for anything upto 4 minutes. No more. A gentle stir of no more than 3 twirls is followed by removing the teabag and dropping the equivalent of 3-4 small teaspoons of semi-skinned or fully skimmed (gay) milk.

The result, a disgustingly warm brown tea that is only ingestible after 20 minutes, after it cools.

That's nuts; I'm no Britman but that's exactly how I both make and like my tea. Only difference is after the three twirls of the tea-bag I squeeze it to death against the side of the cup to extract every last molecule of caffeine that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Cup of scald
    1. boil water in kettle
    2. wait a minute or 2
    3. scald cup/teapot
    4. fill cup/teapot with water
    5. shake teabag(s) into full shape
    6. flip teabag(s) upwards and into the cup/teapot (to agitate the tea leaves)
    7. repeat point 6 until teabag(s) lands in hot water - points scoring system optional, bonus points if you get it in in one flip
    8. leave it alone for 2-3 minutes in cup, 4-5 in teapot
    9a. if in cup, do not stir - catch teabag with spoon to side of cup and squeeze and remove from cup in one movement
    9b. if in teapot, leave teabags in teapot and swirl the teapot a few times before pouring.
    10. Add a good bit of milk for me, a small bit of milk for wife
    11. Sit and sup, digestive or other plain biscuit optional

(for tea with meals, replace cup with mug.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Cup of scald
    my mothers version of "tea" is a disgrace - she dips the corner of a teabag in hot water or alternatively takes a spoonful of tea from my dads cup and adds it to her hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

You need to scald the mug with a drop of boiling water first before you attempt to make your tea .
    Feckin' Philistine.

And a good few minutes before you even think about adding milk.

And how to judge the perfect amount of milk:

As Frank Skinner states: "Brown Envelope" - thats the colour you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Cup of tae
    ablelocks wrote: »
    my mothers version of "tea" is a disgrace - she dips the corner of a teabag in hot water or alternatively takes a spoonful of tea from my dads cup and adds it to her hot water

Sounds like homeopathic tea.

Anyone making tea directly in a mug is a mug.

Tea should be made in a pot. No exceptions.

Except all the times you want a cup of tea and don't have a teapot.

Tea can be made fine in a mug - its snobbery to suggest otherwise.

Sounds like homeopathic tea.

I read that as homophobic first time.. I was very confused..!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Splash of milk in the cup first, drop in the teabag. Let that sit for a minute then follow up with water slightly off the boil. Stir that hot mess until you get a palid milky yellow liquid. Remove the bag. 8 sugars to taste.

pouring in the milk in first is an abomination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Agreed.

But it makes for a lovely cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Mad_maxx wrote: »

That came about because in the 19th century Chinese porcelain (known as China) was able to resist heat while British porcelain tended to crack. So, it became “posh” to put the milk in first. In reality, it just meant you weren’t able to afford good quality China & were making excuses worthy of a brexiteer trying to make themselves believe that Yorkshire champagne is superior to Champagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Cup of tae
    Huge catering teapot. 10 teabags. Leave on gas stove for 3 hours it should just be ready. Serve with 6 sugars and half milk. Ah when I used to be on the sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

by not making it in a cup / mug 😠teapot all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Mug of tae
    Barry's Classic Blend. Loose leaf tea. Made in a teapot. Drank from a mug, black, no sugar. Tea bags have a vile common aftertaste regardless of brand. Water must be actually boiling. Burco boiler water rarely hot enough, resulting in disgusting tea also.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Cuppa
    Cup a Rosie

A whole lotta...

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    No more. A gentle stir of no more than 3 twirls is followed by removing the teabag and dropping the equivalent of 3-4 small teaspoons of semi-skinned or fully skimmed (gay) milk.

I don't think it's possible to have gay milk? Does milk have sexuality?

Allinall wrote: »
    Agreed.

But it makes for a lovely cup of tea.

BS. Tea needs to be brewed in hottest water possible. What's the point in boiling the kettle at all if you are about to cool the water right away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

ablelocks wrote: »
    My mothers version is awful as well :D by the time the process is finished the tea's gone cold. She'll half fill the cup, then add the teabag, stir, pour in more hot water, stir, remove spoonful's, stir, adds more water, removes more spoonful's and then adds milk

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

The perfect cup

Punjana tea leaves
    Boil kettle, pour a little bit into teapot and pour out again
    1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons into a tea pot
    Add water from kettle
    Reboil on hob (hob on high setting).

When boiled remove from hob, to a stand and cover with tea cosy.

Get mug, milk etc

Pour tea from teapot into mug, and add enough milk to make to tea the perfect shade of light brown.

Drink

Then top up with whats left in the pot

My normal tea
    Teabag in cup
    Add boiling water (Not reboiled water though..)
    Stir teabag, squeeze tea bag on edge of cup
    Remove tea bag

Add milk

Drink about half the tea and then set it down and forget about it, before picking it up again and drinking it almost old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Cup of tae
    One Lyons teabag
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    Boiling water
    Stir around
    Drop of milk
    Stir again and take out teabag.

That’s the perfect cup. :)

Advertisement