Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was thinking of Sancho alternatives and a bizarre set of options and conclusions were arrived at

What if:

United signed back Memphis and Zaha.

Memphis is creative, can play wide or in the middle. Zaha is well used to the Premier League and primed to step up a level if playing with people like Bruno.

I think I need sleep but I really would like Memphis at OT and do genuinely think Zaha could at least be a Nani type player. Clubs like Real, Barca and Bayern have not been afraid to re-sign players in the past. United have done it with Pogba and also guys like Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Glazers out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

DM_7 wrote: »
    What if:

With Chelsea treating this transfer window like it's Fifa Ultimate Team and City potentially signing Messi, I would projectile vomit if are response to that is to sign ex players who couldn't make it when they had the chance. Go to bed mate :P

Was thinking of Sancho alternatives and a bizarre set of options and conclusions were arrived at

What if:

Memphis is creative, can play wide or in the middle. Zaha is well used to the Premier League and primed to step up a level if playing with people like Bruno.

I think I need sleep but I really would like Memphis at OT and do genuinely think Zaha could at least be a Nani type player. Clubs like Real, Barca and Bayern have not been afraid to re-sign players in the past. United have done it with Pogba and also guys like Hughes.

I didn't think either of them played much game time on the right though.

Plus with AWB being so poor going forward and poor on his left foot we probably really need a left footer

With Chelsea treating this transfer window like it's Fifa Ultimate Team and City potentially signing Messi, I would projectile vomit if are response to that is to sign ex players who couldn't make it when they had the chance. Go to bed mate :P

I understand the point about bringing players back.

I just don't think they are the same level of player they were back when they were at United and have improved a lot. Memphis in particular has been exceptional for Lyon in France but also in the Champions League for them as well as playing to a great level with his country. Zaha is clealry a quality premier league player now while he was not at that level when United signed him 7 years ago as a young player.

But I do take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What if:

Pretty sure Memphis plays predominantly upfront for Lyon and Netherlands now, not sure he’s played on the wing for a while, but I don’t think he’d displace Martial. Nor offers anything Martial doesn’t. Though I wouldn’t say no to him ever returning.

Zaha also seems to resent us. There’d be no way he’d ever consider coming back.

I’m all alone on the Sabitzer train and that’s where I’ll stay :(

I didn't think either of them played much game time on the right though.

Plus with AWB being so poor going forward and poor on his left foot we probably really need a left footer

Yes that is a good point.

I was thinking of the overall options adding two quality players would provide to the attack. Both plus Rashford and Greenwood could play either side and add to the more fluid forward line.

Gnabry for example is right footed but can play from the right for Bayern. I think Memphis would offer similar options to United now that Gnabry does to Bayern. Even with Greenwood United RF tends to move into the area in line with the right hand side of the box rather than playing wide to offer width. He would be looking to get into a central area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

billyhead wrote: »
    Henderson is willing to fight for the number 1 spot and that's admired. He could have said to hell with this and left permanently to guarantee consistent playing time. I suppose the weekly salary helps too. As others said it will keep DeGea looking over his shoulder and any blip and he's on the bench.

exactly the type of player/players we need at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hi folks, I have set up the fantasy football for the thread again, the code is 3qp00y. I have added this to my signature also. Open to all free to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

What if:

I think Zaha would be great but united being united, If we did buy Zaha I can see the following happening:
    -We pay way over the odds for him
    -silly contract term with wages are more than double of what he is on currently 140k a week
    -That desire starts to dissolve and fade away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Fairly damming when the CEO states only a few months ago that Utd could do things in the transfer market at this time that no one else could, its an awful pity he didn't elaborate cos I thought he meant buy players. My bad i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fairly damming when the CEO states only a few months ago that Utd could do things in the transfer market at this time that no one else could, its an awful pity he didn't elaborate cos I thought he meant buy players. My bad i guess

Boards must be acting up again!

Is this the 2014 quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Rumour has it Woodward is scouting George Weah's cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Trigger wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have set up the fantasy football for the thread again, the code is 3qp00y. I have added this to my signature also. Open to all free to play

Will sign up later on, spend hours poring over my selections, have a mare in GW1, use my wildcard, have a mare in GW2 and never look at it again.

Rumour has it Woodward is scouting George Weah's cousin.

Is he the lad that famous song is about, Awimmah Weah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

All the positive signs recently of moving on deadwood and supposedly Bruno coming in on not a huge wage

Then you have Keeper who I dont think has made an appearance for the club in the league who is earning the same as Allison and is not even first choice at the club

Whoever is involved in negotiating contracts is doing as much if not more damage to the club than Woodward although it probably is him doing the contracts also

Nuts102 wrote: »
    All the positive signs recently of moving on deadwood and supposedly Bruno coming in on not a huge wage

Then you have Keeper who I dont think has made an appearance for the club in the league who is earning the same as Allison and is not even first choice at the club

Whoever is involved in negotiating contracts is doing as much if not more damage to the club than Woodward although it probably is him doing the contracts also

What's your view on DDG's contract negotiated last summer? Should we have made him the highest paid keeper in the world? Approx 3 times more than Allison.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

PARlance wrote: »
    What's your view on DDG's contract negotiated last summer? Should we have made him the highest paid keeper in the world? Approx 3 times more than Allison.

I don't think any of De Gea, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Maguire and as much as I time I have for him, Mata should be on the money they are on. I'd say they are all approx overpaid by between 20-40% based on what they had actually done.

De Gea might be the exception, as he had been vital and probably still had all the bargaining power though. 1 year left, I think they'd already executed their 1 year option. He had been the clubs best player for most of the previous 5-6 years too which helps.

There should have been performance incentives, bonuses built in etc to all of these contracts, and such but they just seem to give out massive money and it then leaves them open to clubs and agents making stupid demands that Ed and co will of course get in a sweat over.

The Sanchez deal also didn't help. Players only had to point to that, and say, if that's the benchmark, I want x.

And before what do we care about wages? It's not my money. That's correct, but I've little doubt it affects squad morale and cohesion. I know we're taking about very rich people, but they're all kind of on public show and being scrutinised, and there are some who rightly deserve what they get and more, who have a right to say some players haven't justified getting close to what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Henderson passing is a worry for me. A quick look on his stats. His Pass Success Rate vs De Gea in the PL. 37% vs 74%. Allison and Ederson have 85% and 86%.

This may have a lot to do with style of play of Sheff Utd, but i did think they were a team that tried to play ball (and not long ball).

Keepers in team that play out from the back need to be good passers which is vital in the modern game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will sign up later on, spend hours poring over my selections, have a mare in GW1, use my wildcard, have a mare in GW2 and never look at it again.

Haha exactly what I've been doing the past few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

My view is that it was an awful decision he has been on a poor run for a few seasons

We have average players on contracts higher than first team players for liverpool which is ridiculous

We are in the situation where we will not be able to sell De Gea and if Henderson struggles and we look to sell him on in a few seasons who is going to give him those wages

The wage structure at the club ensures we cannot sell players for a decent fee

My view is that it was an awful decision he has been on a poor run for a few seasons

We have average players on contracts higher than first team players for liverpool which is ridiculous

We are in the situation where we will not be able to sell De Gea and if Henderson struggles and we look to sell him on in a few seasons who is going to give him those wages

Agreed... but we should have known this at the time

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110204086

While I agree 100% with your sentiment re wages, the two clubs are in a very different place. United had sustained success for over two decades and when the GOAT left the real issues came to the fore so the club took the stance of trying to throw money at the problem to mostly little success. Then look at Liverpool. Over two decades of mediocrity with the 2005 CL sandwiched in between. They brought in an excellent manager and they are in the midst of a purple patch at the moment and many of their star players have been developed into star players, when contract negotiations come round again for the likes of Allison, TAA, Robertson etc they will be looking for and will likely get well in excess of £150k each per week. When Klopp does leave, they will likely face the same issues we faced when SAF left unless they get exceptionally lucky with the next appointment. Players will get older, performances will drop but they will be on hefty contracts so will be difficult to shift on. They will be viewed as a successful team that has money to spend so transfer fees will be higher, wages for new signings will be higher because some of the players coming in will want parity with the existing wage roll.

The only teams this doesnt effect is the likes of City or Chelsea who can just dip into daddys pocket for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Allison? Is he a benchmark?

Anyways, de gea is overpaid. He was overpaid last year if the reports are correct. I've not seen anything concrete on his contract but if the breakdown of 375k a week is accurate that's obviously overpaying.

In context, he and his agent had a lot of leverage ln the club and had performances in the bank to go to the table with but obviously he's been overpaid if he received a deal like that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

De Gea's wages are a reflection of his value in terms a weekly wage plus compensation for what he could have achieved via a signing on bonus elsewhere along with United not needing to purchase a replacement at the time.

His deal over 4 years would costs the same as a keeper on 125K and with a transfer outlay of 52million.

Very much like the Sanchez deal. United paid him a massive wage in lieu of paying a major transfer fee for a player of comparable profile at the time (although United did have a transfer cost associated with Mkhitaryan).

Players who are out or about to be out of contract can achieve a huge wage. Pogba is going to get a massive bump is his wages soon for the same reason, people's heads will explode but but the increased wage is inevitable when a contract is running down. Look at what Herrera was reportedly able to achieve as a free agent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Breaking now, but Pogba has tested positive for Covid19, and has been dropped from the French squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

ElChe32 wrote: »

Prophetic comments from Jose a couple of years ago on Pogba and a virus :pac:

Joking aside, hopefully he is asymptomatic and he is all good in a week or so.

ElChe32 wrote: »

Can United draft in Camavinga somehow?

Unreal for such a young player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Breaking now, but Pogba has tested positive for Covid19, and has been dropped from the French squad.

That is shít luck, hopefully a speedy recovery.

That is shít luck, hopefully a speedy recovery.

It is unlucky but hopefully it’s an isolated case. Was he in France when he tested? How long was he in France for if so

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wonder does he isolate in France for 2 weeks, return to UK and possibly isolate again depending on situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

Weepsie wrote: »
    Wonder does he isolate in France for 2 weeks, return to UK and possibly isolate again depending on situation.
    Hard to know what the procedure is in this case.
    I'd imagine the club will want their own negative test off him before being allowed rejoin the squad after the 2 weeks either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The really worrying thing about this is the unknown - regardless of his currently situation, what could the lasting repercussions be? Any sort of breathing difficulty or scarring long term could seriously f*ck him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Not sure he’s even in France. He was in London the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The really worrying thing about this is the unknown - regardless of his currently situation, what could the lasting repercussions be? Any sort of breathing difficulty or scarring long term could seriously f*ck him up.

Mate of mine tested positive a couple of weeks ago. He says its practically nothing, has had worse flu's and hangovers. Slightest of headaches, no fever and very little impact on energy levels.

He's 28 and looks after himself. The hardest part is the boredom of self isolation in the house he says, he's been doing a home crossfit type workout during it with no impact. I think we only hear of the worse cases in the media and study released yesterday saying obese people have the hardest time coping with the virus. Pogba will be fine I'd imagine, he should breeze through it.

edit: just to say I'm not trying to diminish anyone else's experience with covid or to play down it seriousness. In this particular case 7 people in the same work environment got it, all ranging between 27-40 and most have of the compared it too a mild flu. I know it knocks others real hard, my point is if your fit and in shape it doesn't seem to be hard to go through and very manageable from what people have told me first hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mate of mine tested positive a couple of weeks ago. He says its practically nothing, has had worse flu's and hangovers. Slightest of headaches, no fever and very little impact on energy levels.

He's 28 and looks after himself. The hardest part is the boredom of self isolation in the house he says, he's been doing a home crossfit type workout during it with no impact. I think we only hear of the worse cases in the media and study released yesterday saying obese people have the hardest time coping with the virus. Pogba will be fine I'd imagine, he should breeze through it.

I know plenty of healthy people that work in hospitals and got it and it's not near as 'practically' nothing. I guess it depends on how bad that person got it. The fact your mate showed no fever would indicate a very mild version I would think. Don't mean to diminish your mates experience either. Glad it wasn't too bad of course

For those asking of long term effects. It's pretty much unknown from a medical perspective I think. Although I have spoken with people who work in the medical industry that work on it daily and long term breathing difficulties and tiredness comes up alot but nothing confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talks Messi agreed terms with city, God I hope not, I don't want him but don't want city to have him

Hococop wrote: »
    Talks Messi agreed terms with city, God I hope not, I don't want him but don't want city to have him

Realistically City would be the only club hed want to go to and City are the only club who can afford him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Messi will be playing for Barca next year. The president has already said he'll resign immediately is Messi stays and that's what's going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Messi will be playing for Barca next year. The president has already said he'll resign immediately is Messi stays and that's what's going to happen.

5/4 on paddy power ;)

I know plenty of healthy people that work in hospitals and got it and it's not near as 'practically' nothing. I guess it depends on how bad that person got it. The fact your mate showed no fever would indicate a very mild version I would think. Don't mean to diminish your mates experience either. Glad it wasn't too bad of course

For those asking of long term effects. It's pretty much unknown from a medical perspective I think. Although I have spoken with people who work in the medical industry that work on it daily and long term breathing difficulties and tiredness comes up alot but nothing confirmed

Yes it varies a lot. I see on reedit there is a group called long haulers for people who are still effected months after getting it, they experience tiredness and breathing issues months later. I'd imagine your friends in the hospitals are getting exposed the more serious strains where as the HSE let my mate make the call as to isolate at home and if he feels worse the ring his gp and go to the hospital. Luckily he seems to have a very mild case but another unknown is the immunity and how long it will last if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Hey, take the pessimistic approach like me and come to terms with the fact we won't be anywhere near a title challenge, but the lesser of 2 evils is watching City buy the league title rather than Liverpool winning on merit again.

So it's fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tbh, that just reads like the president knows he's gone, and is starting to spin Messi as the bad guy. IMO, Messi will be leaving them. There's a 90/10 split on whether its City or PSG.

I'm not so much scared of Messi at City (they were already likely to have a 90+ season anyway; he elevates them less than he'd have elevated us, Liverpool or Chelsea), as much as I hate seeing how ambitious they are while we're stuck in the mud. Messi joining City is the culmination of a decade of great management at the highest levels.

They've built their club brick by brick to be one of the best in the world. They knew the manager they wanted, they set up a long term plan revolving around him, backed him and showed themselves as a club with a dedicated vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Graeme Souness is on Sky Sports News now and saying that the Coronavirus has been infected by Paul Pogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

we wont catch city next year with or without Messi, because imo they have the best squad in the league and will win the league next year even if he doesnt sign, but i have to say i would love to see him in the premier league no matter who he plays for.

he is a once in a lifetime player, the greatest ever player to play the game along with Ronaldo and the premier league will be lucky to have him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We are well prepared for City and Messi, we will play our 7 goalkeepers.

Intelligent Ed at it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭BenK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh, that just reads like the president knows he's gone, and is starting to spin Messi as the bad guy. IMO, Messi will be leaving them. There's a 90/10 split on whether its City or PSG.

I'm not so much scared of Messi at City (they were already likely to have a 90+ season anyway; he elevates them less than he'd have elevated us, Liverpool or Chelsea), as much as I hate seeing how ambitious they are while we're stuck in the mud. Messi joining City is the culmination of a decade of great management at the highest levels.

They've built their club brick by brick to be one of the best in the world. They knew the manager they wanted, they set up a long term plan revolving around him, backed him and showed themselves as a club with a dedicated vision.

With regard to City's 'ambition' and 'vision' etc., all of that is relatively easy to implement when money is not even a slight consideration. They didn't build their club brick by brick; they spent **** loads of money! That's not to say they didn't have a plan of course but they're not a club I'd be looking at as an example of how to do things the right way.

City could be possibly getting Messi on a free, just let that sink in. I've seen a couple of reports saying this isn't a power play by Messi either, he's intent on leaving Barca.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've already backed him to stay, just amazed if he actually followed through. Makes so little sense for him for so many reasons.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement