Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Looking forward to the season restarting, I've only just realized I've absolutely no interest in German football. In fact I really couldn't give a toss if the footbal doesn't either directly or indirectly involve chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Pic of Robbie was a nice way to end the last thread.

Hope Pulisic is back to his pre injury best whenever it does restart, I think Abraham found it easier playing with him (probably no stats to back that up).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A lot of talk that we have activated the release clause for werner, 60 mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Probably good news if true so, great to be able to steal a target from under others noses if we're to get ahead

A quality option to compete with Tammy, an option if we want to go 2 up top, and I could be wrong on this but he has played on the wing before so could be an option there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Probably good news if true so, great to be able to steal a target from under others noses if we're to get ahead

A quality option to compete with Tammy, an option if we want to go 2 up top, and I could be wrong on this but he has played on the wing before so could be an option there

He mainly plays wide left, but can play up top,
    I'm a Liverpool fan and would have loved to have him but there is a few non football reasons why it didn't have work,

I think he will make Chelsea a lot stronger he's a super player,

• Advertisement

He mainly plays wide left, but can play up top,
    I'm a Liverpool fan and would have loved to have him but there is a few non football reasons why it didn't have work,

I think he will make Chelsea a lot stronger he's a super player,

I could have sworn he was a striker this season and the last couple years, mind that's not come from actually seeing him, the only time I saw him play was World Cup 2018 and he wasn't great but albeit in a poorly functioning Germany team at that time

I didn't really want to believe it yesterday and thought it was ploy from Timo's management to get Liverpool moving, but the news keeps looking good for us and it's hard to believe really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I could have sworn he was a striker this season and the last couple years, mind that's not come from actually seeing him, the only time I saw him play was World Cup 2018 and he wasn't great but albeit in a poorly functioning Germany team at that time

I didn't really want to believe it yesterday and thought it was ploy from Timo's management to get Liverpool moving, but the news keeps looking good for us and it's hard to believe really

He's basically like a Mane or Salah , He's a striker in every sense he just starts wide on the most part but can play through the middle to ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The WSL has been cancelled, despite City being top we've been given title on the points per game basis, it was certainly a more intriguing race than the Premier League with Arsenal also in the mix at the top, Liverpool meanwhile have been consigned to relegation with Aston Villa taking their spot in the top tier next year.

Just highlights that the English FA merely pander to the womens game, hasn't been given the same treatment here as the male counterparts. Simply shows that sporting merit didn't figure highly in the thinking to restart the other leagues.

So we're being linked with serious interest in Kai Havertz now

What the hell is going on with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Saving money during the transfer ban and also have Morata amf Hazard money to spend

duploelabs wrote: »
    Saving money during the transfer ban and also have Morata amf Hazard money to spend

Still if feels like a long time since we were the ones mopping up the guys everyone wants in Europe

I'm also thinking it's a pity we couldn't spend this easy in the years after Jose and Conte won their titles or while Hazard was here, glad to see it now all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭jacool

I believe that Havertz will go to Bayern, unless they sign Sané.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭jacool

Not a Chelsea fan, but this is quality.

from the BBC "Chelsea are to donate their prize money for winning the Women's Super League to a charity which supports women and children experiencing domestic abuse. Chelsea were named champions on Friday, when final places in the curtailed 2019-20 WSL season were decided on a points-per-game basis. The £100,000 first prize will be given to Refuge."

Fantastic gesture.

jacool wrote: »
    Not a Chelsea fan, but this is quality.

from the BBC "Chelsea are to donate their prize money for winning the Women's Super League to a charity which supports women and children experiencing domestic abuse. Chelsea were named champions on Friday, when final places in the curtailed 2019-20 WSL season were decided on a points-per-game basis. The £100,000 first prize will be given to Refuge."

Fantastic gesture.

Chelsea are the team that keep giving during lockdown

No charges being brought against Odoi. Great news

https://twitter.com/Calteck10/status/1271804566384893953

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

No charges being brought against Odoi. Great news

Another reason why accusations shouldn't be made public until someone has been found guilty. Great news but it won't have an ounce of the coverage the initial accusation got. He's still a gob****e for putting himself in the position and breaking lockdown, hopefully it's a cheap life lesson for him.

Separately, seems like he's picked up a knock in one of the friendlies and will miss the game next weekend.

good friendly win yesterday 7-1 over QPR

peteeeed wrote: »
    good friendly win yesterday 7-1 over QPR

I'd like to have seen tammy score tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd like to have seen tammy score tho

Hopefully his nose hasn't been put out of joint by all this transfer talk.

• Advertisement

Its been a few seasons since we've been linked with everybody even ronaldo

Great to have it confirmed, I never really believe transfer talk until its official.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Great to have it confirmed, I never really believe transfer talk until its official.

Luckily a lot of our bigger deals recently don't seem to go through long weeks of transfer talk in the rags

Kovacic (initial loan), Pulisic, Ziyech and now Werner weren't properly linked to us until it seemed like a deal was done, unfortunately Havertz is falling into the opposite camp at the moment

Luckily a lot of our bigger deals recently don't seem to go through long weeks of transfer talk in the rags

Kovacic (initial loan), Pulisic, Ziyech and now Werner weren't properly linked to us until it seemed like a deal was done, unfortunately Havertz is falling into the opposite camp at the moment

To be honest, even if we don't make another signing it's a strong transfer window. Replacing Willian (most likely), Pedro, Batshuayi with Ziyech and Werner should be a big upgrade. If we find a left back I'd be delighted.

hots wrote: »
    To be honest, even if we don't make another signing it's a strong transfer window. Replacing Willian (most likely), Pedro, Batshuayi with Ziyech and Werner should be a big upgrade. If we find a left back I'd be delighted.

We're doing 2 summers worth of business, and in terms of closing the gap to Pool and City there's more to be done

I'd want a new left back to call this summer a full success, if we were to get an upgraded centre back funded by loanees and others like Barkley who probably don't have a future then that would be amazing

A new GK could be a need rather than a want, I'd like to see Kepa being given the chance for the rest of the season and if he's not up to it then off for Onana or Donnarumma

Not to sound like Tottenham but RLC will be like a new signing as well, the future is looking bright

• Advertisement

We're doing 2 summers worth of business, and in terms of closing the gap to Pool and City there's more to be done

I'd want a new left back to call this summer a full success, if we were to get an upgraded centre back funded by loanees and others like Barkley who probably don't have a future then that would be amazing

A new GK could be a need rather than a want, I'd like to see Kepa being given the chance for the rest of the season and if he's not up to it then off for Onana or Donnarumma

Not to sound like Tottenham but RLC will be like a new signing as well, the future is looking bright

I'm definitely not pushed on a GK but agreed on a CB, to get back to #1/2 in the league we'll either need a top one or two of our four will need to step up big time.

RLC, CHO, Pulisic all to come back is a big difference for us. And certainly Havertz rumours are fairly wild, we'd be an insanely top heavy team if we got him in!

hots wrote: »
    I'm definitely not pushed on a GK but agreed on a CB, to get back to #1/2 in the league we'll either need a top one or two of our four will need to step up big time.

RLC, CHO, Pulisic all to come back is a big difference for us. And certainly Havertz rumours are fairly wild, we'd be an insanely top heavy team if we got him in!

It's tough at centre back because we have 4 guys who you can't really split a hair between, a lot would consider Rudiger the best but I haven't seen anything from him since he came back that would ascert that for me, we had a decent spell with Tomori and Zouma at one stage in the season but other than that it's been a lot of chopping and changing and centre back isn't a place for that imo

The CB we need isn't exactly easy to identify, prospects like Gabriel, Upamecano or Ake would be an expensive risk and I don't think you could definitively say they would be an improvement over what we already have

If we get Havertz then our attack would be a bit like the mid to late 2000s when our centre midfield options were beyond stacked with Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Makelele - not the same quality obviously but serious variety in the options available

It's tough at centre back because we have 4 guys who you can't really split a hair between, a lot would consider Rudiger the best but I haven't seen anything from him since he came back that would ascert that for me, we had a decent spell with Tomori and Zouma at one stage in the season but other than that it's been a lot of chopping and changing and centre back isn't a place for that imo

The CB we need isn't exactly easy to identify, prospects like Gabriel, Upamecano or Ake would be an expensive risk and I don't think you could definitively say they would be an improvement over what we already have

If we get Havertz then our attack would be a bit like the mid to late 2000s when our centre midfield options were beyond stacked with Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Makelele - not the same quality obviously but serious variety in the options available

Yeah every CB we're linked with feels like they'll leave us with 5 good-ish centre backs :o

Personally I'd love us to run with Rudiger and Tomori for the rest of the year. I think Zouma is least likely to make the cut, Rudiger for me is the best and Tomori has the most potential by a long way. Christensen is pretty solid and good on the ball but can only be paired with Rudiger I'd say, needs a leader beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

It's nice to see us eating at the big table again after a few years of crumbs.
    Last few seasons we have been carried to some degree by Hazard it is nice to see steps taken to replace him, next season could be a bit more interesting.

Lamps villa presser

- Coy on Chiwell
    - Werner excited to join, he is 'huge talent'
    - Tomori and CHO out Sunday, RLC fit but not had many matches
    - Happy to have big squad and 5 subs, Abraham must know we have competition 'in Abramovich era'
    - Unclear if Pedro/Willian sign extensions

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

I wouldnt want too many signings for next season as i'd be worried about squad harmony and the effect i has on young players as well. Priority would be a left back at this time.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt want too many signings for next season as i'd be worried about squad harmony and the effect i has on young players as well. Priority would be a left back at this time.

I'd be more worried about not building on a good first season for Frank

Competition for places is good, if you're good enough you'll make it, we've had too many players last few years with a place in the starting XI secured and haven't always delivered, eg Willian, Oscar

Sane to Bayern looking very likely, Pep even saying so in a press conference

They were the only other club heavily linked to Havertz before our links the last couple weeks, I'd like to think it will help our supposed pursuit

Sane to Bayern looking very likely, Pep even saying so in a press conference

They were the only other club heavily linked to Havertz before our links the last couple weeks, I'd like to think it will help our supposed pursuit

Depends if Leverkusen qualify for the Cl

Hopefully Gladbach can stop that so, and Leipzig do us another favour and dont fall away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And its liveee!
    The boys on Blue are back in action today.
    But who will Frankie choose in midfield?
    Or which two FBs will he go with?
    And who'll be at CB alongside Rudi?

Hes got too many options!

(missed this oul game)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Bayer blow it in Berlin so looks like he will be moving, be nice to get him

Disappointed to see Willian and Giroud starting

I'd have imagined Pulisic and Tammy would have a point to prove considering our transfer actions of late

Disappointed to see Willian and Giroud starting

I'd have imagined Pulisic and Tammy would have a point to prove considering our transfer actions of late

I think I'd start the bench instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Deserved that win much better team without creating a load. Reece James was awful when he came on, thought he was going to cost us the win, very sluggish on the ball for the few minutes he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

tough-ish win but i'll take it :D

Big win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

first substitution was excellent and made on time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Made a nice change that they capitalised on teams around them not having a great weekend.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

christensen and rudiger never looked that safe but overall i was happy with the performance, kept the ball very well , RLC got some mins under his belt after a long time out and did look rusty , pulisic came back and looked like he'd never been out . kante was excellent at the base of the midfield as was mount

• Advertisement
Advertisement