Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Liam O wrote: »
    Who would have thought that playing against a high press system that the player on front of the centre backs would be under more pressure than some others? I've been critical of his simple passing in the past but he played some nice forward passes through the middle yesterday. People looking for issues with a player after a 5-0 win and he was literally involved in 4 goals is Fellaini levels of nonsense scapegoating.

You can butter it up any way you want to be honest but a less creative player should not give the ball away as much as a creative player.

People are not looking for issues after a 5-0 win, these issues were there well before the 5-0 win. Fred played well yesterday, may have got MOTM but for the hat trick. That doesn’t mean he had a couple of very sloppy passes that were actually simple passes, he also lost possession in an area that u just can’t lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

duffman13 wrote: »
    A goal and an assist, playing left back! Good to see him doing well

His assist was delicious.

[url]

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rock77 wrote: »
    Just on Fred,

In last nights game every player in the starting 11 bar Shaw had a better pass completion % than Fred.

Fred gave the ball away more times than any other midfielder last season.

Having said that Maguire was the only player last season to win the ball back more than Fred.

The problem I have with these stats is that, as people have rightly argued here, Fred is not a creator, or a scorer. He is expected to keep it simple and keep us moving. Yet he gives the ball away a lot, way more than a non creative midfielder should.

Also, his mistakes really stand out because he gives it away in a very dangerous area at least once per game. He also gives away easy possession sometimes.

Having said all that, his energy, tackling and interceptions have been brilliant lately. He certainly is improving and has been brilliant in a few games.

But seriously lads, don’t be saying people think he gives the ball away but he doesn’t because he most certainly does, more than any other midfielder.

He gave it away more but he attempted far more passes and also completed more.

You're only telling half the tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

A player busting his bollix on the pitch and putting in decent performances but there's still a section who cant or wont see it and resort to the price tag when all else fails!!

Where have we seen this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

His assist was delicious.

Bennacer's long balls led to two Milan goals, his passing from deep is incredible. No wonder Pep wants him. I hope someone at Utd is also and tells Ole, Bennacer would be a great replacement for Matic.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    He gave it away more but he attempted far more passes and also completed more.

You're only telling half the tale.

Yeah fair point but there were people in here saying I was imagining Fred giving the ball away when the truth is he gives it away more than anyone. Look I’m trying to get away from the Fred bashing now. He is improving and in my opinion the major issue with him is concentration which hopefully can be sorted.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rock77 wrote: »
    Yeah fair point but there were people in here saying I was imagining Fred giving the ball away when the truth is he gives it away more than anyone. Look I’m trying to get away from the Fred bashing now. He is improving and in my opinion the major issue with him is concentration which hopefully can be sorted.

I noted earlier that last night was one of his worst games ever for pass completion since joining. He had a different type of role.

Bruno passes the ball away twice as much, but they're in such advanced positions it's hardly draws attention. Fred was a bit more tenacious and was getting involved in attack a bit more so would stand to reason his accuracy may drop

Weepsie wrote: »
    I noted earlier that last night was one of his worst games ever for pass completion since joining. He had a different type of role.

Bruno passes the ball away twice as much, but they're in such advanced positions it's hardly draws attention. Fred was a bit more tenacious and was getting involved in attack a bit more so would stand to reason his accuracy may drop

Yeah I hear you, I got dragged into the stat thing when I was told I was imagining Fred giving the ball away.

My opinion is not that he gives the ball away too often, it’s that he does it in very dangerous areas and at times when he really really shouldn’t. Again I put it down to concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I will never understand these posts. Can someone link me to something where Jose said Rashford is no good a few years ago? Maybe I'm wrong and the statement is accurate?

"No good" is an exaggeration.

But he was pretty dismissive of Rashford's contribution in an after-game interview at Brighton.

At 4:00 - The "this player/that player" comment is clearly aimed in part at Rashford who if I remember had started his first league game in quite a while that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wouldn’t normally quote Jamie Redknapp but he made a very good point on a sky podcast there which sort of ties in with my feelings.

His point was that we get too hung up on systems (or tactics) and have failed to really look at players application. I’ve said it before and it has happened to all levels of managers (eg players downing tools), it doesn’t matter what system a manager coaches if the players are not applying themselves to it.

I remember Jose was dropping bigger names and starting Fellaini and McT even in bigger games and it was because they were applying themselves best to his instructions. The culture of United Squads has been toxic for sometime but how much of it was down to players application but equally player competition?

Very early doors of course but is DDG getting a new lease of life with Henderson? Is Tuanzabe (even Shaw playing LCB) helping maguire And Lindleof focus a bit more. Has VDB given Ole more options which In turn Has a good competition among those in that position? Is Cavani not just a great influence in dressingroom but also putting rashford and martial under more pressure (as opposed to Igahlo).

I mean the options this season to last are chalk and cheese. People made a lot out of Ole starting the same team and burning out our first team. But then they also confirmed that Oles alternative options were not good enough which is a kind of a contradiction. I’ve said it before that last season was unique and very difficult to judge. When we came back from COVID break we couldn’t afford to drop many points if we wanted top 4 and we had to go on some savage run to even get the spot. This explains why Ole made so few changes and burnt out the squad. While people complain about it, he achieved our goal of 3rd spot.

So I think this could be a very interesting season. Don’t know what to expect and do believe we may continue a two steps forward three steps back kind of journey. But I’ve seen enough to suggest it might be worth hanging onto Ole to see what might happen. Getting the team to maintain consistency may be easier/possible with vastly better squad options for rotating and motivating players. The players seem generally happy with the manager and that’s 80% of a managers job. There’s no negative stories coming out (Romero aside) from starting or main players in the squad.

In terms of Ole I’m still in the not sure category. I’ve said it before that there is no excuse that United have not finished at least in the top 4 every season since SAF retired. But multiple managers of different quality have struggled to manage it. If we can go on a good run in the CL and finish in the top 4 again it can be hard to argue that Ole doesn’t deserve to remain as manager. Maybe he can work within the broken parameters of the club and make them work, maybe he can even fix them. But in the meantime we might have to be patient on the field and have reasonable expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Very early doors of course but is DDG getting a new lease of life with Henderson? Is Tuanzabe (even Shaw playing LCB) helping maguire And Lindleof focus a bit more. Has VDB given Ole more options which In turn Has a good competition among those in that position? Is Cavani not just a great influence in dressingroom but also putting rashford and martial under more pressure (as opposed to Igahlo).

I said a while back that a part of the problem at United is there is no consequence for failure - and it is still somewhat true.

Woodward is still in a job despite everything.
    Arguably Ole could have been out on his ear at various points.
    But, more importantly from a performance point of view....

Rojo still here getting paid.
    Jones still here getting paid.
    Lingard still here getting paid.

And then look at the options last season, as you say.

If Martial is playing poorly was he going to lose his spot to Ighalo? Was Rashford bricking it that Lingard might take his spot?
    Was Pereira putting pressure on anyone?
    If Pogba was fit, who was the alternative for most of his time here? Pereira?

When the players know they won't be sold almost no matter how they perform, is that going to effect their application? If they know there isn't really another option to drop them for, is that going to effect their application?

As you say, with Telles, Tuanzebe, VDB, Cavani, Ole now has more players that can legitimately stake a claim to a starting spot. that can only be a good thing.

The glaring weakness is still on the wing - evidenced by Daniel James... but we knew that was a problem going into the summer and the failure to address it s well discussed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Application alone is not enough, it also requires aptitude.

Take Pogba and Lingard. One always has application questioned while the other aptitude.

Lingard has physical characteristics that mean he can change direction quickly, he is quick in his first 5 yards in speed terms and can get about the pitch quickly so always looks to be trying.

His end product is weak and arguably he is a player that should probably be playing wing back instead of an attacking midfield role but his attitude and certain traits mean he had great value to someone like Jose.

Pogba has a skillset that should make him strong as a CM but he does not have the aptitude - he also turns slowly, is not quick in the first 5 yards and tends to play too linear - cannot get around quickly in changes of direction. So inevitably he plays better wider. His weaknesses in important aspects let him down yet effort is questioned when he is actually out of his depth at times in the central areas in more open set ups.

A strong squad will srive competition but should also keep people primed to make an impact instead of overuse or use when a player is needing a rest for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We really need to kick on now Sunday and get a win and start moving up the table.

No excuses Sunday, a win is a must

We really need to kick on now Sunday and get a win and start moving up the table.

No excuses Sunday, a win is a must

Our record against most top 6 sides last season was excellent. Without it, we would not have made CL qualification.

Man City: 6 points
    Chelsea: 6 points
    Leicester: 6 points
    Spurs: 4 points

So far this year we've already dropped 5 points out of 6 at home to Spurs and Chelsea.

Completely agree.
    3 points is a must against Arsenal on Sunday (another side with designs on the Top 4). Or we're in danger of leaving ourselves too far behind the other "big sides".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Our record against most top 6 sides last season was excellent. Without it, we would not have made CL qualification.

Man City: 6 points
    Chelsea: 6 points
    Leicester: 6 points
    Spurs: 4 points

So far this year we've already dropped 5 points out of 6 at home to Spurs and Chelsea.

Completely agree.
    3 points is a must against Arsenal on Sunday (another side with designs on the Top 4). Or we're in danger of leaving ourselves too far behind the other "big sides".
    The reason beating the other top 6 teams got us into the top 4 is because we were so bad against everyone else. Finding ways to beat the fodder who sit deep and don't come out is more important that beating the other top 6 sides.

We rarely won the top 4 (as it was at the time) league under Fergie, yet still won plenty of titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Expecting a similar record this year is a danger in itself too. Sometimes those top 6 games come down to the bounce of a ball and the final result often isn't an accurate reflection of how the game panned out.

I do think we need to improve on last years results against Arsenal (1 point if I remember correctly?) and I think this is well within our capabilities.

Also, 19/20 FA Youth Cup Semi Final against Chelsea is on BT Sport tonight. A win would be a massive result for the youth setup based on Chelsea's recent record.

The reason beating the other top 6 teams got us into the top 4 is because we were so bad against everyone else. Finding ways to beat the fodder who sit deep and don't come out is more important that beating the other top 6 sides.

We rarely won the top 4 (as it was at the time) league under Fergie, yet still won plenty of titles.

Those fodder teams as you call them are a big problem for Ole. I don't see that being a quick fix for him. Yes for sure we need better results against those sides. Not convinced it will come right away though.

As it is we need better results against the Top 6 teams.
    Those results are a double win too of course, in that it takes points off our direct rivals for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Zeek12 wrote: »
    "No good" is an exaggeration.

But he was pretty dismissive of Rashford's contribution in an after-game interview at Brighton.

At 4:00 - The "this player/that player" comment is clearly aimed in part at Rashford who if I remember had started his first league game in quite a while that day.

That's quite the leap. It's more fiction than an exaggeration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was a gentleman. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I'm very sorry to hear this news,RIP to a true legend, irrespective of your own club or country affiliations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nobby was an absolute Utd legend. Obviously, a Titan as a player and remained heavily involved in coaching the next generation of Utd youngsters right up to the time of Fergies Fledglings.

He was Johnny Giles brother in law, they married sisters. Poor Johnny has lost a few very close people to him this year.

Rest in Peace Nobby Stiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

May Nobby RIP.....any coverage I saw of him either on or off the field was always complimentary about the type of person he was......made the most of his attributes but always had a smile on his face.....

Will never forget watching an interview with him about England’s World Cup win where he talked about how blind he actually used to be on the field.....imagine telling likes of N’golo Kante or Busquets that they had to marshall a midfield half blind!

Nunu wrote: »
    Nobby was an absolute Utd legend. Obviously, a Titan as a player and remained heavily involved in coaching the next generation of Utd youngsters right up to the time of Fergies Fledglings.

He was Johnny Giles brother in law, they married sisters. Poor Johnny has lost a few very close people to him this year.

Rest in Peace Nobby Stiles

He married Giles sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭eigrod

RIP Nobby. Don’t remember him playing but was clearly a great character. Condolences to John Giles and all Nobby’s family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

I'm of an age that i remember Nobby playing, a proper little battling in your face player, kicking whatever moved.. funny man.
    Rest in Peace Nobby in the other Theatre of Dreams. Club legend no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United v Chelsea Youth Cup Semi Final is on BT 1 at 7.30 tonight.

Winner plays City in final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

United v Chelsea Youth Cup Semi Final is on BT 1 at 7.30 tonight.

Winner plays City in final.

Am watching it.....Chelsea all over Utd for majority of First half....Utd Keeper has made a few great saves so far.

First 25 minutes was an onslaught but united possibly shaded the next 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Chelsea through

Not an awful game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lord TSC wrote: »

Surprised at that. Takes a cracker of a freekick tho, we're stocking up on set piece takers now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,239 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP and condolences to his loved ones.

was involved in the class of 92 as well.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12119035/neviles-memories-of-nobby-stiles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Surprised at that. Takes a cracker of a freekick tho, we're stocking up on set piece takers now.

I'd presume he'd be backup to Rashford, and James would be leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd presume he'd be backup to Rashford, and James would be leaving.

i cant believe he's only 26, if you'd of asked me to guess his age id of said something like 32 or something :pac::pac:

Sean Connery has died, Sir Matt offered him a contract of £25 per week to join United back in the early 50s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Sean Connery has died, Sir Matt offered him a contract of £25 per week to join United back in the early 50s!

Sheriously?

paulbok wrote: »
    Sheriously?

Schocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

100 matches for Ole. That’s impressive. When he took over I was guessing he’d last no longer than a month or two.

• Advertisement

Saw some breakdown of the last third of those 100 games and it's a pretty decent record.

It's quite interesting (and extremely valuable given this abnormal intense season) to not know what XI Ole is going to field later.

I think 3 points, which we are more than capable of achieving today, would really see us set up nicely for the final few games in this difficult run we're on.

kerplun k wrote: »
    100 matches for Ole. That’s impressive. When he took over I was guessing he’d last no longer than a month or two.

Met too. I thought Ole was the ultimate “we don’t know what we are doing signing” and I still do to be honest. It’s like they’ve stumbled onto something that just might work in spite of woodwards/Glazers relentless incompetence.

While Woodward and the glazers refuse to change their own failed ways in running things maybe a completely unconventional appointment might actually work. Ole was plucked from a nothing role and given one of the biggest roles in football. It just shouldn’t work. But relative to what we got the previous 7 seasons it’s not been worse. The actual football has at time’s been the best I’ve seen since SAF retired. The team looks happy with the manager and unlike most seasons we actually look like we might be capable of making serious inroads into our efforts to climb back up league and CL.

I am looking forward to this afternoon. With a slightly easier European game this week maybe Ole can be a bit bolder and we will see our CL form now pass into the league. I’m not excusing the chelsea draw/performance but it was sandwiched in between two savagely tough (on paper anyway) champions league games. If we win today that will be 3 wins and a draw agaisnt PSG, Leipzig, Chelsea and Arsenal. I don’t think I would of been expecting more then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We need to bring that rootless streak we saw mid week into the game today,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I expect us to win today. Would love to see DVDB and Bruno start together but honestly have no idea what to expect from Oles team selection today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

More of the same, good solid performance taking any chance that presents itself.

Comfortable by the 80th minute seeing the game out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/JWTelegraph/status/1322887197364785153?s=20

Very sad news this afternoon.

Dementia is a truly awful disease.

Hopefully he is allowed to rest and deal with it as best possible.

Giant of a man.

:(

Awful for his family members too. 2020 sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Very sad news about Bobby.

Don't know what to think about the game this afternoon and how it will be approached. We have better players than arsenal and are a better team currently, have had two massive wins in Europe and they havnt won at OT since 2006. I wouldn't bet against them nicking a win. I hope ta fcuk its not another cautious, "do not lose" game like the Chelsea one. They were there to be beaten and we shied away from it, this for me is a must win game.

Maybe this post won’t age well today but I still think it’s odd after the start we have had that if we win our two games in hand we could potentially be 3rd and only 3 off top spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

https://twitter.com/JWTelegraph/status/1322887197364785153?s=20

Very sad news this afternoon.

Dementia is a truly awful disease.

Hopefully he is allowed to rest and deal with it as best possible.

Giant of a man.

My Dad had the flu and kidney infection at 79 in December last, and came out after 6 weeks in hospital with developing dementia. It's tough at times but he's in good spirits most days. A big United fan, we had two season tickets from 2008 to 2011. He lived in Manchester for few years in early mid 60s.

Hope Bobby and his family cope well. There's various strains of dementia and quality of life can still be quite high with the right care and attention.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement