Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

It was Celbridge Football Park until about 2005, then Swifts which was a local pub/nightclub until about 2008 (they changed ownership about 4 years ago) and then Cill Dara Betting sponsored them for the last season or two. I will find the logo for Swifts and link it onto you.

Edit: this is probably the clearest picture I can find.l, forgot it was in the pre-facebook days! Good picture of Philly Gorman and Pádraig Amond celebrating a goal. http://https://amp.rte.ie/amp/215363/

Funny was only reading about that specific match during the week as it was Brian Gartlands first LOI appearance apparently, remember being at it.

Can’t get that pic to load for some reason. I was starting to create some Kildare kits to be used in PES and was making an Umbro style kit which Kildare used when they were sponsored by Swifts, hence the reason for me wanting that logo. Think I’ll just switch it to Adidas and use the Cill Dara Betting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Can’t get that pic to load for some reason. I was starting to create some Kildare kits to be used in PES and was making an Umbro style kit which Kildare used when they were sponsored by Swifts, hence the reason for me wanting that logo. Think I’ll just switch it to Adidas and use the Cill Dara Betting one.

be000decc0c4932b4984adaf23328312.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sugarman wrote: »
    Nightclub. Heres the same one they used on the shirt.

Many messy nights in that place

sugarman wrote: »
    Nightclub. Heres the same one they used on the shirt.

Legend pal, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

60 minutes of pure horrifying halloween football served up by Shels here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Morris will be under pressure now

Contender for the worst Shelbourne performance I've seen, certainly has to be our worst ever performance as Premier Division club against a struggling First Division club

The Athlone striker who has scored a hat-trick against us has scored a total of 0 goals in 18 appearances this season before this game...

I've made kits for Kildare County, Kilkenny City & Monaghan United for PES 2021 if anybody wants to use them!

https://youtu.be/o-14S9Nn1Kw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

4-1

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Galway's goal against Bray is about as bad as you'll see.

https://twitter.com/QBALL123456789/status/1322579196988850177?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

irish_goat wrote: »

Very poorly defended. But I couldn't care how it went in, we deserved it on the balance of play I think.

Great to see Athlone winning that game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

irish_goat wrote: »

In fairness, we got everything we deserved we were absolute trash against Galway last week. For a team going for the title there was no urgency during the game and Galway got the just rewards with the winner in the last minute.

I only got to watch the second half and Galway were the better side some awful bray performances in the second half. The goal sums it up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Didn't expect that from Athlone. Some win, pity there won't be crowds allowed for their semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What a sh1t show.

Arguably worst result in club's history.

And it can actually get a lot worse. :rolleyes:

Thank christ for that full-time whistle, gutless, cowardly performance from the Shels players and management

Whether we get away with Premier Division survival or not I think today will be a turning point alot of fans against the Morris/Henderson management structure unless there is significant transformation in our footballing philosophy and recruitment

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What a sh1t show.

Arguably worst result in club's history.

And it can actually get a lot worse. :rolleyes:
    I'm terrified of a two-legged play-off against Galway/UCD/Longford, I think it will be nasty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Longford through after extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What a winner for Longford, class goal

I hope RTE show the playoff final next week. Really no reason why they aren't showing these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I hope RTE show the playoff final next week. Really no reason why they aren't showing these.

They probably have a repeat of The Big Bang Theory to show, priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

are Derry playing there last few games ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Only seeing the scoreline of the Shels match now. Jesus that was a walloping. You'd fear for them if Finn Harps can catch them.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I wouldn't send a stray cat to Trabolgan. The rest of your "business model" is laughable. How many loan players from second tier English clubs have made any impact in the LOI over the years?

Not my business model but speculating like every other cork city fan and trying to see what might be going through hemmings mind that made him see a benefit of investing in a shell with no assets.

The loan players that have come previously were youths, it will be in hemmings interest now to get city back to the Premier and he just happens to have a club in the championship that has far superior players.

But anyway we shall wait and see and hopefully you'll be eating humble pie

hardybuck wrote: »
    Daryl Murphy didn't come through a Cork underage model. He played for his junior club Southend in Waterford before joining Waterford United.

Waterford should continue to pick up the best players in the region provided they keep things steady.

Never said he did, John egan didn't go through city either or Hourihan

I said that with a proper set up we could get those players before they go to England and get them going here and hopefully progress the club in the league and Europe before England beckons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'm terrified of a two-legged play-off against Galway/UCD/Longford, I think it will be nasty

Is it two legs? Heard during the week that it's only a one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

Not my business model but speculating like every other cork city fan and trying to see what might be going through hemmings mind that made him see a benefit of investing in a shell with no assets.

The loan players that have come previously were youths, it will be in hemmings interest now to get city back to the Premier and he just happens to have a club in the championship that has far superior players.

You do know players have to agree to loan moves? It's not automatic that players who would improve Cork will want to join Cork to live in Tralbogan just because they all have a common owner.

Punches thrown in the shels dressing room after the match today allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

crazy 4th and 5th in the first divison in the playoff semi final and then only 1 game away from Premier Division

Fair ****s to Athlone in the cup, cant see them beating Bohs or Dundalk but still a cup semi final is a great achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You would f*cking hope so after that embarrassment

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    You do know players have to agree to loan moves? It's not automatic that players who would improve Cork will want to join Cork to live in Tralbogan just because they all have a common owner.

You seem to be focusing on Trabolgan, it was a suggestion that it may happen. For all we know he owns properties all over cork.

Your actually reacting like what I said is fact, I am speculating and trying to possibly imagine what the owner is thinking. He won't want the club stuck in division 1, lessening income and also delaying pushing for Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They probably all missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    crazy 4th and 5th in the first divison in the playoff semi final and then only 1 game away from Premier Division

2 games, they still have to beat the prem team in a relegation playoff.

It also happens in most every league in europe so I'm not sure why it keeps being mentioned. At least in LoI the prem team a a last chance to save themselves

Out of interest, are people enjoying watching the games on TV? I know as a Shels fan we’re accustomed to a less entertaining style than some other teams in the league, but I just don’t feel LOI football translates to TV at all. Even the teams who think they play a nice standard of football are still such low quality.

I find it really easy to ignore the quality of what I’m watching when I’m at the games because there’s so much to the experience then, but watching our games on TV has felt like such a chore even when we’re winning.

Really really hope the league doesn’t start back in 2021 before fans can come back.

CSF wrote: »
    Out of interest, are people enjoying watching the games on TV? I know as a Shels fan we’re accustomed to a less entertaining style than some other teams in the league, but I just don’t feel LOI football translates to TV at all. Even the teams who think they play a nice standard of football are still such low quality.

I find it really easy to ignore the quality of what I’m watching when I’m at the games because there’s so much to the experience then, but watching our games on TV has felt like such a chore even when we’re winning.

Really really hope the league doesn’t start back in 2021 before fans can come back.

I'm enjoying it. I get to see more matches because of the staggered start times and the WATCHLOI. It's also far better than the alternative of no matches at all. While I'd prefer to be at the matches, I'm quite happy with the current compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hate it, LOI is an awful standard of football and would much prefer to abuse Rob Harvey in person.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it. I get to see more matches because of the staggered start times and the WATCHLOI. It's also far better than the alternative of no matches at all. While I'd prefer to be at the matches, I'm quite happy with the current compromise.

In fairness, I’ve never watched a full LOI game on TV that didn’t involve Shels so this combined with us being so impossible to watch has probably combined to me feeling like I’m only watching out of that sense of obligation to loyalty.

I certainly enjoy when we win, but it rarely feels like 90 minutes well spent when watching on the telly. Whereas Friday nights were always the highlight of the week even through some of the most dour First Division teams we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm also happy with watchloi and hope a similar service can continue in future seasons.

It's not a big issue for clubs in and around Dublin, but the majority of Sligo Rovers away matches are impossible for most fans to get to as they are played on a Friday night and most aren't getting off work until 5 or 6pm. If a streaming service continues I'd purchase a subscription just to be able to watch those away games. I can't go back to flashscore and twitter updates.

It's also nice being able to watch other games that are interesting. I'm looking forward to both of the games tomorrow, especially the Harps one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Football doesn't work like that as other posters have pointed out. As for humble pie I'll pass on that have an extra slice for yourself.

In fairness, I’ve never watched a full LOI game on TV that didn’t involve Shels so this combined with us being so impossible to watch has probably combined to me feeling like I’m only watching out of that sense of obligation to loyalty.

I certainly enjoy when we win, but it rarely feels like 90 minutes well spent when watching on the telly. Whereas Friday nights were always the highlight of the week even through some of the most dour First Division teams we had.

I've found that with the WATCHLOI I've two or three of the matches each week. Our match and whatever is on Friday and if there's a Saturday night match. I'd tend to watch LOI matches over other leagues also probably because the matches are more relevant to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Watchloi has been a fantastic addition to the LOI. We should have had something similar in place before now, great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I've lived abroad for 11 years, so chances to watch Harps have been limited to say the least.

So I'm delighted with the Watch LOI service, and since I work from home all the time, have been making the most of it. Yeah, the standard isn't great, but I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

You seem to be focusing on Trabolgan, it was a suggestion that it may happen. For all we know he owns properties all over cork.

Your actually reacting like what I said is fact, I am speculating and trying to possibly imagine what the owner is thinking. He won't want the club stuck in division 1, lessening income and also delaying pushing for Europe

Take Trabolgan out of the equation. If you are a player at Preston or any other club and the club wants to send you on loan you have a say in where you end up or if you go out on loan at all. Take a look at a map of the EFL clubs. A player based in Preston could go out on loan to any number of clubs without having to move house, never mind moving to another country.

I'm glad it's there. It's better than not seeing the games at all but I don't enjoy it at all. Shels fan also so there's not a lot of quality on display and I've rarely used the pass to watch other teams games. Having said that I'd like it to continue in operation even if fans are allowed back at games. Handy for away games, the odd home game you can't get the pass for etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Watchloi can be badly affected by the standards of commontator too. The last two harps games seem to have been well received. They weren't from rte, but they knew the basics like who players were and the waffle to fill gaps was actually relevant. Some (not all) of the rte presenters clearly don't give enough of a crap to know who they're looking at, to do some research and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1322576468652818432

Did shels players have minus 2 on the docket? Up to their old tricks I see.

overshoot wrote: »
    Watchloi can be badly affected by the standards of commontator too. The last two harps games seem to have been well received. They weren't from rte, but they knew the basics like who players were and the waffle to fill gaps was actually relevant. Some (not all) of the rte presenters clearly don't give enough of a crap to know who they're looking at, to do some research and it shows.
    I'm finding some of them doing the research making it even more tedious. Yes Stephen Alkin, we know that Ciaran Kilduff used to play for Kildare County. You don't need to spit these random irrelevant facts at us for the full 90 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

overshoot wrote: »

Siobhán Madigan

*Shudder*

Wilberto wrote: »
    Siobhán Madigan

*Shudder*

The Andre Ward incident was a particular lowpoint.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wilberto wrote: »
    Siobhán Madigan

*Shudder*

I kinda feel bad for her. She's blatantly unsuited for commentary.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

dreamers75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1322576468652818432

Did shels players have minus 2 on the docket? Up to their old tricks I see.

Unfortunately we’ve been that bad and self-destructive for all the season. Not even close to our worst calamity. We haven’t conceded too many goals this year, but when they come they’re horrific. See Poynton against Bohs, McCabe against Cork etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement