Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Everyone will have their own opinions and also their own levels of optimism/pessimism. I'm delighted with the start to the season, quality of football we are playing, quality of players we are signing, the team spirit and feel of community and a culture about the club as a whole. So many great things but we are just back in the PL after 16 years and have had many, many false dawns. If we have a bad run of form or injuries then relegation is definitely still a possibility (although unlikely) and it would crush us given the wages and fees we've committed to. We just need a safe drama-free season and that's far from guaranteed after just 6 games.

We're not bigger than established PL teams yet. Others may have smaller budgets or are more frugal with them, have worse stadia or fan bases but they've been here and survived before. I'm sure Fulham spent more a few years ago than many big European teams (2nd highest net spend in PL) and Villa last year too (£144m) but it didn't suddenly mean they were competing with them. We need to show over 38 games that we are here to compete and then ideally improve from there in the next season or two. We are doing everything right and the future looks bright, but it's a while away.

Just a small note on the TV appearances stuff, BT and SKY bought rights to show 160 games originally. Now with COVID and all games being shown, if they screen every game that's 722 per season, so the £1m per game TV appearance money would have to drop.

I always figured Radrizzani doesn't have a huge amount of money, certainly way behind the owners of most PL clubs. He never features in rich lists, his net worth isn't disclosed, he seems to have been involved in one business that was sold and now he runs a club. But runs it well. Frankly I'm far more comfortable with the way Leeds is run than if billionaires come in, one thinks of Man Utd, Blackburn etc and I would be very against the idea of the PSG owners or any of those Middle East sportswashing efforts.

Everyone will have their own opinions and also their own levels of optimism/pessimism. I'm delighted with the start to the season, quality of football we are playing, quality of players we are signing, the team spirit and feel of community and a culture about the club as a whole. So many great things but we are just back in the PL after 16 years and have had many, many false dawns. If we have a bad run of form or injuries then relegation is definitely still a possibility (although unlikely) and it would crush us given the wages and fees we've committed to. We just need a safe drama-free season and that's far from guaranteed after just 6 games.

Minutes ater I post this the club offer the season-ticket holders a wonderful opportunity.....to have first dibs on buying a centenary £200 bottle of wine!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I saw it mentioned previously that Radrizzani is worth around £400m. Might be a bit more now as the club value will have increased after promotion, but he's certainly not in the same league as the likes of Abramovich, Henry or the Glazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Leeds have more money available this year than than they will for next as the wage bill will greatly increase as major teams come after our players and we have to pay heavily to retain them. All changes of course if big SF 49ers or QSI money comes in.

They're telling us they budgeted for 17th to downplay expectations. You don't spend more than Real Madrid, Manchester United & Inter Milan and expect to finish close to the bottom. Radrizzani did the same in terms of expectations when he said we had £35m to £50m to spend on transfers so we wouldn't get held to ransom for players. We ended up spending £105m.

And I absolutely agree re Harrison. Plus Koch, Rodrigo, Meislier, Raphinha, Lllorente, Greenwood, Gelhardt & Allen. The club business has been extraordinary.

Not a bad time to be a fan Mushy.

But theyll have more tv money next year to help pay those increased wages (assuming stay up anyway). Budgeting for 17th is more an indication of how they structure the deals. Yeah they "spent" 105m, but that's just the amount if all max amounts are hit. Very good way of doing it. They probably expect to stay up comfortably, but dont want to be stupid regarding the money side if it.

Definitely a good time to be a fan, certainly more reasons to be optimistic just dont want to get carried away just yet. Wait till get to play Man Utd at end of season to seal cl football...be off the rails then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Just saw the montage LUFC put up of Raphinha in the U23 game and I know it's just U23 but still, bearing in mind that pass to Harrison as well, I think we could have a real gem on our hands there. Obviously it's early days but he looks one hell of an exciting talent. I think Costa might be making way for him very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

We're not bigger than established PL teams yet. Others may have smaller budgets or are more frugal with them, have worse stadia or fan bases but they've been here and survived before. I'm sure Fulham spent more a few years ago than many big European teams (2nd highest net spend in PL) and Villa last year too (£144m) but it didn't suddenly mean they were competing with them. We need to show over 38 games that we are here to compete and then ideally improve from there in the next season or two. We are doing everything right and the future looks bright, but it's a while away.

Just a small note on the TV appearances stuff, BT and SKY bought rights to show 160 games originally. Now with COVID and all games being shown, if they screen every game that's 722 per season, so the £1m per game TV appearance money would have to drop.

I agree with all that, with just one proviso. We've got injury issues at the moment with Cooper, Lllorente and Phillips out yet we're seemingly able to cope. There's now depth to the squad, though a few more injuries and wee could have problems.

I always figured Radrizzani doesn't have a huge amount of money, certainly way behind the owners of most PL clubs. He never features in rich lists, his net worth isn't disclosed, he seems to have been involved in one business that was sold and now he runs a club. But runs it well. Frankly I'm far more comfortable with the way Leeds is run than if billionaires come in, one thinks of Man Utd, Blackburn etc and I would be very against the idea of the PSG owners or any of those Middle East sportswashing efforts.

I've seen a figure of €42.5m from 2018 but it's not reliable and as you say not a huge amount compared to other PL owners. Leeds, Burnley & Sheffield United the only clubs not owned by billionaires.

The York family, who own San Francisco 49ers, have an estimated worth of €340m and they're almost certainly going to increase their investment. Not sure how I feel about that given how excellently the club is run at the moment. Does a US takeover ruin that, even with Radrizzani remaining at the helm? Worse again if QSI buy in, as reported several times over thee past 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Attention Leeds Stattos: Was just reading that Liverpool scored their 10000th goal in all Competitions.....Anyone any idea how many goals Leeds have scored in all competitions? Looked on Google not getting much joy finding it

• Advertisement

Attention Leeds Stattos: Was just reading that Liverpool scored their 10000th goal in all Competitions.....Anyone any idea how many goals Leeds have scored in all competitions? Looked on Google not getting much joy finding it

Okay, we'll work backwards. We saw Bamford score 3 on Friday, then you had Rodrigo's equaliser against City so that's 4 anyway...;)

Using this Wikipedia page, to the end of last season we'd scored 5,876 league goals. Add in another 12 from this season to date and that's 5,888. No idea about goals in other competitions though, that would require a lot more digging.

ETA: And just doing a manual tot of the goals from this page, that's another 247. Add in another 7 from the Charity Shield and we're up to 6,142.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭championc

Of course, there was our participation in the JPT for a few seasons !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Minutes ater I post this the club offer the season-ticket holders a wonderful opportunity.....to have first dibs on buying a centenary £200 bottle of wine!!! :mad::mad::mad:

https://www.goodearthshop.co.uk/official-leeds-centenary-celebration-jeroboam-166-p.asp?utm_source=Leeds+United+Football+Club&utm_campaign=e45c01290b-20_05_06_47Headwear_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f22d19aac7-e45c01290b-213060853

Absolutely hilarious - you can't even choose red or white :pac: - it's a surprise.

championc wrote: »
    Of course, there was our participation in the JPT for a few seasons !!!

Absolutely, how could I forget that. I actually found a site that might help with the FA Cup, League Cup and JPT scores. I'll have a proper look after work and see if I can can come up with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Look on the bright side. At least we are not competing in the Papa Johns trophy this year. LOL.

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten that Leicester have to travel to Athens for tomorrow night's game. Hopefully some heavy legs on return and it's a pity we're not playing them on Sunday.

A few fixtures coming up against clubs I don't particularly hate, Leicester, Palace, Everton etc.

But December sees away trips to Chelsea and Lampard...as if anyone needed yet another reason to dislike them. And ManU managed by "the Baby Faced Assassin" (what a nickname, presume "weirdly overgrown 11 year old" was already taken). For the first time ever I'll look forward to that. Even in the Wilkinson and O'Leary days, looked at those games more in hope than expectation, but now Leeds is a better run club, a better managed team, and playing better football. And it's not even close.

Right, I've gone through all the results back to season 1920/21 and this is what I've come up with for total Leeds goals. Sadly the JPT isn't included on the website I used, but I'm sue we scored loads in that. :D

League 5,888
    FA Cup 394
    League Cup 316
    European 251
    Charity Shield 7
    Playoffs 10
    TOTAL 6,866

This is the website I used, in case anyone is interested in looking back at club history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

A few fixtures coming up against clubs I don't particularly hate, Leicester, Palace, Everton etc.

But December sees away trips to Chelsea and Lampard...as if anyone needed yet another reason to dislike them. And ManU managed by "the Baby Faced Assassin" (what a nickname, presume "weirdly overgrown 11 year old" was already taken). For the first time ever I'll look forward to that. Even in the Wilkinson and O'Leary days, looked at those games more in hope than expectation, but now Leeds is a better run club, a better managed team, and playing better football. And it's not even close.

Man U are weird though. They played against a high pressing team last night and absolutely spanked them. They are very good on the counter. Same with Leicester on Monday. They beat city and arsenal with the same tactics and I reckon they will try it against us. Sit back, absorb and Vardy on the break

Zaph wrote: »
    Right, I've gone through all the results back to season 1920/21 and this is what I've come up with for total Leeds goals. Sadly the JPT isn't included on the website I used, but I'm sue we scored loads in that. :D

League 5,888
    FA Cup 394
    League Cup 316
    European 251
    Charity Shield 7
    Playoffs 10
    TOTAL 6,866

This is the website I used, in case anyone is interested in looking back at club history.

Good work. And do the Liverpool figures include friendlies? Probably not, and they've got 27 extra years in terms of scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good news on Cooper, in the running to play on Monday!

Great.

Same back line as last time but move Koch to midfield?
    Start with same 11 except cooper for Alioski?
    Start Cooper in for Alioski and Shackleton in for Pascal?

Has a few options and I wouldnt even try to guess what MB is thinking. While Shackleton did well, he puts huge focus on training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

adaminho wrote: »

Jesus, that's horrific, same age as me... Poor fella

It's pretty awful. Saw someone suggesting he had motor neuron disease, but no idea how true that is. Have to say though that I don't remember him playing for Leeds at all. Irrespective of that, it's far too young to die. RIP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A win tomorrow night would be a real statement.

If there was any lingering surprise element to Leeds, it was blown away in trouncing Villa. Every team will treat the match ups as a serious challenge. Particularly Leicester which is a club that Leeds could try to emulate, well run, well managed, good transfer policy, not a top 4 but could beat any of them any day.

It could also put Leeds back in the top 3 or 4, a more genuine position than when they were there after beating a Villa, but having played a game more than most.

A win tomorrow night would be a real statement.

If there was any lingering surprise element to Leeds, it was blown away in trouncing Villa. Every team will treat the match ups as a serious challenge. Particularly Leicester which is a club that Leeds could try to emulate, well run, well managed, good transfer policy, not a top 4 but could beat any of them any day.

It could also put Leeds back in the top 3 or 4, a more genuine position than when they were there after beating a Villa, but having played a game more than most.

I'd be very disappointed not to win, and win well. Leicester have more injuries than us (Cooper is back) and travelled to Athens for a game last Thursday so shouldn't be too fresh. They're also slower, older and prone to yellow cards (nine in the last two PL games). Nullify Vardy and Maddison and we could give them a battering. 3-1 to Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Fully expect Leicester to sit back and soak up pressure and try to hurt us on the counter.

Going to be a frustrating night I think, but I'm optimistic for a win!

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Fully expect Leicester to sit back and soak up pressure and try to hurt us on the counter.

Going to be a frustrating night I think, but I'm optimistic for a win!

Worked for Wolves but that tactic only works if we don't go ahead by one or two. We're unlikely to misfire so badly in front of goal again. Thirteen shots, 68% possession and we lost against a massive deflection. Surely we can't be so lucky again?

Yeah, think it'll be similar to Wolves with Vardy and Barnes their quick counter attackers. We just need to take our chances as there will definitely be plenty. We don't have a great record against teams that sit back though.

Bad news

Leicester are looking to win five of their opening seven top-flight games in a season for the first time in their history.

They could equal the club top-flight record of four consecutive away victories.

Eleven of Leicester's 13 Premier League goals this season have come in the second half.

Jamie Vardy's last eight Premier League goals have all come away from home, including all six this season.

Vardy has scored 12 goals in his past 15 Premier League appearances against newly-promoted teams.

Good News

The Foxes have never won a Premier League away match on a Monday, drawing three and losing nine.

Leicester full-back Timothy Castagne is out with a hamstring problem, while Jonny Evans also missed the win over AEK Athens because of a stiff back.

Leeds have won 15 of their past 20 league matches, drawing two and losing three.

Since Marcelo Bielsa took charge in August 2018, only Liverpool and Manchester City have won more league matches in England's top four divisions than Leeds' 57.

Super-dooper Liam Cooper is back and Bamford is in the form of his life.

I think Leeds could win.

I just have no expectation. This is a really good Premier League side, one that won the title in recent years and should be in the CL, with some of the best players in England, who are well versed in playing at this level. Leeds are still the new boys, and as much as we like the settled players like Dallas and Ayling and exciting prospects like Raphinha, they have nothing like the depth of experience.

adaminho wrote: »

Very sad. Too young. Some brilliant performances for us.
    I think the Motor Neurone disease was starting to kick in during his last few matches with Leeds. Poor guy.

I think Leeds could win.

I just have no expectation. This is a really good Premier League side, one that won the title in recent years and should be in the CL, with some of the best players in England, who are well versed in playing at this level. Leeds are still the new boys, and as much as we like the settled players like Dallas and Ayling and exciting prospects like Raphinha, they have nothing like the depth of experience.

I think so too. If we rush them and give them no time on the ball, we can take this. Their defence will be poor because of injuries. But I would have said similar about Wolves. And Leicester are a better team than Wolves normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1323339095649611776

Cooper back, no Rodrigo or Raphina.

I'd have preferred cooper not to play today, I fear vardy up against him. Hopefully it wont happen. Klich playing same role he did after Struijk went off last game I assume, interesting to see how Hernandez gets on

Raphina injured, Rodrigo self isolating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Shame about Rodrigo and Raphinha, but it is what it is.

Particularly Rodrigo, he has been brilliant the last two games. As Mushy said I can see Cooper struggling against Vardy.

• Advertisement

Koch will be on him, Cooper sweeping up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

2 players out and our squad looks very light again... Nervous about this one lads....

Disaster start

90 mins of Leicester sitting back, catching us on the break

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

FFS....

We should be a goal up, yet we are a goal down. Good work Koch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

What a miss from Bamford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Another Koch mistake...

We're looking very shaky at the back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Absolute sitter missed then a Koch up at the back.

Could be a long night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Koch is so accident prone ....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement