Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is drinking milk with dinner weird?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Zeek12 wrote: »
    A great Irish tradition !

I couldn't not have a glass of milk with some dinners.
    Irish stew for one...

Replace the milk with a pint of Guinness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I don't do it .... nothing wrong with it
    Can't bate a stew with an ice cold glass of milk. Or a shepherds/cottage pie with the same and bread along with it. Full fat only. None of that discoloured water they call shkimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I do it ... nothing wrong with it
    Whilst make sure your milk is always pastuerised, if you can hold of nonhomogenised milk it's the business. That's the milk where the fat rises to the top, hard to get, some natural food stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Darc19 wrote: »
    Those of a certain vintage will fondly remember The Manhattan lounge just at the beginning of Rathmines.

It was the place to go at 4am and 5am after a night in leeson street.

A fry up with a pint of milk was the menu.
    Still there isn't it, renamed giggs palace or something

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have a pint of milk every morning with my breakfast and I am a fat ****er.

Do you also eat a load of cake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, that’s around the corner. ‘Manhattan’ has been gone for a long time now. Was some spot.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We had an au pair from Spain for a while. First week she was totally bewildered by the fact I drank milk with my dinner. By the end of her stint with us, she was at it too. Milk rocks. Full fat, from a Tetra Pak, not a plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Nope, long closed and the whole site around it is derelict.

Kelly's Corner probably a more correct address

Rumor has it that this is where "Malibu and Milk" was created

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-manhattan-cafe-where-u2-bibi-baskin-and-bon-jovi-dropped-in-for-egg-and-chips-1.3894645

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Can't bate a feed of cabbage, boiled hairy bacon and a pint of milk in a harp glass

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

I must try drinking milk with curry. Usually don't drink anything with my meal.

No! Don't actually 'drink' the milk with your curry, pour it over the tasty meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Can't bate a feed of cabbage, boiled hairy bacon and a pint of milk in a harp glass
    The last pint of milk i had out was served to me in a Bulmers glass in a cafe in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

COVID wrote: »
    No! Don't actually 'drink' the milk with your curry, pour it over the tasty meal.

Can I mix cream through or does it have to be milk ? Sometimes as a treat I put cream in my porridge and brown sugar. Pure heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Chinese takeaway can only be eaten with a pint of milk Avonmore preferably. Nearest thing to milk we had when we were young that would leave you with a white moustache on of cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Can I mix cream through or does it have to be milk ? Sometimes as a treat I put cream in my porridge and brown sugar. Pure heaven.

Sure, that should be fine. Try throwing on some orange peel too!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

It's a yes for me. Not with every meal.. but I always have milk when I'm eating spuds. It's a Culchie tradition and I especially love sighing out a big "aaahhh" after a big gulp of Bainne followed by wiping the milk from my lips and beard with my sleeve, like a true Culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I’ve done it once and it is the most filing thing ever. No idea how people can do it. Sitting there with a pint of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

A big glass of milk after a pizza is unreal. Such a good combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sorolla wrote: »
    I’ve heard it said that when the Irish arrived in America during the famine the Americans are astonished at how healthy the Irish lads looked and gone teeth on them.

This is a direct result of eating the spuds with milk

How could you look healthy after coming from a famine stricken country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Another big yes from me. Milk is great for the after dinner wash down. I wouldn't agree it's just a culchie thing. Us Dubs are mad for the milk chaser after grub. From school to college I witnessed it. Then again I remember getting a small bottle of milk everyday in primary school to wash down the free sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Have yourself a good hot Indian meal with a glass of water and milk in front of you. See which you go for first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement