Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2017, 19:22   #61
eternal31

I'm new to this area. Is it a good, safe area? I search ballyogan and saw a few negative review. "high rate of child smoking and high rate of fighting and drug use" Is it true? There are also a few reported crimes there.

I was told Leopardstown is a good area and it's also close to Foxrock, Sandymount. I was actually surprised to see those review.
Advertisement
18-08-2017, 06:53   #62
qrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal31 View Post
I'm new to this area. Is it a good, safe area? I search ballyogan and saw a few negative review. "high rate of child smoking and high rate of fighting and drug use" Is it true? There are also a few reported crimes there.

I was told Leopardstown is a good area and it's also close to Foxrock, Sandymount. I was actually surprised to see those review.
Leopardstown is a posh area. But dont be fooled by the address, this is Ballyogan.
(2) thanks from:
18-08-2017, 10:26   #63
eternal31

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrx View Post
Leopardstown is a posh area. But dont be fooled by the address, this is Ballyogan.
Thanks for your reply. So this new development is part of Ballyogan area rather than Leopardstown area? The boundary between them is not clear.
18-08-2017, 11:07   #64
ionapaul

It's on the Ballyogan Road, close to some large council estates - but is a separate development. It is equally close to some very nice private estates that are somewhat posh.

When it is complete, a through-road from just outside Clay Farm is going to link the Ballyogan Road and Stepaside village, which will be cool.
18-08-2017, 11:24   #65
p15574

In a similar way, Monkstown Farm is a council estate, but I don't think it affects house prices much elsewhere in Monkstown...
Advertisement
18-08-2017, 11:59   #66
qrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal31 View Post
Thanks for your reply. So this new development is part of Ballyogan area rather than Leopardstown area? The boundary between them is not clear.
Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road and beside Foxrock. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.

Last edited by qrx; 18-08-2017 at 12:05.
18-08-2017, 12:08   #67
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.
IMO Leopardstown is roughly the area in red below, this new development is roughly the blue.

Thanks from:
18-08-2017, 12:16   #68
markpb

Vague geographical boundaries aren't going to help here. A quick look at the two areas will show you what they're like.
Attached Images
File Type: png leoparstown.PNG (591.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: png ballyogan.PNG (408.0 KB, 243 views)
Thanks from:
18-08-2017, 12:21   #69
astrofool

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
IMO Leopardstown is roughly the area in red below, this new development is roughly the blue.

I think the residents of Torquay road would feel different , Westminster lawns (foxrock) and Rocwood (Blackrock) are also within the red.

Leopardstown has effectively migrated over the valley to Glencairn/Murphystown road.

Clay Farm will probably be similar to "Killiney" that borders Ballybrack, the prices will reflect this.
Advertisement
18-08-2017, 12:44   #70
qrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Vague geographical boundaries aren't going to help here. A quick look at the two areas will show you what they're like.
A better photo of Ballogan would be a photo of smashed windows in the school.
18-08-2017, 12:55   #71
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
I think the residents of Torquay road would feel different , Westminster lawns (foxrock) and Rocwood (Blackrock) are also within the red.

Leopardstown has effectively migrated over the valley to Glencairn/Murphystown road.

Clay Farm will probably be similar to "Killiney" that borders Ballybrack, the prices will reflect this.
Torquay Road would be foxrock yea. I did say roughly!
18-08-2017, 22:26   #72
BBMcQ

Quote:
Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road and beside Foxrock. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.
Don't agree with this. The Gallops were built in Leopardstown in 1990 way before the M50 was plonked down between it and the racecourse (which is only about 100-200 yards as the crow flies). The historical Glencairn estate was built in de facto Leopardstown in the early 1900s. Ballyogan brings a lot of undesirability to the entire area but it is a small area that lends its name to a big road. The M50 doesn't just suddenly splinter off an area which has always belonged to Leopardstown. Maybe the Leopardstown Heights name could have been used more effectively for the wider area. Just my two cents, not interested in a back n forth.
(2) thanks from:
20-08-2017, 00:07   #73
Dearg81

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal31
It's not close to Sandymount for starters. Leopardstown is a very nice area overall but this estate would be close to a lot of old council houses so it's less desirable. Being close to Ballyogan is a negative in my opinion although it's not as bad an area as it used to be.

You need to go spend some time there as another poster said, go look around the estate and the leopardstown shopping centre but if you're expecting foxrock or Sandymount then you're gonna be very disappointed.
20-08-2017, 10:23   #74
Nika Bolokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearg81 View Post
It's not close to Sandymount for starters. Leopardstown is a very nice area overall but this estate would be close to a lot of old council houses so it's less desirable. Being close to Ballyogan is a negative in my opinion although it's not as bad an area as it used to be.

You need to go spend some time there as another poster said, go look around the estate and the leopardstown shopping centre but if you're expecting foxrock or Sandymount then you're gonna be very disappointed.
I've lived in Leopardstown a good few years and would have no concern about Ballyogan. It's very quiet, people make negative comments simply because it's council housing.

Ballyogan is very well kept and shouldn't really be to much of a concern if looking at clay farm.

When there was some social housing to be put into the Gallops housing estate there was uproar and people wanted 24 hour manned security etc monitoring the council tenants ( you can still find these discussions on Google). No good cause for putting down ballyogan or assuming a council estate resembles a gang area in Los Angeles.
20-08-2017, 11:24   #75
Dearg81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Bolokov
When there was some social housing to be put into the Gallops housing estate there was uproar and people wanted 24 hour manned security etc monitoring the council tenants ( you can still find these discussions on Google). No good cause for putting down ballyogan or assuming a council estate resembles a gang area in Los Angeles.
I'm glad you like the area but people are entitled to disagree with you Nika. I live in the area my whole life so I know it better than you. As I said it's not as bad as it used to be but I still wouldn't like to live there. I'm not a big fan of boarded up houses for starters but we're going off topic.

With regards council housing in Clay Farm. People just prefer not to live next door to one and yes I agree most of them go over board with their concerns. Most new estates have a certain amount of social housing now so people just have to accept it if they are buying new builds.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion