Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird remains id

Options
  • 18-06-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    A friend of mine came across the remains here in the local woods. Looks like it might be a juvenile raptor of some kind judging by the feet?
    483070.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Any indication of size? Even so, judging by thickness of legs I would guess it's the remains of a young Buzzard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Any indication of size? Even so, judging by thickness of legs I would guess it's the remains of a young Buzzard.....

The person who came across it said it was about the size of a chicken. She sent the picture to Birdwatch Ireland which said it was a pigeon!?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A pigeon? With those talons??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It could be a pigeon, they do look similar.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1. Those are yellow, the pigeon's aren't.
    2. The claws/nails/talons are black, the pigeon's aren't.
    3. The skin is much coarser than the pigeon's.
    4. The sheer size of them, compared to the pigeon's!
    5. The shape of the toes is totally different, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Almost certainly a young Buzzard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

killed or died and then eaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

fryup wrote: »
    killed or died and then eaten?

Maybe only just left the nest and easy prey for a fox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mordeith wrote: »
    Maybe only just left the nest and easy prey for a fox?
    I would say so. Maybe fell out before it was fledged. The feathers look very downy.
    Its a very large bird for a chick, so buzzard seems likely.

Advertisement