Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for young people on campervans

Options
  • 29-05-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    I'm looking to buy a cheap converted van on donedeal or the like. Before I do any purchasing I want to find out whether I am able to be insured.
    I'm 19 years old with a full licence. I've had this licence for a year. I have been a named driver on my parents cars for 2 years with no claims. I've never had my own personal insurance.
    My plan is to buy this van and drive to Morocco over a month trip. I understand the difficulty of this and I'm ready to cut Morocco out of the trip and just do France, Spain and Portugal if necessary.
    I've phoned a few insurance companies with no luck(but I'm not sure if I was asking the right questions). I am willing to pay a very high premium but it's whether I can be insured at all that I am worried about.
    My questions are:
    1-Do I have to get campervan insurance and not regular van insurance on a converted van?
    2-What companies might insure a 19 year old on a campervan?
    3-If there are any companies that would insure me, would they insure me in the Eu?
    4-Would any companies insure me to drive internationally (Morocco)?
    5-Would it help if my parents got insured and I was a named driver?
    6-Also I have heard of motor caravan clubs and things like that. Would membership be able to help me in any way?
    Thanks for reading:)

Advertisement