Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Questions , CVRT , Mechanics etc

Options
  • 16-05-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all -Have just bought an old 1993 high top vwT4 camper (autosleeper trident) It needs a bit of light restoration to get through the test , and want to do as much as possible myself. It was parked up for 2 years and want to get running smoothly, safety is a priority as will be travelling with two young kids. Van is starting and running well, brakes are ok etc, but cant drive as insurance will not cover me until valid CVRT is present.

Things that definitely need doing

* Light Surface rust
    * New tires (all corners )
    * New drivers side door
    * Full servicing
    * gas lift struts on the roof
    * New window seals
    * Interior bits and pieces.

Few questions:

Door: Have sourced a replacement drivers door that I plan on fitting this weekend, although I cant seem to find anything online as a guide, assume its straightforward enough ?( new door already has glass and door card) Will a door from a long nose T4 fit a short nose?

Wheels / Tires: Need to find a decent set of load rated alloy wheels and tires to finish it off nicely, any recommendations without breaking the bank? Would also be interested in some nice banded steel rims.

Rust: The chassis is wax oiled so should be ok, a bit worried that there might be some underlying rust going on, but cant find a mobile mechanic to come and do a pre test inspection AND service...any recommendations? Im going to take care of the surface rust by grinding back to bare metal, treating with fertan or kurust, then prime. Im going to combi color roller paint the whole van eventually.

Also need to find a cheap way to get the van from ballinteer to the test centre in Ballymount once the work is done, tow truck will probably be pricey enough especially f I need a return trip?

Any other advise or recommendations on mobile mechanics, T4 experts, or rust repair contact ( if a inspection uncovers something rim)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

No experience with t4s or VWs but do with campers!
    Could you not service the van yourself? I don't see the point in getting a mechanic to check it over then send it for the CVRT. Put it through the test and then get anything that needs sorting looked at.
    Where are you getting the cvrt done? I had a bad experience with spanners previously. I've had good experiences with automotive services in park West. They will also do repairs as well as being a test centre.
    If you have any welding needed, try reactive welding. They're near to ballymount too. Tell them Simon with the blue bongo sent you!
    Also post pics, I've a thread in projects and builds, including roller painting my van

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Simona1986 wrote: »
    No experience with t4s or VWs but do with campers!
    Could you not service the van yourself? I don't see the point in getting a mechanic to check it over then send it for the CVRT. Put it through the test and then get anything that needs sorting looked at.
    Where are you getting the cvrt done? I had a bad experience with spanners previously. I've had good experiences with automotive services in park West. They will also do repairs as well as being a test centre.
    If you have any welding needed, try reactive welding. They're near to ballymount too. Tell them Simon with the blue bongo sent you!
    Also post pics, I've a thread in projects and builds, including roller painting my van

Being honest I'm time crunched to get this thing on the road for the summer and thought Id save a day of head scratching by getting a qualified professional to service it and make sure its safe, in the future will service myself for sure.

I haven't booked in the test yet, was thinking Spanners but now may look at automotive services, thanks for the pointer, will actually give them a buzz today. The reason I would be keen to get as much work done prior to CVRT and avoid the retest is that Insurer wont touch me until I have a valid CVRT, I don't really want to start forking out for multiple round trips to the test center on the back of a tow truck if I can avoid it. Good shout on the reactive welding, hopefully I wont need them :-/

Will post some pics later today, not pretty yet but hopefully wont take too long to turn it around and have something quality at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Bit of an update ,rang Trevor from reactive welding last week ,came out early on Saturday morning and gave the van a looking over , absolute gent and very knowledgeable. I was worried about the extent of the rust until he laughed when he saw it and said it’s barely a 1 out of 10 for rust issues ...so plan is to get it out to the reactive welding workshop in two weeks a time and start resolution of body work and rust issues ..hopefully won’t break the bank as I’ll be doing some of the grunt work

Other things that popped up over the weekend ,alternator belt snapped just reversing into driveway ,looks like the oil pan gasket is gone also, lot of leaking..needs a good going over by mechanic before I go any further ,not comfortable with it myself as it’s been parked up so probably some hidden issues

Still need to find somebody that would work on an old t4 engine and do a mobile assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I get my camper tested in Murphy trucks ballymount they also do servicing and repairs any time they found a problem its been a real issue they give it a good test and don't take the mickey

Advertisement