Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched 3 episodes in one sitting to get into it and it's pretty good. Both very like and unlike Stranger Things simultaneously.

The dubbing is horrible, though - bizarrely the dubbing in Ep3 is pretty good with the newer characters, but the first two are awful - think of your typical anime/cartoon dubbed for western audiences.

Had to watch the first 3 dubbed, will be a bit strange switching to subtitles now but the weight of a lot of scenes is clearly lost completely with the dubbing.

Really enjoyed it but hated the ending. Had faith throughout they wouldn't go that route for the end but they did. I guess they kind of had to though
    so we see what Jonas was talking about with the future being bad

A lot still left to explain like who
    Noah
    really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

is it in english

cena wrote: »
    is it in english

Can be if you set audio to english, but I watched in german with subs after 5 minutes of the 1st episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm 3 episodes in and it's just not grabbing me. The music is so, so bad! I listen with headphones so maybe it's not so bad who don't do this, but it's just jarring and so often out of place, and that's just the score providing atmosphere. They also seem to shoehorn music into scenes, especially the ones set in
    like during the the
    sheep autopsy. I get it, it's 1986, I don't need to be reminded by pointless music that just detracts from the scene

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've just watched the first one which I thought was fairly creepy. It's like a blend of Stranger Things, Wayward Pines, The Returned and The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Finished S01 and really enjoyed it. Some hard watching (
    we all agree about the brick
    , but I thought the acting and the setting were excellent. I also thought it was great that while there is the
    timetravel
    arch, each character has a distinct past and present, that all are explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Wow I'm glad I found this thread because after just finishing episode 1 I'm not now hooked and thanks to people using the spoiler tag in this thread to keep me entertained for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I thought it was very good, hard to know who was who at times but, I personally enjoyed it much more than I did 'Stranger Things'.

On mobile so can't spoiler, I'll post more whenever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is really good, you have to pay attention and use your brain or one would get lost.
    Netflix continues to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It wasn't really grabbing me at the start but eps 4-7 I really got into.

Think it lost its way then again the last few episodes, it got a bit muddled.

If it doesn't get renewed then it was all a giant waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Pelvis wrote: »
    If it doesn't get renewed then it was all a giant waste of time.
    It has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

4 episodes in I must admit to getting a wee bit confused about who is who when it jumps back and forth but definitely rewards paying a lot of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

gmisk wrote: »
    4 episodes in I must admit to getting a wee bit confused about who is who when it jumps back and forth but definitely rewards paying a lot of attention

it's worth keeping tabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

How can Jonas end up in the future when he's stuck in that room which doesn't allow his future self to create the black hole.

Very good overall but it did lose a bit of momentum in the last quarter of the series. Will watch season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think it lost momentum but more so one knew what was actually happening.

gmisk wrote: »

Definitely worth watching it the second time. Nearly finished rewatching it. Only copped that the guard being the same head of force of the town going back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just finished it now.

Great show, keeps you hooked and wanting more, though the ending, especially the last line was cheesy.

I love the music, fwiw, very atmospheric.

Noah is a fascinating character. I wish they explained more about his backstory and his machine.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I love the Ulrich storyline.
    When he goes back to 1953 and he tries to kill Hegle, we know exactly why he's doing it but it was also fascinating to see him explaining himself to people in that time his reasons for doing so, which are rational considering what he's going through. It's only normal that Egon would think he's bonkers and that he was connected to the two dead kids found at the building site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

5 episodes in and it’s one of the best shows on Netflix. It’s so refreshing to watch a show of its calibre without an American life slant. More realistic characters, dialogue more relevant to Europe and less nostalgia nonsense.

The music really adds to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was only able to watch episode 6 last night. Argh wanted to binge it! After episode 5 it’s hard not to question anything and anyone.

Here’s another thing I love about the show. In other shows, when there is a ramp up or a reveal or supernatural or mysterious events, it human relationships tend to take a back seat. But with this show it’s the opposite. The proverbial “Scheisse” has hit the fan in a lot of the character relationships causing a boiling over of the tension

Brilliant stuff.

Finished the show last night. Loved it but I did feel the finale episode was a bit of a let down as it didn’t really wrap anything up. That aside it’s definitely one of the best TV shows in a long time.

The character of Ulrich was my favourite character arc and love how they made a dislikable person, likeable.

Episode 8.... We’d never see that in an American tv show.

Looking forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Watched the entire season over the last week, the whole family were engrossed, even my teenage kids who normally have their heads buried in their iPhones. The dubbed version was a little off-putting, we actually had the subtitles turned on as well :) (they was a lot more swearing in the dubbed version).

Quite difficult to follow at times, but worth the effort, especially as the season wore on and they
    kept intertwining the timelines
    . What struck me is that almost all of the characters were 'bad' in some way, nearly all of them had skeletons in the cupboard (some a lot more than others).

Jonas was the most sympathetic character, but even he
    made the choice not to save Mikkel and bring him home from the past
    . I felt very sorry for Helge and how he ended up.

Noah reminded me a lot of
    Damian from The Omen - perhaps he is the Antichrist?

The end of the season have a very
    'Stalker'-ish
    feel for anyone that's played the game. It borrows a lot from Stranger Things, Twin Peaks, It, even Back to the Future, but the creators did an excellent job of telling a right good yarn. Season 2 will be very interesting
    4 timelines instead of 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Noah reminded me a lot of
    Damian from The Omen - perhaps he is the Antichrist?
    I think it was hinted at as to who 'Noah' is.
    In 1953, Agnes Nielsen told Mrs. Tiedemann (Egon's wife) that her husband was a priest, but not a man of faith, he wasn't a good person and that it was good that he was dead.

'Noah' is a priest, certainly is not a man of faith and has no problem doing bad things to innocent people. I don't think his real name was ever revealed.

Agnes might consider him to be dead because he disappeared through the time portal.

If this is correct then the family lineage is 'Noah' -> Tronte -> Ulrich -> Mikkel -> Jonas.

Talisman wrote: »
    I think it was hinted at as to who 'Noah' is.
    In 1953, Agnes Nielsen told Mrs. Tiedemann (Egon's wife) that her husband was a priest, but not a man of faith, he wasn't a good person and that it was good that he was dead.

'Noah' is a priest, certainly is not a man of faith and has no problem doing bad things to innocent people. I don't think his real name was ever revealed.

Agnes might consider him to be dead because he disappeared through the time portal.

If this is correct then the family lineage is 'Noah' -> Tronte -> Ulrich -> Mikkel -> Jonas.

My money is on Noah being
    Bartosz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

faceman wrote: »
    My money is on Noah being
    Bartosz
    I had considered that but they have different coloured eyes and I have a feeling that the eye colour has some significance.
    Noah has blue eyes.
    Bartosz has brown eyes.
    Claudia has one blue and one brown eye.
    What eye colour does Jonas have?

The construction site in 1953:
    The bodies of two kids were found. They were wearing clothes from the 2019 time period (all clothes were made in China). The coroner said that one of them had Arab features.

In 1953 what would be considered Arab features?
    The eye, skin colour, the nose perhaps - Bartosz has brown eyes, olive skin and the middle-eastern bump on his nose. The nose bump isn't pronounced but it is there.

Another wild idea I've had after the final episode:
    Michael isn't dead or has another part to play in the story. The Stranger told Jonas that Michael saved his life but he didn't realise it at the time. I don't think we've seen this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Sick with the Aussie Flu and binged this over the last 2 days. What a cracking cracking show!
    Felt a bit short changed by the ending too. Nothing resolved and a bit cheesy but on reflection...wow, just wow!

I've never been able to watch foreign stuff with subtitles and wouldn't bother with dubbed versions. Dark has changed that for me. I feel liberated. :p I tried watching one of the episodes dubbed, it was awful. Now I can't wait to get stuck into some other foreign language shows. Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

The Killing and The Bridge are excellent(Netflix), Deutschland 83 was pretty good too. (4oD)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished this last night. I really, really enjoyed it. I have a feeling I'll rewatch almost immediately, just because there was so much going on and I still don't have it all straight in my head.

Like others, though, I honestly don't know how anyone could watch the dubbed version. I was about to give up on it after about five minutes because I found the dubbing so distracting til I noticed the little audio icon at the top of the screen and realised I could change it.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    (they was a lot more swearing in the dubbed version).

Even with my almost-forgotten Leaving Cert German I noticed that they replaced some of the German curses with milder English equivalents - where the character said "Shit" the subtitle would read "rubbish", for instance. Not really sure why they bothered, considering there was plenty of actual cursing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Struggled with the 1st episode....shot well but acting was poor and seems quiet depressing. Should i give up now if i didn't enjoy it or give it more time?

Advertisement