Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these please

Options
  • 11-06-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Descend like vultures and devour all the food for little birds - Any way to get rid of them? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

loco-colo wrote: »
    Descend like vultures and devour all the food for little birds - Any way to get rid of them? Thanks.

Picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭loco-colo

Picture

picture

Juvenile Starlings.

Try again

• Advertisement

Thanks - they seem to be all over the place - I used never have them - right little b*#tards they are - they savage all the food for little birds in minutes.

Thanks - they seem to be all over the place - I used never have them - right little b*#tards they are - they savage all the food for little birds in minutes.

Well to be fair they are little enough themselves and they also do great work aerating the soil and gobbling up leatherjackets https://www.rolawn.co.uk/leatherjackets from under the lawn.

Sorry Del Monte - the only saving grace they have for me is that they are God's creatures - even that is not enough - I am out to get rid of them - however I can.

I spend a lot of dosh on bird food - 40 quid the other day - mealworms are 18 per bag - and these feckers devour them as quickly as I put them out - they attack feeders and eventually crack them - I am on their case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you put out food for the birds, the birds eat the food, and now you hate the birds.
    be careful what you wish for, eh?

your 'i am out to get rid of them, however i can' is worrying though.

• Advertisement

No - I am trying to feed the little birds and not the bullies that eat their lunch - the food on the lawn was just to get a photo.

I used to put out a load of stuff for them - but it was never enough - they would then attack the feeders for the little ones - I don't like bullies - feathered or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No - I am trying to feed the little birds and not the bullies that eat their lunch - the food on the lawn was just to get a photo.

I used to put out a load of stuff for them - but it was never enough - they would then attack the feeders for the little ones - I don't like bullies - feathered or otherwise.

You are anthromorphising too much. Food is there, all sort of birds will try to take advantage of it. What's next? The Robins are depriving the Blue Tits, so will have to go? Greenfinches force chaffinches away from the food, so out they go?

Yeah - I can understand that ... I have a wife

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Juvenile Starlings.
    Yep devil's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Thread closed, after two particularly unconstructive comments in a row. Suffice it to say that, though Starlings aren't always the most popular of birds, there's some serious cognitive dissonance going on to be furious with their presence and yet to be wanting to attract 'little birds'.

They're a species that is declining in almost every country in Europe, except Ireland, and try as you might to convince yourself that they're impacting the other small birds, the fact is that they aren't! If Robins, Blue Tits and Goldfinches couldn't handly a bit of argy-bargy at the feeders, they'd have died out a long time ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement