Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Sorry but I can’t read anyone who voted in that pathetic petitions posts seriously cos they ‘wouldn’t be satisfied until B&W’s future works are derailed’. I mean come on.

Did you read the statement by the guy who made the petition? I'll paste it below.

As this petition approaches (EDIT: surpasses!) a million signatures, I figured I should give a real update and explanation.

I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, “The Last of the Starks”, aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, “Hey, is this you?” The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn’t checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come!

I haven’t heard from anyone HBO-related. I don’t think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger’s Joker once said, “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I’ve been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I’ve read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let’s be real) has been handled.

Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn’t exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I’d doubt it, but that’s GRRM’s decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it’s HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and “everybody is stupid” syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin.

D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice.

I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are.

And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show.

In closing, I didn’t make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I’ve got plenty of ideas, but no, I’m not a Hollywood writer. But you don’t need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

Valar Morghulis

-Dylan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If only these morons got as upset and active about real world problems in their localities and countries.

The stupidity and arrogance is astounding. Any clown signing it is beneath contempt.

Free tickets available to this. It’s on in Glasnevin talent garden. June 20th
    Look up talent garden on fb

Join us for this special seminar with Jonathan Symmonds, multi-award winner and Lead Animator at Pixomondo for Game of Thrones, as he shares insights into the production, creation and animation of the dragons of Game of Thrones. He will showcase how the dragons were conceived from initial concept to final designs, including details about anatomy and texture reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Did you read the statement by the guy who made the petition? I'll paste it below.

As this petition approaches (EDIT: surpasses!) a million signatures, I figured I should give a real update and explanation.

I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, “The Last of the Starks”, aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, “Hey, is this you?” The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn’t checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come!

I haven’t heard from anyone HBO-related. I don’t think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger’s Joker once said, “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I’ve been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I’ve read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let’s be real) has been handled.

Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn’t exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I’d doubt it, but that’s GRRM’s decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it’s HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and “everybody is stupid” syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin.

D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice.

I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are.

And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show.

In closing, I didn’t make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I’ve got plenty of ideas, but no, I’m not a Hollywood writer. But you don’t need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

Valar Morghulis

-Dylan

I'd say it is pretty rare that people set out with the intention of being entitled but that's what their act ends up being.

Fair play for owning it and 'going viral', but it says a lot about where we are as a society that an appropriate way to vent is seen to be demanding that an art form is remade to their liking (whether they think their request would ever happen or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Doesn't really matter who signed what, Seasons 7-8 are still sucky messes using expensive set pieces as a mask for good writing & scripting. Now let's all get our coat and take our favourite pet to the vet tomorrow to give it the quick dignified end it sorely needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That petition is cringe inducing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Stupidity and arrogance."

"Beneath contempt."

"Cringe-inducing."

The outrage about the petition is more embarrassing than people actually signing it. Vast majority are probably signing it for a laugh or to be part of a meme. Taking it so seriously is ridiculous.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd say it is pretty rare that people set out with the intention of being entitled but that's what their act ends up being.

Fair play for owning it and 'going viral', but it says a lot about where we are as a society that an appropriate way to vent is seen to be demanding that an art form is remade to their liking (whether they think their request would ever happen or not).

Well said.

Has it not occurred to anyone how transient and fleeting these outrage events seem to be? The last Jedi. Onto endgame. Onto game of thrones.

Same MO each time. Endless moaning and outrage and a of course a petition.

Where will they go now? Nothing big happening until Christmas.

J. Marston wrote: »

"Beneath contempt."

"Cringe-inducing."

The outrage about the petition is more embarrassing than people actually signing it. Vast majority are probably signing it for a laugh or to be part of a meme. Taking it so seriously is ridiculous.

Have a read through this thread. The last few pages in particular.
    That much commitment to whinging. About a tv show. Up to and including people signing that petition seriously, Is actually ridiculous

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980606/14/#post110225357

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Have a read through this thread. The last few pages in particular.
    That much commitment to whinging. About a tv show. Up to and including people signing that petition seriously, Is actually ridiculous

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980606/14/#post110225357

But whinging about whinging about a tv show isn't ridiculous?

There's also plenty of posts you could say are whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show in this thread. Of course there are also rebuttals to such posts (yourself included), which are whinging about whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show

There's also plenty of posts you could say are whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show. Of course there are rebuttals to such posts, which are whinging about whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show

You’re dead right. Just always wonder why bother. Don’t like it? Move on.
    Nobody has ever changed anybody’s mind by complaining. Vast majority of people who enjoy something just don’t engage or even bother. They like it and move on.
    The ones who don’t like stuff though, they’ll rail against it and anyone who liked it, seemingly endlessly.

There's also plenty of posts you could say are whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show in this thread. Of course there are also rebuttals to such posts (yourself included), which are whinging about whinging about whinging about whinging about a tv show

Whinging is one thing but how sad would you think a person would be to go to the effort of creating a petition demanding boards delete and recreate the thread because it didn't go the way they hoped?

Pure entitlement and attention seeking is very different to plain old whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

yu159lgsq4z21.jpg

"Beneath contempt."

"Cringe-inducing."

It won't get close to being as embarrassing until one of those posters creates a petition against the petition :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"Beneath contempt."

"Cringe-inducing."

Outrage?

That word had lost all meaning if you think I'm 'outraged' by some cringey internet petition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is the place people would come to discuss liking or disliking things pertaining to the Game Of Thrones TV show.

If you didn't write this season... Don't worry about the criticisms on... um... Boards!

yu159lgsq4z21.jpg

He’s got about 5 toys I’d love to have!

I can see why Netflix are pumping money into these choose your own adventure stories now.

Nobody can complain about the ending of the writing. Just their own crappy choices.

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is the place people would come to discuss liking or disliking things pertaining to the Game Of Thrones TV show.

If you didn't write this season... Don't worry about the criticisms on... um... Boards!

Yes, this is one of the many, many understandable avenues to discuss and vent about what you like or don't like about the show. In the same vein, we're also free to comment on the ridiculous petition related to the show, especially as it has been used repeatedly as a (weak) attempt to justify and extrapolate audience opinions.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yes, this is one of the many, many understandable avenues to discuss and vent about what you like or don't like about the show. In the same vein, we're also free to comment on the ridiculous petition related to the show, especially as it has been used repeatedly as a (weak) attempt to justify and extrapolate audience opinions.

Of course this is the place to discuss that, too. I think that petition is as lame as the last episode.

But there's a bit of playing the man and not the ball against the people who don't like this season.

• Advertisement

Our watch will soon end

Whingers incoming :)

80 mins to stick a landing and she's coming in HOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Our watch will soon end

Whingers incoming :)
    One more sleep.

Hope we can all be reasonable and keep a civil tongue after it :)
    So, which one of these is really you?

I want a truly miserable ending.

Dany on the throne at the end, completely alone and broken. Jon dead. Arya dead. Sansa bends the knee to keep Winterfell from getting the same treatment as King's Landing. Tyrion kills himself for backing a tyrant and the resulting massacre.

Go on, GoT. Make me cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I’m looking forward to getting my Monday’s with the internet back after Tomorrow night lol

I’m gonna binge watch season 8 next weekend too and I can’t wait for the soundtrack release tomorrow night too

I’m so sad it’s all over though the only other shows that got me like this were
    Buffy, friends and breaking bad

Dany on the throne at the end, completely alone and broken. Jon dead. Arya dead. Sansa bends the knee to keep Winterfell from getting the same treatment as King's Landing. Tyrion kills himself for backing a tyrant and the resulting massacre.

Go on, GoT. Make me cry!

I want the last shot/scene to be drogon flying off into the sunset with dragon babies with the epic music playing lol I’m pretty sure were in for a miserable experience though lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Go on, GoT. Make me cry!

Only truly tearful moment was the savage burning of Shireen Baratheon!:(

Hot Pie for king.

is_that_so wrote: »

Hodor?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't particularly care who lives and who dies, who ends up sitting on the iron throne, or how unexpected, bleak or shocking it is.

At this stage I just want whatever the outcome is to be at least somewhat credible and earned, not some random, shoe horned twist that's shocking for the sake of being shocking.

Please don't pull a Dexter.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly care who lives and who dies, who ends up sitting on the iron throne, or how unexpected, bleak or shocking it is.

At this stage I just want whatever the outcome is to be at least somewhat credible and earned, not some random, shoe horned twist that's shocking for the sake of being shocking.

Please don't pull a Dexter.

Won’t be a twist. Or even unusual. Can already guess where the pieces will fall and end up. Just hope it is fitting as you said. Tonally as well. Bring the characters to their natural end point.

is_that_so wrote: »

That and Theon's last stand got me. Dany losing it last week got me close though.

Ned losing his head, the Red Wedding and Oberyn left me in a state of shock more than anything.

Fùck I"m going to miss this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I think a combination of user reviews on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, critical reviews, and broad reception on discussion platforms are good metrics, when all combined together. With all those in mind, Breaking Bad's final season was extremely well received across the board.

Take Black Panther. I agreed, critically totally over-rated to a baffling extent. However, user scores on IMDB are 7.3, and on Rotten Tomatoes, also 79% - I think they're fair and reflect general opinion that's also held on places like Boards, Reddit, Imgur, wherever. A decent movie but nothing special.

Compare Breaking Bad S5. It has 99% user review on RT, and allso a 9.9/10 average on IMDB for Felina, the last episode, with a season average of something like 9.2. That's broadly in line with general reaction in online discussion platforms.

That's not to say everyone loved it of course. The best movies have critics, the worst movies have fans, particularly in the digital age.

It's important to combine multiple metrics to get a broadly true picture. GOT S8 (since E03) has general weak critical reviews, mixed user reviews, and the ratings on RT and IMDB are the lowest in the franchise. That's not confirmation bias, it just it what it is.

For example, Avatar is the highest growing movie of all time, The Walking Dead at one point had the largest viewership; neither are considered brilliant despite this, but just looking at other metrics like critical reviews, user reviews, online reaction, tells you this.

Unplug the internet this is the post of the year

Someone just pointed out elsewhere that Daenerys roasting Randyll Tarly and Dickon was meant to be real foreshadowing about her going nuts. This is particularly clear since Tyrion asked her not to kill Randyll, and looked shocked when she does so, and the manner in which Sam is devastated hearing the news of their deaths this season.

It hadn't occurred to me that she offered Randyll a choice. He had rebelled against his overload (the Tyrells) and claimed the murderer (Cersei) of his overload as his queen. He could be forgiven if he switched allegiance to Daenerys (but he wouldn't as she was a foreigner backed by "savages").

As he refused allegiance he was offered the exact same choice as the one Randyll offered to Sam, his son - take the black or die. Sam chose to take the black and live, Randyll didn't and chose to die. So, that's meant to be foreshadowing? The more you think about it, the weaker this character development gets.

Never bought into that as foreshadowing. She offered them two chances to spare their lives, Pair of stubborn proud fools refused both and burned.

how.gareth wrote: »
    Unplug the internet this is the post of the year

One thing I think people get pissy about that’s harder on fantasy/si-fi shows is fan theory’s when things don’t get resolved or resolved in a way that they don’t like or accept like the night king or bran stuff they go ape****.

Same thing happened to lost

It’s also perfectly natural for a show to decline in the later years if this is the GOT decline hell ill take it compared to other long running shows it’s done really really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This reminds me more of The Last Jedi than Lost. Lost just completely, ahem, lost the run of itself and was panned almost entirely across the board. The Last Jedi inspired this kind of divide where many loved it and many despised it. What I’d see in common is that both had people seriously invested in theories and the outcomes involved, while the writers took some dramatic left turns away from them. I think that’s what’s getting to the crux of both the vitriol in the criticism as well as the bemusement of said vitriol. That’s not a comment on either side btw, just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I definitely agree that this season has had some serious issues, but the highs balance out the lows for me. It ends tomorrow and we’ll all argue and eventually move on to the next thing but **** me it’s been one hell of a ride! Highlight for me was Neds demise, that was the moment I realised that this was a different kind of program to what I’d ever seen before. GOT I salute you!

So we are all sitting up til 2am then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So we are all sitting up til 2am then

I am for the first time in my life IIRC. Better be worth it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I hope Bronn appears from nowhere, pulls a completely intact ballista from the rubble of KL and picks off Drogon from mid-air with a single one-handed shot whilst fighting off Grey Worm with the other hand. And then that sand snake bird what was in the dungeon emerges to climb onto what's left of the throne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

30 mins till the notepads come out for the whingebags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

ardinn wrote: »

My notebook is full and my pen ran out

It must be great for you to be able to whinge 24/7

Popcorn out for the people unable to look at this season objectively.

Game Of Thrones, the television adaptation ends not with a bang, but a whimper. So much promise. So many things that defied expectation, only to bow out tired at the finish.

We had season 1,2,3,4,6 and for that I'm greatful.

Advertisement