Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai to travel on trains and buses to tackle anti social behaviour

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Uniformed Garda on buses was the expected hot air blast in response to the NBRU cries. Not heard of any onboard in the last month.

They must have solved all the anti social behavior ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Uniformed Garda on buses was the expected hot air blast in response to the NBRU cries. Not heard of any onboard in the last month.

They must have solved all the anti social behavior ..

Hardly a surprise when Dermot O'Leary was more concerned about the ads on the side of buses than the safety of his members

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was in Latvia a couple of years ago and (quite unusually for there) a couple of young lads who had clearly taken 'something' started shouting and roaring at each other from either end of the bendy bus.

One old granny with a walking stick tackled the one at the front, while a couple of what looked like ex-army guys got the other. The bus pulled into the next stop and both were forcibly ejected and the normal folk carried on their way.

Oh boo hoo, human rights, captain of the GAA, never had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

spurious wrote: »
    I was in Latvia a couple of years ago and (quite unusually for there) a couple of young lads who had clearly taken 'something' started shouting and roaring at each other from either end of the bendy bus.

One old granny with a walking stick tackled the one at the front, while a couple of what looked like ex-army guys got the other. The bus pulled into the next stop and both were forcibly ejected and the normal folk carried on their way.

Oh boo hoo, human rights, captain of the GAA, never had a chance.

We'd charge the granny and two guys with assault, then offer the antisocial guys free counseling and legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Revenue Protection/Customer Service staff to get body cameras. The tender is for 200 of them.

https://www.q102.ie/news/bodycams-to-be-introduced-for-irish-rail-staff/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Revenue Protection/Customer Service staff to get body cameras.

There are NO staff at all on IR. If you know anything different fair enough.

This is BS. But maybe IR staff will be emboldened by a BodyCam and will be employed to travel on trains/Dart. We shall see.

They are noticeable by their absence quite frankly, so I am sceptical to say the least of it. But hope for the best anyway for the law abiding travelling public.

There are NO staff at all on IR. If you know anything different fair enough.

This is BS. But maybe IR staff will be emboldened by a BodyCam and will be employed to travel on trains/Dart. We shall see.

They are noticeable by their absence quite frankly, so I am sceptical to say the least of it. But hope for the best anyway for the law abiding travelling public.

Revenue protection regularly operate along the DART while the customer service on Intercity services will have them. Station staff having them will also be a big benefit.

They are at least trying, also noticeable major increase in security at commuter stations on Heuston side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Was on the Dart 2 weeks ago and a fella was assaulted at a different station and they pulled us all off our train for some reason and it was an hour and a half before the next one came. and this was on the Saturday night an hour before the stage time for the Lana Del Rey gig at Malahide, when they had to know it would be busy.

When we eventually got a train to Malahide there were two pairs of empty seats left which were facing each other and I went to sit on one. Quickly realized that my feet were sticking to the floor, it was split coke that had never been cleaned and when I looked down at this I discovered another lovely sight, a condom (dunno if it was used but it was out of the wrapper).

To avoid all that muck I had to put one foot on the seat in front of me and keep the other one at the very edge where the wall meets the floor. After we went through the station where your man was attacked a guard came through the train and barked at me to take my foot off the seat.

And if we had more guards on trains thats all theyd be doing. They wouldn't be stopping the serious stuff like violent assaults, or people who trash the trains or vandalize them or harrass people. They would still never be there when someone needed them.

Revenue protection regularly operate along the DART while the customer service on Intercity services will have them. Station staff having them will also be a big benefit.

They are at least trying, also noticeable major increase in security at commuter stations on Heuston side.

Why is there a problem with pre booked seats so on Inter City? No one to mediate from IR at all. The only personnel on board are the coffee servers AFAIS. They are life savers, don't get me wrong, but they have no legitimate powers to intervene do they?

To be fair, there are some intermittent RPOs on the DART, but too few IMO.

IR do not care one bit about the travelling public from what I see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Revenue Protection/Customer Service staff to get body cameras. The tender is for 200 of them.

To protect their revenue, not their customers.

• Advertisement

Why is there a problem with pre booked seats so on Inter City? No one to mediate from IR at all. The only personnel on board are the coffee servers AFAIS. They are life savers, don't get me wrong, but they have no legitimate powers to intervene do they?

To be fair, there are some intermittent RPOs on the DART, but too few IMO.

IR do not care one bit about the travelling public from what I see anyway.

Many intercity services have customer service officers on services now plus a major improvement in reservation system reliability.

To protect their revenue, not their customers.

They seem to protect neither IMV.

I reckon they are scaredy cats, but it's ok for the travelling public.

Beyond time IR was challenged on this. I bet the CEO is on 100k+ and has a parking space in town.

Many intercity services have customer service officers on services now plus a major improvement in reservation system reliability.

That is great news thanks. Was it tweeted or is that fact out there for those who need to know this. Passed me by I have to say. But good if it is true.

And "many" intercity services does not include them all either.

They seem to protect neither IMV.

I reckon they are scaredy cats, but it's ok for the travelling public.

Beyond time IR was challenged on this. I bet the CEO is on 100k+ and has a parking space in town.

I believe the CEO takes the train regularly.

Bet s/he doesn't have to deal with much trouble. Everyone will be kow towing to him/her.

And if s/he does not see the issues surrounding IR s/he is living in a bubble.

But you say s/he takes the train "regularly", that could be once a month. Couldn't it? more facts needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

From the recent puff piece in the times he seemed to live somewhere in wexford iirc while working from Dublin so I'd say he doesn't take the train on a day to day basis.

Like a lot of people in Ireland who are in a position to make a difference they don't practice what they preach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

The Luas Red Line Gardaí should have Ak-47’s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The Luas Red Line Gardaí should have Ak-47’s

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Security on the Dublin-westport train this evening, which I’ve never seen before.
    It’s making us wonder if they’re expecting trouble?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mvt wrote: »
    From the recent puff piece in the times he seemed to live somewhere in wexford iirc while working from Dublin so I'd say he doesn't take the train on a day to day basis.

Like a lot of people in Ireland who are in a position to make a difference they don't practice what they preach.
    From "I'd say he doesn't" to "I'm sure he doesn't" in two sentences?!
    They get free travel and his office is in Connolly Station so why wouldn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Addle wrote: »
    Security on the Dublin-westport train this evening, which I’ve never seen before.
    It’s making us wonder if they’re expecting trouble?!

Friday of the bank holiday weekend, Train going to Stag/Hen party central. It doesn't take a genius to figure there might be trouble on that train! I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Though you have no actual basis for concluding that he doesn't take the train regularly, right?

Though you have no actual basis for concluding that he doesn't take the train regularly, right?

You do know the difference between regularly & day to day, right??

is_that_so wrote: »
    From "I'd say he doesn't" to "I'm sure he doesn't" in two sentences?!
    They get free travel and his office is in Connolly Station so why wouldn't he?

Could you point out where I said " sure" please.

You do know the difference between regularly & day to day, right??
    OK, if you want to be pedantic, you know that you've no actual basis for saying that he doesn't take the train day to day, right?

OK, if you want to be pedantic, you know that you've no actual basis for saying that he doesn't take the train day to day, right?

Ha! You're so right- I've no actually basis for saying that the head of Irish Rail can effectively run it by commuting by train from rural wexford to Connolly station every working day.

Let me hang my head in shame :rolleyes:

Ha! You're so right- I've no actually basis for saying that the head of Irish Rail can effectively run it by commuting by train from rural wexford to Connolly station every working day.

Let me hang my head in shame :rolleyes:
    Shifting the goalposts there. It's not about whether he's effectively running it. The question is whether he uses the train regularly or not. And you've no idea whether he does or he doesn't, so maybe you should just leave that bit out.

Advertisement